U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 10:00 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,236,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
WOW. You really have never been to the rural south have you? We may have bouts of racism, but geeze that is the most ignorant comment I've ever heard.
I have been to the south for trips and vacations, what part of what I said is ignorant? I have experienced a sort of racism in Pittsburgh that seems somehow acceptable. Granted, it seems to be disappearing with newer generations, but what I have witnessed and heard from people here in my short 43 years on this Earth has been appalling. Racial slurs uttered so matter of factly, that it appears as part of one's regular vocabulary. So what part was ignorant? And what exactly are "bouts of racism"? I wasn't aware racism was like the flu, now that is ignorant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 112,030 times
Ah well that makes sense. I wonder if perhaps the fact that he may be there due to circumstances out of his control could be a major part of any disdain he may have about places other than Pittsburgh. When I was in Alaska, most people very much enjoyed being there, however, those that hated were for the most part military who were stationed there against their wishes.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Norcider,
I will give you, and Pittsburgh, that things do seem to be headed in a generally more positive direction. Just at a snail's pace. There's no doubt in my mind that, if the right decisions are made by the majority of locals, that in 20 years Pittsburgh could be the next Seattle or Austin or the next city to go to. But I just don't have the time to wait however long that may take.

Or it may not happen at all,
not worth the risk.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,329,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I have been to the south for trips and vacations, what part of what I said is ignorant? I have experienced a sort of racism in Pittsburgh that seems somehow acceptable. Granted, it seems to be disappearing with newer generations, but what I have witnessed and heard from people here in my short 43 years on this Earth has been appalling. Racial slurs uttered so matter of factly, that it appears as part of one's regular vocabulary. So what part was ignorant? And what exactly are "bouts of racism"? I wasn't aware racism was like the flu, now that is ignorant...
Take a trip to Mississippi and tell me how it's residents act similar to Pittsburghers. I've been called a Yankee at a gas station I-59 on my to New Orleans (assuming because I had a Pennsylvania license plate).

Atlanta may be a new age city and the sterotypical backwards southern people gone, but large portions of the south still think in the civil war era, especially Mississippi.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,554,594 times
Quote:
I never heard the term "Up South" until I met a co-worker who was a Mississippi transplant relate her experience moving to Pittsburgh. That's what she called Western PA, Up South. From my experiences, she was dead right.
Black folks have referred to Western PA as up south for generations. Mainly do to Jim Crow and Segregation.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Black folks have referred to Western PA as up south for generations. Mainly do to Jim Crow and Segregation.
And doesn't that say something that this white dude never heard of it until I was in my early 20's?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Take a trip to Mississippi and tell me how it's residents act similar to Pittsburghers. I've been called a Yankee at a gas station I-59 on my to New Orleans (assuming because I had a Pennsylvania license plate).

Atlanta may be a new age city and the sterotypical backwards southern people gone, but large portions of the south still think in the civil war era, especially Mississippi.
I don't need to take that trip, and I never made that comparison. If you had read what I wrote my Mississippi ex-pat coworker related her experience coming here. I can not make an ignorant statement based on MY observations and that of my coworker's. It's a real thing, I am not basing my judgement on inaccuracies, which is what ignorant would imply.

Last edited by norcider; 06-07-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,554,594 times
Quote:

My family is originally from Scottdale PA. Do you want to talk about backwards? Clairton, Elizabeth, West Elizabeth, Butler,........ There are really to many places in SW PA to name.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 AM

norcider,
Just out of curiosity, did she have any issues with how she was treated as a non-yinzer (that she may have mentioned) along with her observations regarding racism?

My second job requires me to work with a great deal of college students who share my opinion, and unfortunately for the city, are all planning an immediate exit after graduation.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,329,867 times
Quote:
I never heard the term "Up South" until I met a co-worker who was a Mississippi transplant relate her experience moving to Pittsburgh. That's what she called Western PA, Up South. From my experiences, she was dead right.
Quote:
And doesn't that say something that this white dude never heard of it until I was in my early 20's?
Quote:
I don't need to take that trip, and I never made that comparison. If you had read what I wrote my Mississippi ex-pat coworker related her experience coming here. I can not make an ignorant statement based on MY observations and that of my coworker's. It's a real thing, I am not basing my judgement on innacuracies, which is what ignorant would imply.
You said without ever having experience in rural MS that your experience in Pittsburgh was similar. How can you claim ito innaccurate without having experience there?

Two differing opinions I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh