Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 7,431 times

Advertisements

It's called a Hustle for a reason! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM

6,295 posts, read 11,007,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm sorry poor people asking for money bothers you guys so much. I suggest you admit you don't care about these people and ignore them or pressure your elected officials to pass laws that prevent homelessness. But, absolutely nothing makes you look petty, week and spineless like complaining about the way beggars make YOU feel.
I've got news for you. Most of them are scam artists.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
I'm sorry poor people asking for money bothers you guys so much. I suggest you admit you don't care about these people and ignore them or pressure your elected officials to pass laws that prevent homelessness. But, absolutely nothing makes you look petty, week and spineless like complaining about the way beggars make YOU feel.
I wish I was this clueless about the world sometimes.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,662,378 times
I smile and say "sorry" when asked for money on the street. I feel badly, but I don't have the ability to determine whether someone is legit or scamming and I don't want to be just contributing to someone's drug habit. I would rather support the services that help the homeless or less fortunate in general.

One that I regularly donate to and volunteer for is the Greater Pittsburgh Community Foodbank. They do great work in general, and also have a wonderful program called "Produce to People" that I have participated in that hands out hundreds of pounds of food in neighborhoods around the city each week, year round. They are always in need of volunteers.

https://www.pittsburghfoodbank.org/partnership/produce-to-people/

Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've got news for you. Most of them are scam artists.
This is unequicably false, and there is no data to support it. It's something people tell themselves so feel better ignoring the homeless. Yes, there are some panhandlers with other sources of income, but they are the extremely rare exception. And while not all panhandlers are homeless, they're almost always destitute.

The city's panhandlers tell their own stories - SFGate

Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,007,815 times
Quote:
This is unequicably false, and there is no data to support it. It's something people tell themselves so feel better ignoring the homeless. Yes, there are some panhandlers with other sources of income, but they are the extremely rare exception. And while not all panhandlers are homeless, they're almost always destitute.

The city's panhandlers tell their own stories - SFGate
I am basing this by my own experiences. First hand. I've been scammed in Indy, KC and Hartford by supposed "genuine" pan handlers.

If you want to keep your head buried in the sand and simply hand out your money to them, then more power to you. I won't be fooled again.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I am basing this by my own experiences. First hand. I've been scammed in Indy, KC and Hartford by supposed "genuine" pan handlers.

If you want to keep your head buried in the sand and simply hand out your money to them, then more power to you. I won't be fooled again.
He plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data. Many panhandlers are lying to you about their particular circumstance (eg, need money for bus fare or just got robbed) because that's what it takes to get you to give. They are still homeless. Yes, some of them will use your money to get high. I'm okay with that. I'd probably have to self-medicate to get through life on the streets.

My point is you should either care and act, or choose not to care, but no one wants to hear you complain about how difficult it is for you to deal with beggars.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
He plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data. Many panhandlers are lying to you about their particular circumstance (eg, need money for bus fare or just got robbed) because that's what it takes to get you to give. They are still homeless. Yes, some of them will use your money to get high. I'm okay with that. I'd probably have to self-medicate to get through life on the streets.

My point is you should either care and act, or choose not to care, but no one wants to hear you complain about how difficult it is for you to deal with beggars.
Instead of being an active enabler of unhealthy behavior I would suggest saving your money & use some of your time to fund & participate in activities that get the people who actually need help off the streets & off their dangerous behavior. Giving money either enables those that lie about their situation or enables those with actual needs to avoid meaningful help. Likewise believing having people with mental and/or drug issues out in public areas does not itself present its own separate set of problems is again being ignorant of the situation.
Those that actually care do not pay panhandlers money.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:55 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,352,296 times
I have mentioned in the past that when I was 16 my parents passed away, I was homeless for sometime. I lived in hotels and in my vehicle with Greek asphalt workers. There is a way to not be homeless, it is called get a job, get into rehab, get into therapy. There are enough agency's that will help someone out once they take the first step. There of course are the homeless that are too far gone to help themselves because of mental illness and or drug abuse that may never be able to be helped, but I don't think I have ever witnessed one of them panhandling. I don't see how giving a panhandler money helps them, if you want to help don't give them money. If you take the incentive for them to do it maybe they will take the first step to improving their lives instead of spending the next 5 years begging for money on fort Pitt Blvd.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM

354 posts, read 473,170 times
Quote:
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.
And yet the only "evidence" you have provided is a series of anecdotes. You don't have any data either, so I don't know how you could be so confident in telling others they are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh