Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
My favorite is when the car that did wait for me to cross legally when I have the right of way gets honked at by the car behind them.
Ugh yes - if I'm the car waiting, I can always pass the time wondering how many seconds it'll take the person behind me to express their displeasure at my holding up traffic happens even more for me in northern Virginia. Of course, I walk more in Pittsburgh and drive more in va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Have you ever been honked at for not turning LEFT on red? I have. In Connecticut. Pittsburgh is not the only place with bad/aggressive/careless/inconsiderate/stupid drivers. I think the disrespect of pedestrians crosses state lines, and it is certainly a concern. But it isn't unique to the land of the golden triangle.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Have you ever been honked at for not turning LEFT on red? I have. In Connecticut. Pittsburgh is not the only place with bad/aggressive/careless/inconsiderate/stupid drivers. I think the disrespect of pedestrians crosses state lines, and it is certainly a concern. But it isn't unique to the land of the golden triangle.
The issues with drivers and pedestrians stretches all over the nation. Certainly not just a 'burgh thing.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

131 posts, read 112,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ugh yes - if I'm the car waiting, I can always pass the time wondering how many seconds it'll take the person behind me to express their displeasure at my holding up traffic happens even more for me in northern Virginia. Of course, I walk more in Pittsburgh and drive more in va.
There's 2 sides to this dilemma: either dread the possibility of getting honked at for being courteous, or embrace the opportunity. Here's my challenge: when appropriate, wait for the pedestrian to cross. IF honked at from behind, look for any additional pedestrians in the vicinity that MIGHT want to cross and wait for them to approach and continue on their journey. May not send the intended message, but it sure makes me feel good!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I've lived in lots of places and I think it is pretty clearly worse here than any place else I've lived. Possibly because there are more pedestrians here than anywhere else I've lived.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
A while back I made a comment in a thread that taking the back streets in Lawrenceville to avoid Butler should be done cautiously, taking care to adhere to the speed limit, watch out for kids etc. I was blown away at the callous responses along the lines of, "parents need to tell their kids not to play in the streets" kind of thing. There was even some inevitable Darwin award candidate type response. You know, the blame the victim type response. The crosswalk driver/motorist etiquette problem transcends any laws, right of way, responsibilities; it's become another sign of ever devolving social awareness and courtesy.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
A while back I made a comment in a thread that taking the back streets in Lawrenceville to avoid Butler should be done cautiously, taking care to adhere to the speed limit, watch out for kids etc. I was blown away at the callous responses along the lines of, "parents need to tell their kids not to play in the streets" kind of thing. There was even some inevitable Darwin award candidate type response. You know, the blame the victim type response. The crosswalk driver/motorist etiquette problem transcends any laws, right of way, responsibilities; it's become another sign of ever devolving social awareness and courtesy.
That's what happens when people ensconce themselves in their little steel cages, and don't have to interact with the people they don't know.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That's what happens when people ensconce themselves in their little steel cages, and don't have to interact with the people they don't know.
In this day and age I certainly can't see the promotion of children playing on city streets no matter the speed limit. Most of the talk is about drivers supposedly not following the rules. Why would you promote something you constantly feel is a safety issue?

Keep them safe and off the city streets.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-29-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies goes:

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."

Took me some time to see the wisdom in that quote.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies goes:

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."

Took me some time to see the wisdom in that quote.
A quote from "Repo Man"?

You're promoting children playing in the street. Why risk their injury?

Last edited by erieguy; 04-29-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh