Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No team has ever actually lost to the pens; especially in the playoffs. We only win because:

1. We cheat
2. The refs cheat for us
3. Gary Bettman makes a call in for his favorite team
4. We play dirty
5. Crosby crys
6. The media being complicit in loving only the Penguins & overlooking the above

Or some combination of those. Never superior play, just read any article or message board of opposing teams.
It is strange, but true. The crying comes from the other team's fans and in droves. The first two games the Penguins played better and won. Funny how Logan whines about Crosby cheating. Talk about sour grapes, but people for some reason just hate a clean team like the Penguins. Hockey is trying to move towards great hockey instead of a bunch of goons out there trying to take players out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Rangers and Caps seemed to make hitting the Pens one of their big focuses this spring and look how that worked out. The pens have been a joy to watch the past 5 months or so with their speed and skill.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 AM

404 posts, read 457,106 times
I'm not normally into hockey, but this city is going nuts and it's fun to be a part of it!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I'm not normally into hockey, but this city is going nuts and it's fun to be a part of it!
City of Champions! City of Black and Gold!

Gotta love it.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No team has ever actually lost to the pens; especially in the playoffs. We only win because:

1. We cheat
2. The refs cheat for us
3. Gary Bettman makes a call in for his favorite team
4. We play dirty
5. Crosby crys
6. The media being complicit in loving only the Penguins & overlooking the above

Or some combination of those. Never superior play, just read any article or message board of opposing teams.
Then they'll claim that Pittsburgh doesn't deserve an NHL team, and that the Penguins almost left Pittsburgh because of some lack of fan support. So if that's true, then why did the Penguins even bother negotiating for a new arena to stay in Pittsburgh? Why didn't they just leave when their lease on the Civic Arena expired in 2007? Other cities already had new state-of-the-art arenas for the Penguins to move into on a moment's notice, so why did they even bother trying to stay if fan support was the root of all their problems? Why did they go through all that trouble when there was an easy way out? Probably because fan support was never the problem in the first place.

Furthermore, if Pittsburghers were so uninterested in the Penguins, then why did TV ratings remain strong during the lean years of the early 2000s? Attendance plummeted in the 2003-2004 season because the fans protested the team dumping salaries during the preceding off-season. The Penguins ended up getting rid of all their talent in the process, and fans were less willing to blow $100+ on tickets, parking and concessions to watch the team get blown off the ice night after night. It was much cheaper to watch them on TV, which is exactly what the fans did. If Pittsburgh really was uninterested in the Penguins, then TV ratings would have plummeted too, but they didn't.

Of course, the Penguins had to do what they had to do. There was no new arena on the horizon, so the big salaries had to be dumped in order for the team to stay above water. The Civic Arena was the oldest in the NHL, and never designed or intended for hockey in the first place. It was designed for the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, who ended up moving out anyway because of the ****ty acoustics. Then big concert tours started bypassing Pittsburgh in the 2000s because the Civic Arena couldn't handle the more sophisticated stage setups. By 2000, the Civic Arena was useless for anything other than dog shows, tractor pulls, and religious and graduation ceremonies. But yeah, the Penguins almost left because of the fans. Give me a ****ing break.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:32 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Rangers and Caps seemed to make hitting the Pens one of their big focuses this spring and look how that worked out. The pens have been a joy to watch the past 5 months or so with their speed and skill.
Sometimes the hitting works, but I think the Penguins are pretty deep and with these young fast players out there the big goons are way behind and too slow. I think the Penguins have a good strategy. I don't think we will see the end of all the hitting on key players in the NHL anytime soon, but they are making progress. They sure go after the key Penguin players, but it seems Tampa and San Jose play hockey, not just try and knock people out of the game like Washington and NY do. Winning is better than whining though.

Lots of hockey to be played. I hope we win the first game down there to give us a little cushion. Well, I like big cushions.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sometimes the hitting works, but I think the Penguins are pretty deep and with these young fast players out there the big goons are way behind and too slow. I think the Penguins have a good strategy. I don't think we will see the end of all the hitting on key players in the NHL anytime soon, but they are making progress. They sure go after the key Penguin players, but it seems Tampa and San Jose play hockey, not just try and knock people out of the game like Washington and NY do. Winning is better than whining though.

Lots of hockey to be played. I hope we win the first game down there to give us a little cushion. Well, I like big cushions.
What about the Penguins/CEC jinx?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is strange, but true. The crying comes from the other team's fans and in droves. The first two games the Penguins played better and won. Funny how Logan whines about Crosby cheating. Talk about sour grapes, but people for some reason just hate a clean team like the Penguins. Hockey is trying to move towards great hockey instead of a bunch of goons out there trying to take players out.
Most of the hating is aimed at Crosby. The hate is very similar to that aimed at Lebron James. Jealousy is what drives it.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Most of the hating is aimed at Crosby. The hate is very similar to that aimed at Lebron James. Jealousy is what drives it.
This^^^^

Canada/Toronto fans are also hating that Kessel is doing so well...especially being a Conn Smythe contender.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
I think the anti-Pens sentiment that you guys are referencing is likely a legacy of years of whining from the Pens management/Crosby/fans/Pens announcers about the "rough play" they were exposed to from the best teams in the early part of Crosby's career. Whether this is fair or not is up for debate. But believe it or not, in other NHL cities, a lot of viewers/fans of the game appreciate and respect players that compete physically, with toughness and no-holds-barred attitudes. Hitting has been an important part of the game for many years, and tradition dies hard in sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh