Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh does a very good job of growing its own black professionals, and many who come out of Pittsburgh and to leave. But if you come to Pittsburgh with the right resume, your race probably won't hold you back. There isn't much in the way of the black night life, especially not the young, cool variety. I moved here in my 30s, as a husband and father, and I quite like it. I probably wouldn't say the same had I moved here single, and in my 20s.
Oh I don't know. Black people would have to mix with white people for nightlife for the most part. Imagine that! Mixed! OMGoodness, say it isn't so! Seriously, times are very different now. There are no nightclubs left and really only restaurant/bar type places. That is just the sign of the times and not a Pittsburgh thing. Young people don't go out and dance much at all. I think they are afraid they will be filmed via smartphone and posted on the web for others to make fun of. Just different times is all. Glad I grew up back when I did. Now most young people are just on smartphones when they go out and don't really communicate.

Anyway, it is hard to find a mostly black place to go out and enjoy, but there are some. I think CJ's closed. The Savoy is still open and could be an option. I have been there, but a very long time ago. It was nice back then, but I am a whitey and probably can't grasp if a place is nice or not.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Oh I don't know. Black people would have to mix with white people for nightlife for the most part. Imagine that! Mixed! OMGoodness, say it isn't so! Seriously, times are very different now. There are no nightclubs left and really only restaurant/bar type places. That is just the sign of the times and not a Pittsburgh thing. Young people don't go out and dance much at all. I think they are afraid they will be filmed via smartphone and posted on the web for others to make fun of. Just different times is all. Glad I grew up back when I did. Now most young people are just on smartphones when they go out and don't really communicate.

Anyway, it is hard to find a mostly black place to go out and enjoy, but there are some. I think CJ's closed. The Savoy is still open and could be an option. I have been there, but a very long time ago. It was nice back then, but I am a whitey and probably can't grasp if a place is nice or not.
Pittsburgh nightlife is hardly mixed. White privilege is not even noticing that there's only two minorities in the room.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
OK I've been in Pittsburgh for about 15-16 years, yes I had a couple jobs..my first which I landed 11 years ago at a supermarket was the only good news is that I got paid pretty well..friends ehhh not so much. I had to wait 5 years later to land a new job but unfortunately it was temporary, so now I am.left with being unempoyed. Very worried that it took me.so long to find a job after I exited my first job. Is the job market in Pittsburgh not that great with people who are minorities? Be serious with me...don't come up with an excuse saying it's like that for everyone no matter what race you are. Yes im.being very honest a white person would get a job a lot sooner than me. Any African Americans that live in Pittsburgh can you share to me some of your success stories here with work and all? Cost of living? Nightlife, entertainment, economy? Middle class people I have read on this forum have struggled mildly in Pittsburgh. 15 yrs again living here and I haven't gotten used to it yet...still settling in, and I'm not joking either. I come from new York so does that kind of solve my problem coming from a big metro area like NYC? New York is like 20 times bigger in size compared to pittsburgh. Population doesn't even come close. Am.i better off in D.C, Atlanta? Charlotte? I have read blacks do very well in the south economically...and I'm a middle class black man.
Atlanta, DC, and Raleigh/Durham are excellent choices for black professionals. There is a lot of competition and the best of the best succeed. Depending on your career path there is opportunity for people of color in Pittsburgh. Major firms and institutions value diversity and you can advance your career faster in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has a large amount of older professionals that are retiring and younger professionals fill the void.

I come from a large black family and we are successful for the most part. Location does not matter. You have to familiarize yourself with the area and dig in. I was laid off from my job (Analyst) in June 2013. I worked for the same financial institution for 16 years and found myself unemployed for the first time in my adult life. My severance package allowed me to stay home for one year. I knew it would be a rough job search in 2014 and I prepared for it. The economy at that time was not great and being black did complicated my job search. I took a lower paying non profit position and left after 6 months. I accepted a new position a few weeks ago and will assume my new role on April 24, 2016. I strive to be the best at whatever I do and it does pay off in the end.

Do you attend church? Large black churches are filled with middle and upper middle class black folk. Do you live in the hood? Most affluent black organizations are still head quartered in the hood. Do you attend black cultural events? Most black cultural events are held outside of Pittsburgh's cultural district. Black cultured events are held in large black churches or flex spaces in or near the hood. Grab a copy of the Soul Pitt or the Pittsburgh Courier for more information.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am not upper middle class by any measure.
When you make $30,000/year because of the consistently low wages in this city anyone who makes more than you seems "upper-middle-class". In any event I was going under the assumption you still worked for the same "major financial institution" (that also formerly employed me) you were working at back in 2013 before your reincarnation as wipkins"2". I apologize, as I didn't know they has laid you off in the interim.

In any event I figured you and BlackBeauty would be the two best on here to specifically consult the OP about the trials and tribulations of the black professional class in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Pittsburgh nightlife is hardly mixed. White privilege is not even noticing that there's only two minorities in the room.
Please elaborate that white people are supposed to notice that there are black people in the room? Geez, talk about sounding prejudice! What happened to being colorblind? What happened to true equality? Seems we are going back in time.

Anyway, back on the real topic. I agree with wpipkins and I have already gave that very advice in a different thread a few days ago. Go to a church and meet people.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Please elaborate that white people are supposed to notice that there are black people in the room? Geez, talk about sounding prejudice! What happened to being colorblind? What happened to true equality? Seems we are going back in time.
That is a huge component of white privilege; not having to think about race because it does not impact your day-to-day life. You don't have to notice minorities in the room. You don't have to familiarize yourself with American subcultures outside of your own, because you are the dominant culture. That is white privilege. As for color blindness, it's a dumb concept that allows you to overlook people's cultural identity, while presenting racial discrimination no longer exists. No thoughtful person advocates colorblindness. Inclusion does not mean ignoring differences, it means celebrating them.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
That is a huge component of white privilege; not having to think about race because it does not impact your day-to-day life. You don't have to notice minorities in the room. You don't have to familiarize yourself with American subcultures outside of your own, because you are the dominant culture. That is white privilege. As for color blindness, it's a dumb concept that allows you to overlook people's cultural identity, while presenting racial discrimination no longer exists. No thoughtful person advocates colorblindness. Inclusion does not mean ignoring differences, it means celebrating them.

Excellent post!

Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Therefore there is Black Privilege in Jamaica, correct? So when I visit Jamaica I will then feel this and have a full understanding of this privilege. Thanks, I will learn more on my next trip there.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Therefore there is Black Privilege in Jamaica, correct? So when I visit Jamaica I will then feel this and have a full understanding of this privilege. Thanks, I will learn more on my next trip there.
White folks run Jamaica GG. Money talks and bullsh*& walks. Money = power.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
"Can a black man succeed in the Burgh"

Yes they can, if they try, educate themselves, are serious about having Goals and break free of the Stereotype. I'm dating one right now.

See the problem with Pittsburgh like many cities in the North. "Black Men" are heavily stereotyped as what you see on the 5am News, what you see Wendy Bell rant about, what the media portrayed Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Laquan McDonald as Lazy Ghetto Thugs.

Oh its easy to stay its Pittsburgh's problem, or it's The White Mans fault, and a significant part of it is seeing every Black Male through the eye of the stereotype, because it all around us. However Black Men have to take onus as well, too many black men just conform to the societal injustices, figure this is how life is gonna be so just roll with it.

Rather than Fighting against it, making something of themselves, setting goals for themselves. Breaking free of the Stereotype. Once you prove to yourself first that you will NOT be the stereotype, and getting well educated with achieving those goals you've set. Pittsburgh like almost any other city will open itself up to you, and you will have the same opportunity.

I Know because I've seen it first hand.

Part of why Pittsburgh's and many other cities AA males don't achieve this starts young and being inspired, these men don't have that to grow up with, so it become a vicious circle. Kids need to see people around them directly and indirectly achieving success and shown how do they get there. I remember being a young girl, I wanted nothing more than to be like my Aunt Leslie... She was a Strong Confident Success Black Woman, held herself high. To give you a visual she was a Claire Huxatible type Black Woman, minus the Kids. She was my inspiration into the Woman I am today, I will never forget that. Love you Auntie.

Getting back on Topic, not saying that Pittsburgh doesn't produce any successful black males, it produces a fair amount problem is 1) Successful Blacks aren't enclaved here, Blacks that move into the Middle Class mostly assimilate themselves into the majority White suburbs, so it's almost visually impossible to see. 2) The Burgh Blacks that become successful or strive for success wind up leaving because they too can't see opportunity because there's no one around like them with the same goals, they feel they need to escape. Yes even blacks that strive for success want to be around other blacks with the same aspirations. Not that you can't find it in the Burgh, its just not going to be smack dab in your face like ATL or DC, and it will be mixed with Whites and other minorities when you do find it. Now for me this is not a problem, I hate enclaving myself anyway. Other successful blacks want a world they call their own with little to no assimilation required, again something ATL and DC provides.

I got my "success" from the Burgh, moved away lived in Philly, and NYC and now I'm back in the Burgh, and even more "Successful".. I don't need a specific city to make me feel like I'm successful ... I have enough confidence in myself to know I can achieve it wherever I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh