Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:32 PM

778 posts, read 840,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I used to live like a block from Mr. Spam, and I would have been all for permit parking. When I first moved there in 2007, there was limited issues with parking, but it became worse over time, to the point where parking within two blocks of my home became difficult.

The lack of permit parking really exacerbated the parking issue, in part because all of the other residential portions of Lawrenceville had permit parking. So when people came to Lawrenceville in the evening to socialize, they chose to park there. Worse, I know people used the area as a "park and ride" during the day - parking their car in the neighborhood and taking the 91 into town.

I do think the City needs to streamline its permit parking system however. There is no real need for more than one permit zone per neighborhood.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the City and/or PAT really needs to get a better grip on Park and Ride. Our transit system is not extensive enough to assume that every single person who lives in the city limits can walk to a bus stop that will get them where they need to go. Park and Ride is a thing. It will never stop being a thing. The fact that the only official Park and Ride lots are outside the city limits means that people in town who need to get to work/school but don't live anywhere near a bus that will accomplish that are going to park in some neighborhood somewhere and then get on the bus. Yes, bikes, yes taking a long long walk but let's be real. Pittsburgh has weather and hills. Not everyone is a 4-season cycle warrior. Some people are older, infirm, have babies, etc... So, sorry for parking in yinz neighborhoods* in the, like, 2 blocks that isn't already permitted and metered at $2+/hour, but needs must. I promise to honor your parking chairs.

*Though usually not Lawrenceville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 03:28 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Oh, gross. Just got that in the mail today too. Aside from the ATROCIOUS grammar and spelling issues, what terrible news. I sometimes have to park up to 4 blocks away on weekends AND a bunch of spots were recently permanently removed from my block and I still have no interest in paying for a permit.
Let's keep some perspective here, it's $20 a year.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
What does that $$$ get used for?

Old 03-25-2016, 04:03 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
+ not being able to have many visitors over as they'll get ticketed be p*ssed for coming

Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
+ not being able to have many visitors over as they'll get ticketed be p*ssed for coming
Sounds like the plan. More $$$ for permits...and more $$$ from tix should discourage enough people from visiting...and don't worry about the businesses getting patronized.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Sounds like the plan. More $$$ for permits...and more $$$ from tix should discourage enough people from visiting...and don't worry about the businesses getting patronized.
Anyone who won't patronize a business over pay parking in a city is pretty lazy, IMO. My favorite time of year is holiday shopping season, when I watch the soccer moms in Range Rovers cruising around the neighborhood looking for free parking in their $80k+ vehicle.

The bigger issue is actually finding parking at all. The city needs to address both Larrwnceville and the South Side by adding garages. Permitted parking for residents coupled with garage parking for visitors would be most ideal.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Anyone who won't patronize a business over pay parking in a city is pretty lazy, IMO. My favorite time of year is holiday shopping season, when I watch the soccer moms in Range Rovers cruising around the neighborhood looking for free parking in their $80k+ vehicle.

The bigger issue is actually finding parking at all. The city needs to address both Larrwnceville and the South Side by adding garages. Permitted parking for residents coupled with garage parking for visitors would be most ideal.
If your favorite time of the year is watching people in Range Rover's looking for free parking, that's pretty depressing.

Yeah, I never said or insinuated anything about paying to park. I responded to Ukyank about less visitors coming to visit due to them getting tix. Zero to do with free parking.

Now you're getting it. With less/no parking at all, less people are going to patronize those businesses.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 PM

373 posts, read 378,082 times
Quote:
Sure, it's $20 that will still mean that people will park on my block while they spend 'an hour' at a restaurant on Butler Street. I won't see any value from that money, so I'm not interested in paying it. It doesn't appear that it will help anyone, to be honest.

And as others have said, if my block (which is right off Butler Street) becomes permit parking, then where are people supposed to park to patronize Butler Street businesses? This is my constant frustration with South Side - I'd gladly pay to park but there isn't anywhere to do that. Those lots are always full. So how will a place with even less paid parking handle a reduction in free spaces?

It's really a lose-lose.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:43 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
It doesn't help that the same brain trust puts limited hour (2 hour) parking restrictions on meters to further exacerbate the situation for merchants.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 PM

New at 5:45: what pittsburgh is doing with an extra $10m in cash and how it benefits you next! - scoopnest.com

Didn't catch the story but an extra $10m is a whole lotta parking $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh