Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times

Advertisements

One set of my great grandparents came to Pittsburgh from the Palatinate region of western Germany on the French border. During the failed 1848 revolutions, they wanted to become their own country. When that failed, many moved to America.

Given this thread's discussion, Pittsburgh was a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
One set of my great grandparents came to Pittsburgh from the Palatinate region of western Germany on the French border. During the failed 1848 revolutions, they wanted to become their own country. When that failed, many moved to America.
My great-grandfather was an ethnic German who fled Austria Hungary on the even of World War 1. His father warned him that war was coming, and he would likely be shot by his commanding officer for insubordination if forced to serve.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
This is arguably the most important conversation of our time...

Pittsburgh is ~375 miles from the Eastern Coast of the US, which is roughly the same distance from the Western Coast of the US to Phoenix AZ.

Thus, I can only conclude that If Pittsburgh is the "Midwest" then Phoenix must be the "Mideast".

*drops mic*

Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post

Pittsburgh is ~375 miles from the Eastern Coast of the US, which is roughly the same distance from the Western Coast of the US to Phoenix AZ.

Thus, I can only conclude that If Pittsburgh is the "Midwest" then Phoenix must be the "Mideast".

*drops mic*
240 miles from the Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Hard to believe anyone would argue against it being Northeast.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Hard to believe anyone would argue against it being Northeast.
No one questions Atlanta's place in the Southeast, even though it sits west of Detroit and has the entire state of Florida to its south, but the northeast apparently ends 50 miles from the Atlantic.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post

*drops mic*
We're actually not even that far from the coast. The Chesapeake Bay is 200 miles from Pittsburgh. The Amboys in New Jersey, which are basically right on the Atlantic, are 300 miles east of Pittsburgh. That's not very far west in a country 2,600 miles wide. The best way to see how a region defines itself is to go to an online white pages, and see how many businesses use various regional nomenclature. Places that have weak ties to an overall region will tend to use local nomenclature, as opposed to regional. A good place to start is Indy. You will find dozens, and dozens of businesses with Midwest in the name. Indy is maybe the quintessential Midwestern city, and it identifies very strongly with the region. Contrast this with Cleveland. Cleveland is generally viewed as part of the Midwest, and most Clevelanders would agree with this. Despite this, there are far fewer businesses with Midwest in the name than in Indy. What you do find, are lots of businesses with Cuyahoga, or North Coast in the name, signifying that Cleveland views itself much more in a local context, than in a regional, and that it's Midwestern self identity is much weaker than Indy's. In Pittsburgh, Midwest nomenclature is virtually nil. Pittsburgh does not view itself as part of the Midwest, and never has. You will find lots of local nomenclature (Allegheny, Mon, Monongahela, Three Rivers etc.). You will also find, Mid Atlantic, used quite a bit.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one questions Atlanta's place in the Southeast, even though it sits west of Detroit and has the entire state of Florida to its south, but the northeast apparently ends 50 miles from the Atlantic.
Da 'burgh is northeast, even though it has no bearing on anything I'm aware of. Is there any significance or benefits as to which area you think it should be in?

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
We are on the Appalacian Steppe...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
If you go by an award winning author/researchers 11 distinct cultural 'nations'. Pittsburgh is not part of 'Greater Appalacia', let alone the capital

Tufts Magazine / fall 2013
Now that I've read more of the link, I really wonder why this guy got any award. He seems to have some agenda. Calling a part of the country "El Norte" seems a bit racist, but what can you expect from someone from Boston who is rather clueless about the Southwest? I like that he calls my part of the country "the far west"; it makes us sound far-out! He's right that we distrust the feds, but he's wrong that we're beholden to some "corporate masters" on the east and west coasts. (Not that it's the subject of this thread, of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's actually tied for #1, with NYC and Boston. All three are 36% catholic.
OK. I guess they were just listed alphabetically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh