Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Come check out McKeesport. I would be glad to give you a tour. There are many vacant historic buildings that can be had for a song.
Lots of AirBNB peeps would want to stay in McKeesport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 AM

288 posts, read 511,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Lots of AirBNB peeps would want to stay in McKeesport?
Yeah- McKeesport is a tough sell. Especially with google street view available to everyone. I have considered areas like Homestead and Braddock though.

I've been recommended to Brighton Heights/Bellevue/Avalon by many people since you can get sizable houses for cheap, but I'm worried about improvement on the northside pushing crime out in to these areas in the long-term, sort of like what happened to Penn Hills. Anyone care to comment?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Yeah- McKeesport is a tough sell. Especially with google street view available to everyone. I have considered areas like Homestead and Braddock though.

I've been recommended to Brighton Heights/Bellevue/Avalon by many people since you can get sizable houses for cheap, but I'm worried about improvement on the northside pushing crime out in to these areas in the long-term, sort of like what happened to Penn Hills. Anyone care to comment?
It's tricky, and I am sure many people will comment...my sense is that it's really almost street by street. Some parts of Brighton Heights in particular are doing fine, especially the big pretty houses that are attracting families; other parts not so much. I think you can find something on the lower Northside, though, and for rentals and vacation apartments the lower Northside is an easier sell because it's so much more walkable.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It's tricky, and I am sure many people will comment...my sense is that it's really almost street by street. Some parts of Brighton Heights in particular are doing fine, especially the big pretty houses that are attracting families; other parts not so much. I think you can find something on the lower Northside, though, and for rentals and vacation apartments the lower Northside is an easier sell because it's so much more walkable.
Location is of utmost importance when we make our own AirBNB decisions. We're currently looking into Chicago, and if the property isn't either walkable to Downtown or within a reasonable walk of a train going Downtown then we have no interest. Likewise many tourists, especially the younger ones that frequent sites like AirBNB and HomeAway, prefer to explore cities without a car when possible.

If visiting Pittsburgh for the first time I'd gladly book a place in the Lower North Side---walkable to attractions, the "T", Downtown, etc. The outer North Side neighborhoods? No. I wouldn't want the hassle of driving from the outer North Side and trying to park, and park, and park again all over the denser parts of the city to explore. Exploring a new city without a car is quite liberating.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Location is of utmost importance when we make our own AirBNB decisions. We're currently looking into Chicago, and if the property isn't either walkable to Downtown or within a reasonable walk of a train going Downtown then we have no interest. Likewise many tourists, especially the younger ones that frequent sites like AirBNB and HomeAway, prefer to explore cities without a car when possible.

If visiting Pittsburgh for the first time I'd gladly book a place in the Lower North Side---walkable to attractions, the "T", Downtown, etc. The outer North Side neighborhoods? No. I wouldn't want the hassle of driving from the outer North Side and trying to park, and park, and park again all over the denser parts of the city to explore. Exploring a new city without a car is quite liberating.
I agree for the most part, but as frequent travellers with two very large dogs, I've booked airbnb's that are slightly more out of the way in order to accomodate the dogs. We plan on catering to people travelling with dogs- so they may be more willing to stay in a slightly less convenient place if it means they can bring a dog above 40 pounds, or not pay $25 a night to have a dog with them.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I agree for the most part, but as frequent travellers with two very large dogs, I've booked airbnb's that are slightly more out of the way in order to accomodate the dogs. We plan on catering to people travelling with dogs- so they may be more willing to stay in a slightly less convenient place if it means they can bring a dog above 40 pounds, or not pay $25 a night to have a dog with them.
Ah! I see! It's extremely difficult to find anyone willing to rent to someone with large dogs here, so you may actually have a unique offer that will appeal to a much broader demographic. Our small dog is well-behaved but is yappy due to separation anxiety, so we always board him when we travel. There aren't many big dog-friendly accommodations here, so you'll definitely be at a competitive advantage, even if you're not in a traditionally tourist-friendly neighborhood.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
I'm not so sure that Airbnb does all that well around here. Looking around a couple of times it seems most places listed are not booked often.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'm not so sure that Airbnb does all that well around here. Looking around a couple of times it seems most places listed are not booked often.
The place over in Crafton that my parents book is often rented. Can't speak for units in the city proper, but we're looking into a place on Bradish Street in the South Side for my partner's family's visit.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
If dog-friendly is the goal, the neighborhood along Riverview park might be nice -- Observatory Hill in general has some neat properties. I agree though, that there will be more demand for longer-term rentals than for Airbnb up there.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
There's a community of Pittsburgh airbnb providers that do pretty well. I've already spoken to several owners about the legalities, regulations, and the amount of business that they do. As I plan on incorporating this space in to my own living quarters, it won't be totally wasted when not in use. Plus, once I move, a lot of my friends and family will expect to stay at my place as well when they visit, so this will make that seem less intrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh