U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2020, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Etna, PA
2,005 posts, read 1,149,574 times
Reputation: 1965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well, I honestly feel this is a time for learning for those of us that don't live there. I won't judge them at all. At this point I probably would agree with them to not come forward as a witness.

1. People know the shooters and their family and friends.
2. People are in fear of the shooters and family and friends and if they come forward they will be a target and fast.
3. People don't trust the police to help in any way, not because the police won't do their job, but they can't have a car outside a witness house for the rest of that witnesses life.

I honestly feel for people near this mass killing. I used to judge the people that wouldn't come forward, but I was ignorant. I can say now actually feel they might be doing the right thing by just keeping quiet. The risks are too high to be a witness. It makes me very sad to be honest, but I don't have an answer. I also have no problem reflecting back and realizing the wrongs I have done. How else would I learn to be a better person. To think about all of this situation is really mind numbing. The person that was accused of the shooting is still in jail, but he will get out. Then what? There are probably some that know what most likely will happen.

Is there any answer to this? I honestly don't think there is at this time. The people not coming forward are smart. It is their best way to survive. At least that is how I feel now. If you don't come forward in this situation, that says a lot and we need to step back and learn.

On the flip side, I feel Wendy Bell was treated very poorly because I understand she just had the feeling of hopelessness towards people living in such fear. There is no learning to attack her perspective like people did. No gain, just hate. To gain something, you would have to engage, not just kick a can down the street. The wrongs are all over the place unless you prefer to kick a can, which is what most everyone is doing.
Yes, I have compassion for the innocent, decent people who live in neighborhoods like this. I would likely consider just keeping my head down too - especially considering I have a child.

What frustrates me so much though are the professional agitators - those who scream loudly at outsiders and think its their right to shut down Fifth Avenue, but who don't (publicly at least, perhaps things are done privately) advocate for fixing the cultures of their communities. Again - cop shoots a kid who just got done gang-banging and its 'shut the city down, this is intolerable' - but 'snitches get stitches' just gets met with a shrug and a 'thats how it is'. Its frustrating, and more than that - its just sad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2020, 07:38 AM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
20,915 posts, read 20,102,842 times
Reputation: 13286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Yes, I have compassion for the innocent, decent people who live in neighborhoods like this. I would likely consider just keeping my head down too - especially considering I have a child.

What frustrates me so much though are the professional agitators - those who scream loudly at outsiders and think its their right to shut down Fifth Avenue, but who don't (publicly at least, perhaps things are done privately) advocate for fixing the cultures of their communities. Again - cop shoots a kid who just got done gang-banging and its 'shut the city down, this is intolerable' - but 'snitches get stitches' just gets met with a shrug and a 'thats how it is'. Its frustrating, and more than that - its just sad.
It is a good point. I am at least trying to understand things as best as I can. I'm called racist all the time by people on here, but really I am trying to enter other people's shoes and get them better.

I usually side with officers especially if they are alone have a bullet riddled car pulled over that fits the exact description of a group that just came from an attempted murder. Someone flees that car, they should be shot unless there is a lot of backup for detaining. East Pittsburgh doesn't have that backup for sure. How else can you keep law and order if you can't even forcefully detain those just coming from an attempted murder? So they protest it. They meaning people that feel they should protest which as you can see from photos of the protesters, race has nothing to do with that at all. A very mixed crowed. So why are they protesting that? I honestly don't know and have trouble figuring it out. They just feel an officer should allow someone to flee when being detained for attempted murder? I don't think I can be on board with that, but I want to understand more at least. How can you hate police enough to even protest shooting someone fleeing a car filled with people clearly involved in an attempted murder? How does the brain go there? That is a lot of hate/blame to get there I think and a long history of distrust? Lets say the same thing happened in Springdale. Most of the residents would say, he got what he deserved. So why is there such a contrast?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Ben Avon/Kilbuck
1,560 posts, read 548,342 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a good point. I am at least trying to understand things as best as I can. I'm called racist all the time by people on here, but really I am trying to enter other people's shoes and get them better.

I dont know you to say you are or arent. It frustrates me that people now throw that racist term around too free when people of different races disagree. It takes the power away from the word and harms to entire point. When I was young I know if someone was call a racist they were doing something bad to another person and now you just don't know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
12,382 posts, read 6,711,144 times
Reputation: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I dont know you to say you are or arent. It frustrates me that people now throw that racist term around too free when people of different races disagree. It takes the power away from the word and harms to entire point. When I was young I know if someone was call a racist they were doing something bad to another person and now you just don't know.
Calling someone racist is an easy attack. However, it’s also getting to where people simply aren’t buying it anymore. The entire Myles Garrett/Mason Rudolph dealio is a perfect example of crying wolf.

As to the shooting, there’s obviously people that know but won’t help with info, and now that the dust has settled, I’m curious to see how much attention the case receives compared to when it first happened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
20,915 posts, read 20,102,842 times
Reputation: 13286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I dont know you to say you are or arent. It frustrates me that people now throw that racist term around too free when people of different races disagree. It takes the power away from the word and harms to entire point. When I was young I know if someone was call a racist they were doing something bad to another person and now you just don't know.
Well people have to choose to look at a different perspective or discount it by calling the other person a racist. Seems easier to call someone a name than discuss a subject. It is about impossible to discuss crime statistics or issues like that with the intolerant far left. They really have blinders on, but most extreme parties are out of touch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,313 posts, read 69,909,423 times
Reputation: 16972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a good point. I am at least trying to understand things as best as I can. I'm called racist all the time by people on here, but really I am trying to enter other people's shoes and get them better.

I usually side with officers especially if they are alone have a bullet riddled car pulled over that fits the exact description of a group that just came from an attempted murder. Someone flees that car, they should be shot unless there is a lot of backup for detaining. East Pittsburgh doesn't have that backup for sure. How else can you keep law and order if you can't even forcefully detain those just coming from an attempted murder? So they protest it. They meaning people that feel they should protest which as you can see from photos of the protesters, race has nothing to do with that at all. A very mixed crowed. So why are they protesting that? I honestly don't know and have trouble figuring it out. They just feel an officer should allow someone to flee when being detained for attempted murder? I don't think I can be on board with that, but I want to understand more at least. How can you hate police enough to even protest shooting someone fleeing a car filled with people clearly involved in an attempted murder? How does the brain go there? That is a lot of hate/blame to get there I think and a long history of distrust? Lets say the same thing happened in Springdale. Most of the residents would say, he got what he deserved. So why is there such a contrast?
An officer is justified in using lethal force to "dispatch" (i.e. "eliminate") someone fleeing from a traffic stop that was conducted to investigate felonious circumstances in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania IF the officer feels that permitting the subject to evade his or her pursuit would result in continued harm to the officer or others in the general public.

The officer can't just shoot someone fleeing from a felonious traffic stop "cuz they can" or "cuz they shouldn't have run".

Rosfeld was acquitted because jurors incurred enough reasonable doubt due to the testimony that was conveyed during proceedings to decide that given the circumstances and given the fact that Rosfeld THOUGHT Rose was armed and may have just been involved in a drive-by that letting him get away could have posed danger to others in the community. As a result he opened fire to subdue the perceived threat.

Now, would Rosfeld have also opened fire if Rose was Caucasian instead of African-American? I think that may have been a legitimate point of concern for the protesters since it seems like officers are more "trigger-happy" in these situations towards African-American males vs. Caucasian males due to statistics.

In my opinion if someone is fleeing a felonious traffic stop and may be a danger to the community, then I'd support an officer using lethal action regardless of race of the alleged perpetrator.

What would have happened if Rose WAS armed, and Rosfeld DID let him get away, and then Rose forcefully carjacked someone a few blocks away and shot them in the process?

I still don't understand why Mayor Peduto (Pittsburgh) and not Mayor Payne (East Pittsburgh) took ownership of this entire ordeal. I also still don't understand why Pittsburgh hasn't sought reimbursement from East Pittsburgh for the seven-figure police overtime bill we city taxpayers incurred from the protesters who elected to block streets in Pittsburgh instead of East Pittsburgh even though Pittsburgh had nothing to do with this. Did Mayor Payne ever publicly thank Mayor Peduto for taking the heat off East Pittsburgh? If not, then why not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,313 posts, read 69,909,423 times
Reputation: 16972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well people have to choose to look at a different perspective or discount it by calling the other person a racist. Seems easier to call someone a name than discuss a subject. It is about impossible to discuss crime statistics or issues like that with the intolerant far left. They really have blinders on, but most extreme parties are out of touch.
There's only one or two East End posters on here who are apt to call you a racist. Those same two posters also do "hit and run" verbal attacks against me from time to time, and I'm pretty far left of center overall politically with the exception of law enforcement (I'm very pro-police in MOST circumstances, but as a "true liberal" I'm supposed to follow #ACAB).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 07:19 PM
 
56 posts, read 20,857 times
Reputation: 87
Technically this didn't happen in Pittsburgh, so I really think this thread should be moved to the Pennsylvania forum. Wilkensburg is Pennsylvania's problem, not Pittsburgh's. Pittsburgh is America's most livable city. Everyone wants to move here. We don't want prospective transplants reading about this incident, and associating it with Pittsburgh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 07:28 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
20,915 posts, read 20,102,842 times
Reputation: 13286
Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
Technically this didn't happen in Pittsburgh, so I really think this thread should be moved to the Pennsylvania forum. Wilkensburg is Pennsylvania's problem, not Pittsburgh's. Pittsburgh is America's most livable city. Everyone wants to move here. We don't want prospective transplants reading about this incident, and associating it with Pittsburgh.
Ha, ha, ha. You have got to be kidding me. So all suburbs of Pittsburgh are going away from the Pittsburgh forum. ha, ha, ha

Please stay on the sidelines. Pittsburgh is TINY! 300,000 people. You want this forum to die? Better include the metro if you want a real forum. What about all the work that has been done by eschaton for our region? That should be deleted? People looking to work here should just not think about living in Aspinwall for example if they have 5 kids? Hardly.

NEXT!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Etna, PA
2,005 posts, read 1,149,574 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I still don't understand why Mayor Peduto (Pittsburgh) and not Mayor Payne (East Pittsburgh) took ownership of this entire ordeal. I also still don't understand why Pittsburgh hasn't sought reimbursement from East Pittsburgh for the seven-figure police overtime bill we city taxpayers incurred from the protesters who elected to block streets in Pittsburgh instead of East Pittsburgh even though Pittsburgh had nothing to do with this. Did Mayor Payne ever publicly thank Mayor Peduto for taking the heat off East Pittsburgh? If not, then why not?
Because your beloved Bicycle Bill is an 'attention ho' who can't resist media attention so that he can pretend he's the Great Progressive Messiah. And Bicycle Bill is the one who allowed those shenanigans to go on (the road closures).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There's only one or two East End posters on here who are apt to call you a racist. Those same two posters also do "hit and run" verbal attacks against me from time to time, and I'm pretty far left of center overall politically with the exception of law enforcement (I'm very pro-police in MOST circumstances, but as a "true liberal" I'm supposed to follow #ACAB).
Yep yep - they also love to do drive-bys on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screechingweasel View Post
Technically this didn't happen in Pittsburgh, so I really think this thread should be moved to the Pennsylvania forum. Wilkensburg is Pennsylvania's problem, not Pittsburgh's. Pittsburgh is America's most livable city. Everyone wants to move here. We don't want prospective transplants reading about this incident, and associating it with Pittsburgh.
Are you sarcastic, or serious, or high?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top