Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Just got a letter from City Planning, they said a number of our neighbors here north of Butler in the 9th Ward don't care for the idea of parking for free on the street.

Apparently they are going to have a hearing before they start forcing residents to pony up more money to the city.

I guess the younger generation moving in doesn't like the idea of free parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM

354 posts, read 475,475 times
Well, have fun with that.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:12 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Just got a letter from City Planning, they said a number of our neighbors here north of Butler in the 9th Ward don't care for the idea of parking for free on the street.

Apparently they are going to have a hearing before they start forcing residents to pony up more money to the city.

I always expect to pay for parking when visiting any city...but wouldn't be interested in paying to park where I live.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-24-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 PM

373 posts, read 377,894 times
Oh, gross. Just got that in the mail today too. Aside from the ATROCIOUS grammar and spelling issues, what terrible news. I sometimes have to park up to 4 blocks away on weekends AND a bunch of spots were recently permanently removed from my block and I still have no interest in paying for a permit.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:11 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

If it's anything like the recent permit parking in my neighborhood it's certainly not the young people in favor of permit parking.

As a word of warning, it's super easy to get an area permit only, but after, the city decides the enforcement hours & such & it's nearly impossible to modify or get rid of after its in place.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If it's anything like the recent permit parking in my neighborhood it's certainly not the young people in favor of permit parking.

As a word of warning, it's super easy to get an area permit only, but after, the city decides the enforcement hours & such & it's nearly impossible to modify or get rid of after its in place.
The city like to keep coming back with these. There was a petition a few years ago here that was defeated, and they are back already.

When I lived on the South Side, the city proposed permit parking dozens of times. It was defeated when I was there, but apparently they got it installed now.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
I always thought the residents had to propose it, and then the city simply facilitates the process. Isn’t that the case?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I always thought the residents had to propose it, and then the city simply facilitates the process. Isn’t that the case?
The city tries to push it, they sent me a letter in today's mail. But you are right, some of the new residents in the area are part of the effort to get this imposed here.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I used to live like a block from Mr. Spam, and I would have been all for permit parking. When I first moved there in 2007, there was limited issues with parking, but it became worse over time, to the point where parking within two blocks of my home became difficult.

The lack of permit parking really exacerbated the parking issue, in part because all of the other residential portions of Lawrenceville had permit parking. So when people came to Lawrenceville in the evening to socialize, they chose to park there. Worse, I know people used the area as a "park and ride" during the day - parking their car in the neighborhood and taking the 91 into town.

I do think the City needs to streamline its permit parking system however. There is no real need for more than one permit zone per neighborhood.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I do think the City needs to streamline its permit parking system however. There is no real need for more than one permit zone per neighborhood.
Multiple zones per neighborhood is absolutely absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh