Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 PM

288 posts, read 510,083 times

Advertisements

We're finally preparing to make our move to Pittsburgh. We're working with a company to do a full gut remodel of a building and potentially include a rental unit or space we could rent on airbnb.

Since I know there's a lot of real estate guys on here and people involved in community redevelopment efforts- I thought maybe there'd be some suggestions of off-market properties are well hidden gems. We're open to almost any neighborhood with a decent commute to downtown. My ideal building would be a brick commercial property with apartments above, like this:

411 Grant Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 | Zillow
-just the business is for sale, not the building.

I'm surprised by how much people still want for gutted buildings or buildings that need gutted. Maybe some people who have buildings that need a lot of work just don't bother listing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,592,203 times
What's your target price range? There's some good stuff on the North side...

Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
What's your target price range? There's some good stuff on the North side...
All in, $280-$300K. So that would be acquisition plus remodel. I know for a fact there's some great buildings on Troy Hill, but nothing ever seems to come up for sale.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM

Yes, turnover is slow up on Troy Hill. There's a small house at 1014 Chestnut Street that has a for sale sign in the window right now, but it's not coming up on the usual real estate sites as far as I can tell. It's pretty small and humble compared to the Millvale example you posted, but the location is really set to turn around rapidly (see the thread on Chestnut Street...) -- no pressure but if you're interested I'll jot down the phone number next time I walk by and send you a PM. If you look on Google Maps, I mean the one with all the ivy...anyway I will keep an eye out, I see a fair number of signs around here that never seem to make it on to official MLS listings. (I'm not a realtor btw, just someone who lives on the North side and likes old buildings.)

Old 05-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Also -- dang, check out 928 Allegheny West. Funky Victorian house in a fantastic location.

928 Western Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15233 | MLS #1209601 | Zillow

I admit I don't know the first thing about taking a house like this and converting it to commercial space with an apartment upstairs, but there are other buildings on the street that seem to be pretty much that, so it can be done. And from that location, the light rail to downtown is actually free...the neighborhood, Allegheny West, is really very nice. The only problem in my mind is that, on that street at that price, there's probably some pretty serious problems with the house.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:25 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,366,793 times
Department of Finance | About Real Estate check out this site if you want the city, I try and stay far away with my deals.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,005,922 times
Come check out McKeesport. I would be glad to give you a tour. There are many vacant historic buildings that can be had for a song.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:04 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,451,706 times
what about one that doesnt need total rehab? also how far from the city are you willing to be? I may know of a couple things that might be options

Old 05-05-2016, 06:08 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,552,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
what about one that doesnt need total rehab?
For a very reasonable fee, I'm willing to turn any building into one that needs a total rehab.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, turnover is slow up on Troy Hill. There's a small house at 1014 Chestnut Street that has a for sale sign in the window right now, but it's not coming up on the usual real estate sites as far as I can tell. It's pretty small and humble compared to the Millvale example you posted, but the location is really set to turn around rapidly (see the thread on Chestnut Street...) -- no pressure but if you're interested I'll jot down the phone number next time I walk by and send you a PM. If you look on Google Maps, I mean the one with all the ivy...anyway I will keep an eye out, I see a fair number of signs around here that never seem to make it on to official MLS listings. (I'm not a realtor btw, just someone who lives on the North side and likes old buildings.)
The house needs to be pretty sizable- atleast 1800 of usable sq. ft. I would estimate.

Quote:
Also -- dang, check out 928 Allegheny West. Funky Victorian house in a fantastic location.

928 Western Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15233 | MLS #1209601 | Zillow

I admit I don't know the first thing about taking a house like this and converting it to commercial space with an apartment upstairs, but there are other buildings on the street that seem to be pretty much that, so it can be done. And from that location, the light rail to downtown is actually free...the neighborhood, Allegheny West, is really very nice. The only problem in my mind is that, on that street at that price, there's probably some pretty serious problems with the house.
I've got that one on my favorites list. Thanks. I think some of the more victorian houses will have higher rehab costs, so I'm not sure if the purchase price of this one is too much or not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Department of Finance | About Real Estate check out this site if you want the city, I try and stay far away with my deals.
I've heard the city is awful to deal with- have you ever gone through this? I saw the Boggs ave house before on there and it would fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
what about one that doesnt need total rehab? also how far from the city are you willing to be? I may know of a couple things that might be options
I would consider one that doesn't need a total rehab, but my developer prefers it so we can make sure everything is done right, all the mechanicals are as efficient as possible, and so we don't have to compromise on features.

I'm only considering outside of the city in areas like Dormont, Crafton, and the North Hills. I need a downtown commute at rush hour of 30 minutes or shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh