Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Well, if I was of Latino descent, and I read a comment about the "Hispanic pop." increasing in the Burgh suburbs, I might be encouraged... until I clicked the link and saw a crack about green cards, as if every person of the Latino ethnicity is automatically suspect of not being a US citizen. And of course this brought up talk of "illegals"... naturally (in your eyes, I presume, because you used the term).

And then I continued down-thread and read a response talking about the dangers of "Spanish Alley" and how that person didn't want that "situation here" (I'm presuming she meant South Fayette)... I probably wouldn't see it as very welcoming.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to demonstrate that level of empathy, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice.
While I'm not at all surprised you're being over sensitive to the post, the world illegal means just that...and whether you want to accept it or not, Goinback was right on in regards to what happens on a daily basis...and supporting illegal workers makes zero sense. Pretty sure it's a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
I don't know about "PC", but this thread is definitely proof that the yinzer mentality has migrated out to the burbs. Fortunately this isn't your grandpappy's Pittsburgh anymore. As a counterbalance, it should be pointed out that most people I know down here in the city are very welcoming of Latino people.

Lighten up, Francis.

I was joking. I hired a roofer on a recommendation from a friend and the crew showed up. I have a fairly large house and they will be done tomorrow, less than 3 days. Whether they are undocumented or not is not my concern. Just glad this guy doesn't use an Amish crew.

I see more and more Hispanic out here. The Wexford flats has a Los Campos, a Mexican grocery directly across from Patron's. Patron's staff is practically all Hispanic and about 4 years ago I played The Ugly American and asked the maître de if his staff did lawn work as well. They did, but I couldn't afford them. I see more and more Hispanic crews working construction in this area everyday. American Work Ethic, they got it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Lighten up, Francis.

I was joking. I hired a roofer on a recommendation from a friend and the crew showed up. I have a fairly large house and they will be done tomorrow, less than 3 days. Whether they are undocumented or not is not my concern. Just glad this guy doesn't use an Amish crew.

I see more and more Hispanic out here. The Wexford flats has a Los Campos, a Mexican grocery directly across from Patron's. Patron's staff is practically all Hispanic and about 4 years ago I played The Ugly American and asked the maître de if his staff did lawn work as well. They did, but I couldn't afford them. I see more and more Hispanic crews working construction in this area everyday. American Work Ethic, they got it.
I couldn't tell it was a joke b/c jokes are funny. I was actually surprised you wrote it because you are usually quite humorous... and I like many of your posts despite the wide gulf between our respective beliefs and values.

Also... my response had as much to do with the responses you provoked from other posters as anything that you said.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
I couldn't tell it was a joke b/c jokes are funny. I was actually surprised you wrote it because you are usually quite humorous... and I like many of your posts despite the wide gulf between our respective beliefs and values.

Also... my response had as much to do with the responses you provoked from other posters as anything that you said.
Many posts are taken out of context and looked at with great sensitivity.

Copanut quoting a line from one of the best and funniest movies ever, however, is priceless.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I was just describing what we lived with for a few years. Illegal hispanics squatted in our house. Knowing many from our experiences, most are very hard working. However there are many others that depend on the system to support them.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:34 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just glad this guy doesn't use an Amish crew.
Why?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Why?
All the horse sh*t you have to clean off your yard afterwards

(Edit: is that intolerant?)

Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
All the horse sh*t you have to clean off your yard afterwards

(Edit: is that intolerant?)

Only to the pessimists on this board.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
As the thread continues, I'd like to point out to anyone looking for a reason to get offended, this is all tongue in cheek. Also, get a better hobby.
(was that offensive ?:P)
Yes, I'll show myself out.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: