Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

We have one, we might as well have the other.

My own feelings:

Spring Hill: Spring Hill is still priced like the ghetto, but it's not a ghetto neighborhood by any means. The lack of a business district means it will never really become a hot area, but it's certainly undervalued.

Troy Hill: Competing with Millvale right now for the "Next Lawrenceville" award. Just got a new general store.

Oakwood: The crown jewel of the Greater West End in terms of housing stock - like a little slice of Highland Park was dropped off in the wrong place. A really safe neighborhood with decent local elementary schools for Pittsburgh as well. Obviously no business district however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
Definitely Troy Hill. I see big things. We were looking up there in our recent search but as with all the hot 'hoods, inventory is nonexistent. I really liked the vibe, though. Get in while the getting is good, folks.

I'm proud(?) to say that I guess Stanton Heights has graduated from underrated to... rated, I guess? Which is weird to me, especially because around these parts I was assured for years that its lack of walkability and small, ugly housing stock would make it forever the redheaded stepchild of the East End.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I agree on your first two nominations, not familiar with Oakwood other than having driven through it a couple of times. I've heard Oakwood referred to as Copland. I'd like to nominate:
Summer Hill: remote city neighborhood with more of a rural feel. Super quiet streets, within close proximity to I279 and suburban shopping areas. Minutes from town, close to 28 as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Definitely Troy Hill. I see big things. We were looking up there in our recent search but as with all the hot 'hoods, inventory is nonexistent. I really liked the vibe, though. Get in while the getting is good, folks.
I think Troy Hill's issue is a lot of the potentially best housing stock is either rental property or passed down through families, meaning supply is always low.

Hot hoods don't always have low supply though. Lawrenceville and South Side have had pretty damn wide arrays of housing options for years now. It's just those options are much more expensive than they used to be.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I absolutely agree that Spring Hill and Troy Hill are underrated. I have family in Spring Hill and have never thought of it as remotely ghetto all of the times I have been there.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:12 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Uptown - Huge potential to be something beside a "Via" being the direct link between the 2nd and 3rd largest CBD in the state.

Allentown - Has potential to feed off of the South Side and Mt Washington gentrification

Highland Park - Always below the radar, I feel.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,258 times
Brighton Heights.

Especially for carnivores, thanks to Tom Friday's.

Mostly quiet. Easy commutes to just about anywhere around the city and surrounding areas.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 19,682 times
In addition to Spring Hill and Troy Hill, I would also include lower Spring Garden and East Deutschtown. Though it seems East Deutschtown at least is starting to turn around.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Troy Hill real estate is weird. There's very little inventory, and the houses that DO hit the market are either barely livable or wildly overpriced. Renovated units and Troy Hill are being listed for more than similar units in Lawrenceville, five years ago, and Lawrenceville was already well on its way to full-blown gentrification. There's still a chance that Troy Hill doesn't happen.

Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values

I think Friendship is underrated. Housing stock is nice and its walkable to Bloomfield, Shadyside, Garfield and East Liberty.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Troy Hill real estate is weird. There's very little inventory, and the houses that DO hit the market are either barely livable or wildly overpriced. Renovated units and Troy Hill are being listed for more than similar units in Lawrenceville, five years ago, and Lawrenceville was already well on its way to full-blown gentrification. There's still a chance that Troy Hill doesn't happen.

Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgages & Home Values
That house is priced due to the view. You'll see expensive houses which are technically in Allentown and Perry Hilltop for much the same reason. The standard price for houses in livable condition in Troy Hill is still between $50,000 and $100,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think Friendship is underrated. Housing stock is nice and its walkable to Bloomfield, Shadyside, Garfield and East Liberty.
As I said in the other thread, Friendship's issue is over half the properties are subdivided into apartments which are rented out to students by slumlords. It will never return to its glory days as a neighborhood due to this. It's certainly a nice area, but my understanding is it's been basically in stasis over the last 20 years or so (basically once it became expensive enough normal people couldn't buy and restore the homes, and the rentals became student dominated and hence worth too much money to warrant conversion back into houses).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh