Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On 04/26/2016, My Vote in the Democratic Presidential Primary for PA Will Be For...
Sec. Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY) 29 32.95%
Sen. Bernard "Bernie" Sanders (VT) 52 59.09%
I Plan to Vote for a Write-In Candidate 7 7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I wouldn't think so, Mrs. Clinton won easily in the 2008 primary, and Sanders is no Obama.
Sanders is no Obama? Can you elaborate on that? Not challenging it, just want to understand why you say it.

Also, I think people are underestimating states like CA and NY, not to mention all of New England when it comes to voting, but maybe the young people with massive college debt aren't going to vote. I do have a feeling they have given up on who represents the US, but not sure.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sanders is no Obama? Can you elaborate on that? Not challenging it, just want to understand why you say it.

Sanders isn't really the orator that Obama is, and he's just an old white guy. He isn't really bringing anything new to the table.

Further, Hillary did beat Obama here. I can't see Sanders being able to do anything that much better than Obama to change that.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Just to throw in my two cents, for what they're worth.

I will be voting for Secretary Clinton without hesitation come primary day and will be doing so for pragmatic reasons.

First, let me preface this by saying that I am a tremendous fan of the current President and would vote for him again if the 22nd Amendment didn't prevent him running. I think all too often we underestimate the gains and successes of the Obama administration. That being said, I certainly view this election on a mandate on President Obama and with the realization that another four years of a Democratic President affords the opportunity to cement many of his achievements, not just legislatively but administratively.

My biggest criticism of the Obama presidency is that it took him far too long to recognize the now obvious truth that Republican obstructionism was going to thwart his agenda at every opportunity and that legislative victories, even those forged through mutual compromise, would prove virtually non-existent. I see no possibility that Secretary Clinton, on the day she is sworn in, would harbor any similar illusions. Furthermore, I trust her knowledge of the levers of power within DC to continue the advancement of the Democratic agenda through the administrative state.

Senator Sanders' "political revolution" is always based on the premise that if he's elected President, the composition of Congress will be radically altered as well. Given that the country is essentially a 50/50 split, especially when viewed through a State-centric lens and not a straight popular vote one, and the Founders specifically designed the system to prevent swift revolutions or the "tyranny of the majority". Accordingly, my fear is that, when President Sanders is faced with a hostile, obstructionist Congress, his rhetoric falls on deaf ears and little is accomplished. I don't see him winning those fights. In all of his years as a Senator, he's never demonstrated the ability to get much of anything accomplished and I don't have the sense that he's a practiced bureaucratic infighter. He'd be perfectly fine as President with Democratic majorities in Congress, but that likelihood appears remote at best.

The criticisms of Clinton seemed largely minor, at least to me. I highly doubt that she's charged with any crime regarding her email use, nor should she be.

None of this is particularly sexy or overly inspirational but nevertheless, it's true. I have little desire to return to a Republican presidency. I get that many of the Sanders supporters have little memory of life under one and by no means do look down upon their political idealism. I think Senator Sanders has done the party a tremendous service by sharpening Senator Clinton's campaign and pressuring her into recognizing and addressing the concerns of the Democratic left.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:03 AM

831 posts, read 872,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Governor Kasich of Ohio is the only presidential candidate on the GOP side who doesn't seem to be harboring any animus about same-sex marriage, for example.
For what it's worth, that's not just a Republican thing. Traditionally Democratic African-Americans vote very strongly against same-sex marriage. The poisonous effect of religion is everywhere.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:08 AM

831 posts, read 872,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
It's a non-issue for anyone who was not already dead-set against seeing another Clinton in the White House. Only the ditto-heads and FOX News viewers care about this crap. They're not voting for any Democrat anyway, so it's not going to be much of a factor in this election.
This is not true.

I voted for Pres. Clinton both times and I abhor Fox News. However, in my mind what happened with the email servers is SHADY. I would have otherwise voted for her most likely, but regardless of the outcome, there was no reason to have a private server other than to hide things. There are huge trust issues with Hillary Clinton, and that's pretty much what would make me not vote for her.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I wouldn't think so, Mrs. Clinton won easily in the 2008 primary, and Sanders is no Obama.
Hillary won West Virginia in 2008 too, and Bernie (according to polling) is way ahead there.

Hillary's 2016 coalition is totally different from her 2008 coalition. Black people are supporting her this time, and lower-income white people, by and large, are not.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:19 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Just to throw in my two cents, for what they're worth.
None of this is particularly sexy or overly inspirational but nevertheless, it's true. I have little desire to return to a Republican presidency. I get that many of the Sanders supporters have little memory of life under one and by no means do look down upon their political idealism. I think Senator Sanders has done the party a tremendous service by sharpening Senator Clinton's campaign and pressuring her into recognizing and addressing the concerns of the Democratic left.
Yes, this is where I can find common ground with most Clinton supporters. I do have vivid memories of life under both Bushes, and reasonably clear memories of life under Reagan...and honestly today's GOP is so far to the right of all three that I'm sincerely worried about what a Republican presidency would do, especially with the gerrymandered House of Paul Ryan. (Though even Ryan has the decency to be apparently worried about The Donald.)

I never really thought Sanders would pull it off, but I still think it's important that his message is sending a wake-up call to the Democratic party.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:02 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
This is not true.

I voted for Pres. Clinton both times and I abhor Fox News. However, in my mind what happened with the email servers is SHADY. I would have otherwise voted for her most likely, but regardless of the outcome, there was no reason to have a private server other than to hide things. There are huge trust issues with Hillary Clinton, and that's pretty much what would make me not vote for her.
This.

The acceptance of corruption and deception by some is mind-boggling...and she's not even the President yet.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
This is not true.

So I guess .... Colin Powell having a private email server was equally shady? As well many top Washington officials before her.

Why is it NOW a problem when it's HRC running for president ..... and was not a problem to anyone prior .... If some one can give me a justifiable reason as to why Now, and Not then. Benghazi was witch-hunt drummed up by Repubs .... This same "scandal" spawned from the Benghazi hoax ... Yet this is the Real Thing and Benghazi wasn't even though both are being hyped by Republicans.

Why is it everything the FBI deemed classified after the search of her server. Why hasn't the FBI found a smoking gun YET?

Again this is partisan witch hunt .... I can't believe folks are Gullible and Naive enough to believe these smokescreens created by the opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
This.

The acceptance of corruption and deception by some is mind-boggling...and she's not even the President yet.
All of Washington is Corrupt and Deceitful, Its the name of game in that town ... Either you play the game, or you get eaten up ....

I'm rather glad Hillary isn't writing checks she knows she can't cash. I fell for that with Obama, I'm not so gullible this time around .... Sanders is promising folks Freebies and Goodies, even he knows he can't possibly deliver with this Congress. Yet it doesn't stop him from continuing to pedal that "Hope and Change" x10 rhetoric. Deceitful much, Bernie?

Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Considering you're basing your vote on "ITS TIME", you've already defined the definition of gullible pages back.

As to Sanders, people just love hearing free stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh