Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
White Tower/White Castle, I suspect they were somehow linked because of the size, shape and color of the buildings. Cheap burger and fries joint. Pittsburgh had numerous White Castle establishments. From memory:

Cedar Avenue a couple of doors down from the Italian ice place.
Chestnut and Progress, across from Heinz, the tile entrance is still there but the building was demolished back in the 90's.
In town, 6th Ave IIRC near the old Fulton theater.

I know there were others but many were gone by the late 80's.+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tower_Hamburgers

Oh, thanks! I know White Castle, had no idea there was ever a version called White Tower. I would be all for cheap burgers and fries, of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I don't know because I don't associate with people like that. I do frequent the area on a weekly basis and I do not see any hookers on Chestnut. I will see one from time to time on or near E. Ohio. Most drug dealing is done in the open from my observations.
I was talking about the star lounge, we stopped there after work one time. There was open drug dealing at the tables and girls looking for company out in the open. It was not a good place to be.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
I frequented the White Tower on Craig Street in Oakland as a young poor person starting out. 99 cent pancake breakfast and counter seating. The waitress would look at you and say "yours?" and you'd give her your order.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
They were indeed called White Tower here in Pittsburgh whether or not the business was related to White Castle. I only remember eating at the ones in the North Side and they were tiny little burgers. I have to reference the Beasties song where they say "White Castle fries only come in one size" when I have difficulty remembering which restaurants were in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm detecting a little bit of sarcasm here, but I personally think that there is a need for low-brow establishments in Pittsburgh too. I heard they want to open a new joint to sell $10 bowls of ramen noodles on Butler Street. That's fine, but I think we need places to attract the hoi polloi as well.
I'm sure a traditional diner like Cafe on Main in Sharpsburg would do pretty good business there. That said, I'm not sure you could make enough money on a traditional diner to recoup the cost of rehabbing a building which was falling apart.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sure a traditional diner like Cafe on Main in Sharpsburg would do pretty good business there. That said, I'm not sure you could make enough money on a traditional diner to recoup the cost of rehabbing a building which was falling apart.
I wouldn't consider the Café on Main a "traditional diner" at all, given how limited their hours are. Additionally, their breakfast easily transcends typical fare. I assume you've been, eschaton?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Quote:
Agreed -- but that's why I thought of the old Bier House for this. We were in there shortly before it closed, and while it could use some cosmetic work the building itself seems to be in OK shape.

Edit after seeing Merge's comment -- I just meant diner; I don't know the one in Sharpsburg. Something along the lines of Pamelas that served bloody marys and bellinis would be so nice.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I wouldn't consider the Café on Main a "traditional diner" at all, given how limited their hours are. Additionally, their breakfast easily transcends typical fare. I assume you've been, eschaton?
Not personally - my understanding is the menu isn't vegan friendly. But my mom has been there and raved about the food.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Not personally - my understanding is the menu isn't vegan friendly. But my mom has been there and raved about the food.
The food is excellent, but I agree that the menu is not vegan friendly at all. Eggs and/or cheese in virtually everything.

The service is pretty good too, as long as you don't have to deal with the extremely sour owner.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 AM

115 posts, read 99,959 times
They should bring a trolley line back in. That would change everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh