Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,033,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
And please.... I beg you once again...... no more Jeff Locke!

Neal definitely crapped the bed with this staff and quite frankly overvalued his lineup. The starting lineup has almost no power. Cervelli no homers, Marte 7, Harrison, Jaso.....

Do you know how bad their record would be if they hadn't have lucked into Joyce and Friese? I'd rather have rolled the dice with one more year of Pedro and Neal walker. Its not like they got anything for them anyways! Harrison and Jaso have been terrible.

But who could have predicted McCutcheon being this bad. That's a killer.
Gotta think Locke goes back to the pen, and hopefully Vogelsong pitches well enough so not to join him.

As to no power that was a given doing all but nothing to replace Pedro and Walkers numbers...but NH couldn't wait to get rid of Walker that he traded for a below average pitcher and replaced him at 2nd with a cheaper try-hard JHay. Walkers numbers would also look good at 1b but Jaso is cheaper.

Even with as bad as Cutch has been, it's all about the horrendous pitching and it was obvious in the offseason it was going to be a problem.

The bright spot to this offseason, season, and trade deadline debacle is that many who have defended the organization in the past have finally seen the light and realize that it's all about $$$.

Unless something changes and some big moves are made, the window is all but closed on this team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 02:00 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,913,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Gotta think Locke goes back to the pen, and hopefully Vogelsong pitches well enough so not to join him.

As to no power that was a given doing all but nothing to replace Pedro and Walkers numbers...but NH couldn't wait to get rid of Walker that he traded for a below average pitcher and replaced him at 2nd with a cheaper try-hard JHay. Walkers numbers would also look good at 1b but Jaso is cheaper.

Even with as bad as Cutch has been, it's all about the horrendous pitching and it was obvious in the offseason it was going to be a problem.

The bright spot to this offseason, season, and trade deadline debacle is that many who have defended the organization in the past have finally seen the light and realize that it's all about $$$.

Unless something changes and some big moves are made, the window is all but closed on this team.
At a minimum, they better sign at least one mid level pitcher at 2-3 years and $12-$13 million per this off season or I will laugh about this "fiscal flexibility".

The fact that Bell isn't up here right now instead of Jaso, for a team that has no power, tells me they are waiting for next May on his so they get an extra year out of him. An idiot could see they would be better off with him even if he struggles.

I wouldn't be shocked if Glasnow barely gets used the rest of the year, so they can start him in the minors next year and get an extra year of control out of him too.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
At a minimum, they better sign at least one mid level pitcher at 2-3 years and $12-$13 million per this off season or I will laugh about this "fiscal flexibility".

The fact that Bell isn't up here right now instead of Jaso, for a team that has no power, tells me they are waiting for next May on his so they get an extra year out of him. An idiot could see they would be better off with him even if he struggles.

I wouldn't be shocked if Glasnow barely gets used the rest of the year, so they can start him in the minors next year and get an extra year of control out of him too.
Tough to say. I've learned to think like Huntington and Bob Nutting as far as how they do business and it's usually pretty easy to figure out most everything they're going to do, especially if you pay attention to the talking heads of Blass, Walk, and mostly Brown.

However, there's a lot of disdain from long time Huntington and Nutting supporters as the moves made are so obviously about money that many aren't renewing their season tix. I got a pm that even sskink said on another site he's not renewing tix because they've done nothing to put a championship team on the field even after winning 98 games last year.

If all these young guys come up and the money being saved isn't spent on some legitimate MLB talent, the Bucs are going to look even worse than they do now.

Nothing would surprise me in regards to how they use Glasnow but he's not ready anyway. He's as good as some of the guys in the rotation and in the pen but he's nothing special. Time will tell if that changes, though.

In any event, they're basically a .500 team. Their best years are behind them and the 3 years of success reminds me of "muck the Fets". Unless they do something big to change how they operate they'll be lucky to see a WC game in the coming years. A division title is out of the question.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,913,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Tough to say. I've learned to think like Huntington and Bob Nutting as far as how they do business and it's usually pretty easy to figure out most everything they're going to do, especially if you pay attention to the talking heads of Blass, Walk, and mostly Brown.

However, there's a lot of disdain from long time Huntington and Nutting supporters as the moves made are so obviously about money that many aren't renewing their season tix. I got a pm that even sskink said on another site he's not renewing tix because they've done nothing to put a championship team on the field even after winning 98 games last year.

If all these young guys come up and the money being saved isn't spent on some legitimate MLB talent, the Bucs are going to look even worse than they do now.

Nothing would surprise me in regards to how they use Glasnow but he's not ready anyway. He's as good as some of the guys in the rotation and in the pen but he's nothing special. Time will tell if that changes, though.

In any event, they're basically a .500 team. Their best years are behind them and the 3 years of success reminds me of "muck the Fets". Unless they do something big to change how they operate they'll be lucky to see a WC game in the coming years. A division title is out of the question.
A .500 team is what they are. Two hits against Edwin Jackson? Mercy. IF they couldn't get on a streak with this list of teams they've been playing its not going to happen.

Agree about Glasnow. I think he will be good at some point though. I was just throwing it out there that essentially I don't think they want to win this year, and quite frankly, if they thought Bell and Glasnow would start the season with them next year, they'd be up here getting experience. Glasnow "getting hurt" may have been a relief to them as now they have a built in excuse. But Bell up here struggling is still better than Jaso.

The sad thing about the recent success is really it wasn't all that great. No division titles and no series victories.

Pitching is hard to get. They are going to have to buy some or give something up. One of the outfielders. I'd try to see if someone bites on Cutch this offseason thinking his bad year was a fluke. Or maybe Marte.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 AM

The Bucs new unadvertised slogan is "Next Year every year".

Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
Finally saw a winner tonight!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Finally got to see a game at Yankee Stadium. I'm not a Yankees fan but glad I finally experienced it.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:05 PM

RIP to the 3 winning seasons streak.

Officially sub .500 with a Cutch trade coming and a major pitching issue going forward.

On the bright side, this years postseason ball looks to be a lot of fun.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,105,722 times
They really were not strong at all after April. Then they made some trades which were done for the sake of saving money and pretty awful records in June and September so this doesn't exactly surprise me. Next season might not be much different as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I'm expecting much of the same next season unless they do some unorthodox business in the offseason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh