Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 11,479 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone, I'm from brooklyn, NY and in the process of moving to Pittsburgh. I wanted to start in McKeesport due low housing price and hoping to invest in a property. Ive read some threads on the area and some are good and bad, the house I'm choosing to stay at is on Manor ave (a block from the Little theater) and wanted to know how is that part of McKeesport? Prices in NY are getting ridiculous and its time to get out. Any info would be great and Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I think that is a better area in McKeesport,they are building a new school down the street. Preservation pioneer would have a better understanding of that area if you can message him. I had worked in that area alot but that was a few years ago.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 PM

Thanks Guy2073, I'll pm him now

Old 03-08-2016, 02:21 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Hi there! I live in McKeesport and love my city. I would be glad to show you around when you visit. McKeesport has a lot of problems and Pittsburghers tend to look down on the city. It is a depressed place, and we have crime problems and many vacant homes, however we have awesome property development opportunities at rock bottom prices, many city amenities, and gorgeous historic homes and buildings. McKeesport isn't for the faint of heart, but if you are interested in rolling up your sleeves and working to improve a fascinating historic river city, do plan a visit. There is much to explore. Some neighborhoods are stable. The house you are considering is in the Library District, which is one of McKeesport's better neighborhoods. Before you make a decision, let me show you around. I volunteer with the McKeesport Preservation Society, and we are trying to find new owners for several Victorian mansions that are endangered by long term abandonment and neglect. 559 Shaw and 610 Shaw (once Millionaire's Row) are currently available. 559 Shaw is a turn of the century brick mansion with solid bones that will need complete renovation. The asking price is only $8,700. There are many more.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
One thing to know about the Library District is that yes it's a safe, quiet, stable community oriented area; however, it's surrounded by other 7th Ward neighborhoods that are notably not so nice... Carnegie St & the corresponding blocks of Library & Manor are fine. But once you cross Union Ave your in a different reality. Lee St/ Library St/ Manor Ave @ Beech Street/ Union Ave is not the area to frequent after dark alone. The Libary District is surrounded by McKee City Blood gangs which are active on Bailie Avenue (including the near by 1400blk) & in "UpTown" (across Versaillies Ave in 6th Ward). Most people who live there probably don't fear crime too much, but if your seriously looking into the property in question then I hope you have streets smarts... Perhaps drive around Versailles, Union, Flagger, Coursin, Centenial, Beech & Bailie during a warm evening to get a vibe of near by 7th Ward. Living around that area would quickly teach you street smarts if you didn't have them already.

I would move there without hesitation if I had to live in McKeesport... I'm just saying don't be surprised if there's a homicide at the other end of the street or two streets over.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
But if your from Brooklyn perhaps City neighborhoods like Uptown aka the Bluff, South Oakland, Bloomfield, Polish Hill, Lower Hill, Greenfield or Duetschtown would appeal to you more than an area in the Mon Valley.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Thanks for replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh