U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM
 
6,094 posts, read 4,427,571 times
Reputation: 3168

Advertisements

Some of you might be shocked - there are older apartments downtown for $1000/mo, maybe less (this is not Section 8). A friend at Chatham Center claims he is paying $900 a month for a studio. I've been there - not glamorous, but not a slum by any stretch - it is a bargain. Cool view looking northeast (the Pennsylvania, bus terminal, Federated building, the Crosstown Expressway, Troy Hill/Reserve Twp....beautiful view).

I disagree with Downtown as overrated at all. Few neighborhoods in Pittsburgh have retail and groceries in their localities. Downtown has: the Shop n Save in the Hill, the Strip District, and the Giant Eagle near Allegheny Center - none are just around the corner, but a good healthy walk or a very short drive.

It's risky to speculate, but one might say to get into a downtown condo NOW. (Smithfield Street is slated for a major renovation, I believe. The economic health of retail continues to improve.)

Most overrated? Squirrel Hill. I used to love the place (haven't been there in 2 years now!), but I feel it is just too congested at this point. Too many parked cars...buses move so slowly through there...not a "welcoming" vibe, expensive even for crap apartments, and so on....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2016, 05:48 PM
 
911 posts, read 1,637,165 times
Reputation: 1112
The Strip. Expensive rent. If you have a traditional work schedule, most of the businesses will be closed by the time you get home. Great place to visit on the weekend, but I'd never want to live there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh's North Side
1,701 posts, read 1,468,855 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Interesting. In my experience, most "North Side" residents detest the notion that anything occurring in Manchester, Allegheny West, Deutschtown, The Mexican War Streets, Brighton Heights, Observatory Hill, or even Perry North and Perry South, et al, is referred to as happening on "The North Side."

So... what do we call Deutschtown, The Mexican War Streets, and Allegheny West? North 279? Lake Elizabethtown? Norther North Shore? Is Manchester included, and if not, why not?
It all depends on context...if I am talking about the area it's the Northside, but then the distinct neighborhoods each have their own nuances. And Lobick is totally right that it all functions as one big neighborhood, but it's one neighborhood with interesting subdivisions. My point wasn't that they are all the same, just that they are all so close together, it's like patches on one quilt. If we want to talk about the whole walkable flat area around the park, it's all the Lower Northside, and then there's certain features that are unique to each neighborhood, and certain amenities, etc.

So my point wasn't that the War Streets don't have their own character...there are certainly architectural distinctions and historical differences among all the little districts. It's just when people talk like the MWS is the *only* neighborhood worth mentioning over here, and then give me a blank look if I mention Deutschtown or Manchester or any other area, that's what I find silly. Allegheny West is interesting, because people who know the area know that it has the grandest homes of them all, but somehow it doesn't have the same name recognition. I think that's partly because Mexican War Streets has a nice ring to it, and partly because things like Monterey Pub and the Mattress Factory have been such great anchors for the community. So like I tried to say above, I get why it happens, but it still bugs me a little because I get it all. the. time.

Last edited by RogersParkTransplant; 05-11-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,439 posts, read 1,291,626 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In the city, Mt. Washington. The view is the only thing about the neighborhood that's not mediocre.
tunnel free, easy commute in any direction. Easy access to southside, downtown and oakland. shiloh/virgina business district has all basic needs covered. honestlyI couldnt disagree more.

Now if you are talking all the way back bordering beltzhoover/allentown, then yeah I could agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
32,159 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Reputation: 18344
Interesting thread topic!

I'm not so sure Lawrenceville is really "overrated". Its housing prices have literally skyrocketed even just since I moved here in 2010. Look at what you get, though. You can walk to a movie theater; bowling alley; ceramics painting studio; at least three bakeries (that I can think of); NUMEROUS trendy restaurants (Piccolo Forno, Franktuary, Cure, Round Corner Cantina, Dive Bar, Industry, Pusadee's Garden, Senti, The Vandal, V3 is on the way, Arsenal Cider House, Pints on Penn, Coca Cafe, Church Brew Works, etc.); galleries; salons; bars ranging from dives to LGBT-friendly to downright yuppie; the riverfront trail; a great library; Busy Beaver Hardware; Shop 'n Save; etc.; not to mention your scenery consists of (mostly) lovingly-restored working-class rowhouses from the early-1900s. I can't believe those Doughboy Square Apartments start at over $2,000/month, but they've had no trouble leasing them, which indicates prices closer to $3,000/month may soon be plausible.

I also don't think most people even distinguish between Duquesne Heights and Mt. Washington, so calling Duquesne Heights "overrated" is a stretch, although count me in among those who think Mt. Washington is incredibly overrated. I've seen impressive skyline views in the Bigelow Heights section of Greenfield; the South Side Slopes; Fineview; Troy Hill; and Elliott; yet none of these neighborhoods carry the same cachet that Mt. Washington does. I agree that once you get off Grandview the neighborhood seems one step above a West Virginia holler town---narrow streets lined with many homes that are either horribly remuddled or haven't been renovated in decades due to the financial constraints (or poor taste, to be quite frank) of the homeowners. The business district seems to have an identity crisis. I think Mt. Washington certainly has potential to be trendy/hip, but right now I don't see what makes it so special besides Grandview Avenue.

I think Allegheny Center is very overrated. Instead of tearing that hideous mid-Century disaster down like the Berlin Wall we're now supposed to think it's gorgeous because some hip developer has renamed it and wants to make it artisan/trendy/fashionable? Please! Gag me! I love walking from Polish Hill to various parts of the North Side, but I hate, hate, HATE that monstrosity. It's just an obstacle that's "in the way" to me, but somehow people think it's special now? No, no, no. It's a fortress surrounded by a moat of a wide high-speed roadway. It really "cuts off" the residential parts of the Lower North Side from Downtown and the North Shore. I don't get why I'm the only one apparently who doesn't seem to like this complex.

I would actually consider Highland Park to be extremely overrated. Its business district is anemic relative to its very affluent, very well-educated, and rather large population base. There are like four or five businesses on/along Bryant Street that I'd actually patronize regularly if I lived in the neighborhood---E3, Park Brugges, Tazza D'Oro, Smiling Banana Leaf, and the Bryant Street Market. The park itself is okay, but I much prefer Frick Park. Many of the side streets there are in desperate need of paving, and I know as a courier that those streets are also often among the worst in the city when it comes to plowing/salting. Although I brag about how far I walk I realistically wouldn't want such a long walk back-and-forth to East Liberty for most of my daily needs. Friendship seems to have similar architecture, leafy streets, generally flat topography, etc., and is much more conveniently located. Nevertheless it seems like it's talked about less frequently than Highland Park for some reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh's North Side
1,701 posts, read 1,468,855 times
Reputation: 1848
I'm reserving judgment on the Allegheny Center redevelopment until the project is done and the new tenants moved in, but on the whole it doesn't bother me because I don't think the neighborhood necessarily needs to be very open on that side. The freeway is the main thing that creates a wall between the North Shore and the North side, so having a blocky techie office space in the area where the neighborhood meets freeways and stadiums doesn't seem so terrible to me. I'm hoping the current restructuring of the area around the 16th St bridge turns out nicely, because ultimately I think that will be the true point of access to the neighborhood proper, not the area around PNC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 PM
 
2,217 posts, read 1,812,911 times
Reputation: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Friendship seems to have similar architecture, leafy streets, generally flat topography, etc., and is much more conveniently located. Nevertheless it seems like it's talked about less frequently than Highland Park for some reason.
Seems to me that it could be because Highland Park is a very large neighborhood, while Friendship is a miniscule slice appended to Bloomfield.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
14,080 posts, read 15,484,244 times
Reputation: 12057
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Most overrated? Squirrel Hill. I used to love the place (haven't been there in 2 years now!), but I feel it is just too congested at this point. Too many parked cars...buses move so slowly through there...not a "welcoming" vibe, expensive even for crap apartments, and so on....
I think Squirrel Hill is way to big to generalize about overall. It has big beautiful houses on large lots, and tiny ugly houses on small lots. It has areas which are among the most walkable in the city, and areas you'd need to walk for 20 minutes to get to Forbes/Murray.

I'm not really sure it's overrated these days though, considering that it's stayed pretty much the same for decades while large portions of the city have improved. It's certainly still overpriced however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
tunnel free, easy commute in any direction. Easy access to southside, downtown and oakland. shiloh/virgina business district has all basic needs covered. honestlyI couldnt disagree more.

Now if you are talking all the way back bordering beltzhoover/allentown, then yeah I could agree.
As I said, ironically the borderline ghetto portions of Mount Washington have better housing stock than the area closer to Grandview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I would actually consider Highland Park to be extremely overrated. Its business district is anemic relative to its very affluent, very well-educated, and rather large population base. There are like four or five businesses on/along Bryant Street that I'd actually patronize regularly if I lived in the neighborhood---E3, Park Brugges, Tazza D'Oro, Smiling Banana Leaf, and the Bryant Street Market. The park itself is okay, but I much prefer Frick Park. Many of the side streets there are in desperate need of paving, and I know as a courier that those streets are also often among the worst in the city when it comes to plowing/salting. Although I brag about how far I walk I realistically wouldn't want such a long walk back-and-forth to East Liberty for most of my daily needs. Friendship seems to have similar architecture, leafy streets, generally flat topography, etc., and is much more conveniently located. Nevertheless it seems like it's talked about less frequently than Highland Park for some reason.
Byrant Street suffers from the same issue that Western Avenue does in Allegheny West - there just aren't quite enough people in walking distance to fill it out completely. It's for different reasons though. In the case of Allegheny West, it's because the neighborhood is too small. In the case of Highland Park, it's because the surrounding blocks don't have enough higher-density multifamily housing. It would help a lot if Bryant Square Apartments was razed and a higher-density apartment building was put in its place. It's a weirdly ghetto building for the area now - not Section 8, but very run down with apartments between $425 and $580 per month.

As for why people talk about Highland Park more than Friendship, I think a lot of it is because even though Friendship has some nice houses, it's mostly subdivided student rentals, with a goodly number of them horribly remuddled.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 PM
 
6,533 posts, read 8,320,637 times
Reputation: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I'm reserving judgment on the Allegheny Center redevelopment until the project is done and the new tenants moved in, but on the whole it doesn't bother me because I don't think the neighborhood necessarily needs to be very open on that side. The freeway is the main thing that creates a wall between the North Shore and the North side, so having a blocky techie office space in the area where the neighborhood meets freeways and stadiums doesn't seem so terrible to me. I'm hoping the current restructuring of the area around the 16th St bridge turns out nicely, because ultimately I think that will be the true point of access to the neighborhood proper, not the area around PNC.
You have a good point. Pedestrian access between Allegheny West and Deutschtown via Allegheny Center is actually simple and pretty pleasant and park-like. The North-South connection is horrendous, but East-West is good aside from driving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
4,359 posts, read 7,045,267 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
So it's the only reason you've been there. That proves that you have little knowledge about what the neighborhood is actually like during the day or for rest of the week.

And yes, the Works is part of the Southside but you wouldn't know that because you only came down to visit Marios for a few hours at night on the weekends.

So essentially, your opinion isn't very credible.
I have frequented the South Side since the early 1990's. Been to bars and restaurants. Basically every neighborhood has a drug store or a grocery store. Stuff I need these days is a pair of shorts for my kids or an gift for my wife.

I realize that the South Side Works is technically part of the South Side but it really isn't connected to heard of the Southside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top