Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:41 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

America's Urban Population Boom is Slowing Down. Story about Millennials being priced out of cities.

America's Urban Population Boom Is Slowing Down: Census Bureau Data - Fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Cue Yogi Beraism.

"Its so crowded (and expensive); nobody ever goes there anymore"

Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Man, all those young people crowding the streets of Lawrenceville, South Side, Regent Square, Bloomfield, Garfield, East Liberty and town on a Friday night must be figments of the imagination.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
They are in the metropolitan area.
If you would read the article I cited, the problem is the low number of children, not the large number of elderly in the city. When people have kids, they don't stay or move to the city.

The current generation of elderly are from the one known as the Silent Generation, which is a comparatively small one. They range in age from 72 to 93. They are small in number because their birth years spanned the Great Depression and WWII.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:09 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Hm yes, the city is undesirable. I agree. That's why I'm purchasing there. With child on the way. With full intent of sending said child to city schools. As a person who is not poor. I know lots of early 30-somethings like me. Go figure. Not desirable at all.
Not everyone shares your opinion or thoughts. Everyone has a different standard of living and what they consider non-desireable vs desireable vs more desirable.

The more desirable it is the more people will come.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I live not far from where my parents live, because my mother's health has deteriorated in the last few years, and she needs more assistance than she used to. I haven't moved back to Pittsburgh because I care about my mother, and I want to be close by. That's my answer, and quite frankly, it's more than you deserve. Don't ever ****ing ask me that question again.
I commend you for taking care of family, however, not living in an area doesn't give much first hand knowledge of the area.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I commend you for taking care of family, however, not living in an area doesn't give much first hand knowledge of the area.
I lived in the Pittsburgh area for 15 years, so I already know the basics. And since then, I've been back often enough and still know enough people who live there to have a clue what's going on. That's all that matters. I remember what Pittsburgh was when I moved away, and I've seen enough of it since to know that it's much better off now than it used to be.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I lived in the Pittsburgh area for 15 years, so I already know the basics. And since then, I've been back often enough and still know enough people who live there to have a clue what's going on. That's all that matters. I remember what Pittsburgh was when I moved away, and I've seen enough of it since to know that it's much better off now than it used to be.
It's certainly better. Nobody's questioning that. To attract more numbers, it needs to get even better, however. Contrary to a previous post, cheerleading an area doesn't make it better. Numbers and stats don't lie.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That's what many of us have been telling you for a long time, yet it still hasn't stopped you from commenting in many of the threads in this subforum wherein you've nothing to add because you have no firsthand experience with the area. So it's kind of ironic that you are saying this to another poster.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 AM

598 posts, read 748,153 times
Indeed. Cranberry gets mentioned a lot on this subforum. I'm curious how many actually speak from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh