Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help with suggestions for where to move near Pittsburgh. I've been looking at different locations for about two months now and I always find myself back where I started. Honestly, the only thing my family and I can agree on is that we're looking to be around 30 minutes to an hour and half away from the city because we work non-traditional jobs, so there's no need to be *in* Pittsburgh.

Background

* Family of four- Me, my fiance, elderly mother, and younger sister
* My fiance, sister, and I are aged 30/26/30
* Love nature, gardening, walking, and generally anything involving the great outdoors. Parks, outdoor activities a must.
* We're coming from Northwest Indiana, so we're used to Chicago and city living, but it's not what we want
* Safe area, low crime, not a lot of people
* Open to small neighborhoods, but would prefer something with space between neighbors and a nice, large yard for our dogs (Golden Retriever, Pyrenees, and a mutt that just decided she wanted to stay with us)
* Small town feel with locally-owned businesses
* Mom, sister, and I are crafters (painting, wood-working, needle-felting, not that it's important, but an art supply store is a necessary nearby)
* Mom is from PA (Uniontown)
* Looking for family-friendly locales
* Looking for a long-term place, so renting is out of the question.
* No one wants to live close to Ohio because there's family in Ohio along the PA border that don't get along with people, so we don't want anyone dropping by

I've looked into Butler County, and there are some pros we found there, but I've read on other forums it may not be so good thanks to theft and some other issues.

Ugh, that list seems like a lot. I'm sorry. I'm just hoping for some ideas.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 05:10 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Greensburg sounds like a great fit! I'd also suggest Zelienople (Butler County); however, it is indeed quite close to the Ohio border, which would be a no-no for those unwanted family visits.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 PM

140 posts, read 166,226 times
Not too sure if you all have employment already lined up or not, so I'm kind of guessing on geographic area..

CRAFTON!!!
Can't hype this place enough! Beautiful homes & super convienent to everything..
Close to:
376 (with no need to ever use the tunnel!)
West busway
Shopping

There are some parts that are relatively densley packed (though still enough room for the dogs), but if you look closely, there some very VERY secluded areas as well...

Old 03-21-2016, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan_152 View Post
Not too sure if you all have employment already lined up or not, so I'm kind of guessing on geographic area..

CRAFTON!!!
Can't hype this place enough! Beautiful homes & super convienent to everything..
Close to:
376 (with no need to ever use the tunnel!)
West busway
Shopping

There are some parts that are relatively densley packed (though still enough room for the dogs), but if you look closely, there some very VERY secluded areas as well...
We do have jobs lined up. The fiance and I are writers for different publications, and I teach media courses online through my local university (Purdue Cal), so we have the luxury of being able to move wherever since we don't have to be at a physical location (even though I do have a license to teach grades 6-12 if need-be). I will check out Crafton. Thank you!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM

395 posts, read 488,451 times
I have heard some of the northern suburbs such as Harrison Township are like that with the houses farther apart from each other but I don't know because I am mostly just familiar with the Southern and parts of the Eastern area. Maybe you might want to check out the Western suburbs ( Crafton's in the West)?It's pretty hard to find houses far apart from each other in the Greater Pittsburgh area. You're go to somewhere that looks other wise rural and there will still be houses by each other. Talking of which, can anyone tell me why that is so?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 17,518 times
Quote:
Honestly, the only thing my family and I can agree on is that we're looking to be around 30 minutes to an hour and half away from the city because we work non-traditional jobs, so there's no need to be *in* Pittsburgh.
I will second Zelienople - an old, walkable town that's convenient to Pittsburgh and in a great school district (which will help resale even if kids aren't in the agenda).

As cool as Zilly is, I STRONGLY urge you to check out Slippery Rock. Awesome small town feel and very, very artsy. It's a little further north (about an hour to downtown Pittsburgh) but the proximity to 79 makes it an easy drive. Two awesome annual events are Villagefest and The Pennsic War at Cooper's Lake - definitely worth a google search. North Country Brewery, located right downtown, is a hippie/rustic themed brewery (their beer can be found throughout the Western Pa area) featuring live local music every weekend. Although the town is technically a college town (SRU is growing every year), the students-taking-over vibe just isn't there like so many other college towns. Twenty minutes outside of Slippery Rock is the Grove City Prime Outlets which offers some of the best retail in Western Pa.

Sorry if I sound like a travel brochure! ...I'm a little biased, but I've lived in quite a few small towns, and none could ever compare to the Slimy Pebble's authenticity.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Your budget will determine locale in the Pittsburgh region, especially for wanting a large yard along the I-79 corridor, and you didn't mention that.

If you desire to be away from the Ohio border, then I would check out Westmoreland County. The art scene is big there too.

* The Pennsic War is a private event.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 03-21-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I would say Waynesburg or beaver area

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Check out Ligonier. Beautiful town.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ligonier.jpg

Old 03-22-2016, 08:13 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
depending on budget, and how much of a town you need/want, you have lots of options.

beaver, sewickley, Slippery rock, Franklin, clarion, mercer, hermitage, zelienople, murrysville, greensburg, ligonier all could be possibilities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh