Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 11:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

I think continually dwelling on this is counter-productive. I guess, on a public forum, people "get to know" a poster, and maybe grow to dislike them from their posts, or choice of language, whatever. Then, an opportunity to nail them to the wall comes, and people run with it, losing sight of the forgotten, original topic.

This looks like one of those times.

Does it really matter if someone's simile is offensive? Chances are, they did not intend to do that. Some comparisons we may WANT to hear, but there is a difference between hatred, clear bigotry, and illustrative dialogue. I mean, almost ANYTHING in any post can be taken out of context, or misinterpreted.

I agree that "concentration camp" stings a little. I do remember seeing or knowing Jews in our own city (Squirrel Hill) with brands on their arms (they have all but died off by now). But the point is that the crowding in mass transit facilities is unbearable, uncomfortable, and overwhelmed....it doesn't disparage that dark period in history. It doesn't literally equalize the experience of one to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 11:28 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Just wipe every post since the stupid comparison.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
No reputable hits for "storm sandy concentration camp" (https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...tration%20camp)

Same for "Hurricane Katrina concentration camp" (https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...tration%20camp)

Same for "NYC blackout concentration camp" (https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...entration+camp)

No hits from any reputable news organization to back up your claims. None.
Able to procure anything to prove me wrong?

Go to Squirrel Hill and see what folks there think about your use of the term "concentration camp".

You are a racist with a persecution complex.
It was said live on the air during these media day and you probably can't find any reference to the statement because they were not said from a place of Race, or Bigotry like again you're trying to make it out to be.... I just love how my use of the term "Concentration Camp" to describe conditions at a Train station, now allows for you to brand me a racist.

Again, how convenient it is for you. Even though I made no contextual references to Jews, Hitler or Nazi Germany.

You guys attempts at getting me banned are pathetic.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The degree of outrage felt insincere, though acknowledge the fact that her original statement was in incredibly poor taste. It was rather presumptuous, and borderline offensive for me to suggest, dubious as I may be, that the outrage was not real. I accept that some may have been genuinely offended, and I apologize, because that's what reasonable adults do.
"Felt insincere", LOL! I mean really, who are you to judge, especially over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

The outrage is fake, its a matter of convenience they're trying to nail me for the use of the term to get me banned. "Yinzers" wouldn't work, so taking my use of the word "Concentration Camp" and trying to somehow equate intentions with of Nazi Germany.. I see right through the disingeniousness of it all.

My use of "Concentration Camp" was nothing other to illiterate the scenes like this at Penn Station when severe delays happen.

My words had NOTHING to do with equating to the Holocaust, and they know that, again it was convenient because they're trying to nail me for my continue using the term Yinzer. People need to learn how to put thing into context.
I don't think the outrage is fake. Many people who have lost family members in the Holocaust do not take kindly to people using such language in a glib manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The Term Concentration Camp in 2016 has a mainstream meaning ... it's tossed around all the time in the media it was used to describe the effects after Katrina, it was used for 9/11 it was used after Super-storm Sandy, it was used during the Blackout 2003 in NYC.

Were was all this outrage then, there wasn't none. Concentration Camp by the media and in mainstream terms= large masses of people huddled in a singular structure or space. The context of it nothing to do with them being dead or alive and absolutely nothing to do with the Holocaust.

Again I see right through your Fake-ness ... Context, Context, learn how to put things into Context.
I disagree that "concentration camp" has a mainstream meaning. If it does, it's inappropriate.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:48 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Imagine the type of people for whom the term has a 'mainstream meaning'.

I've never encountered anyone who used the phrase out of its historical context.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 AM

598 posts, read 748,153 times
Since when did we become so sensitive to words?
For the record, I reserve the right to use phrases like "Holocaust", "Concentration Camp", "Slave Ship" and "Urinary Segregation" as I (and only I) deem appropriate.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

I disagree that "concentration camp" has a mainstream meaning. If it does, it's inappropriate.
Well the next time some sort of Disaster happens that causes swarms of people to huddle into a single place of shelter.. You watch the description of the scene being thrown around by reporters ...."yada yada yada, it's like Concentration Camp in here, with so many displaced residences" ...

I've heard it used countless times in mainstream media and is were I got the reference for my use of the word, my mind didn't even go to the same place that Jay5835 tried to make it seem like it did.

I had to look up what the hell he was so offended by, when he stated, "Trying to compare the people of LIRR to concentration camps would have my head handed to me"..I was like WTF is he talking about. I made no reference to the "People of the LIRR" I was talking about the situation/effect of delays themselves and what it causes in Penn Station. Jay5835 went off on some whole nother topic.

This is what happens when people can't properly place things in to context, as Jay5835 and other seem fail at doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Since when did we become so sensitive to words?
For the record, I reserve the right to use phrases like "Holocaust", "Concentration Camp", "Slave Ship" and "Urinary Segregation" as I (and only I) deem appropriate.
Since we have group of people on here trying to get me banned for my using the word "Yinzer", and they can't get me nailed on it. So they figured they could nail me with "Concentration Camp", its all a ploy, the outrage is disingenuous and fake as the day is long.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I was on this long a$$ outdoor hike many years ago in blistering, August Western PA heat and humidity with a mixed group of people when I jokingly compared it to the Bataan Death March. The one guy who knew what I was referencing had a laugh and he was quite a bit older than me at the time. It happens, move alone people.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I think continually dwelling on this is counter-productive. I guess, on a public forum, people "get to know" a poster, and maybe grow to dislike them from their posts, or choice of language, whatever. Then, an opportunity to nail them to the wall comes, and people run with it, losing sight of the forgotten, original topic.

This looks like one of those times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I was on this long a$$ outdoor hike many years ago in blistering, August Western PA heat and humidity with a mixed group of people when I jokingly compared it to the Bataan Death March. The one guy who knew what I was referencing had a laugh and he was quite a bit older than me at the time. It happens, move alone people.
Yup and yup.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Man this forum is getting sketchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh