Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,589,714 times

Advertisements

It really just depends on finding a neighborhood where you fit in. Pittsburgh on the whole is somewhere between Boston and Chicago in friendliness (using the two cities I have lived in longest as an adult), and very different from the south. But within any big city, there are neighborhoods with different cultures. I'm thinking of all the people who love Atlanta but rarely leave Decatur, or all the Bostonians who are really in Somerville...you know what I mean. People form neighborhoods and they stay where they feel at home. It's striking that the OP struck on the one suburb that becomes the center of so many arguments on here, but it's a case in point. Some people love Cranberry, and some people don't. OP, you might want to explore other areas and see if you feel more at home somewhere else. Personally I find Ross very friendly -- I feel very much at home at Coffee Buddha, for example -- but that's me. Just try looking around in other neighborhoods.

I hate to say it, but it's true that lifelong Pittsburghers get stuck in their family circles. We have various friends who are true locals, and every Saturday there's a kid birthday party they have to attend and every Sunday they have to have an early dinner at Mom's. We don't resent it or anything, and we feel vaguely grateful that our own families are far enough away that we aren't constantly booked, but it's a constant reminder that we'll never really be locals.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,242 times
When directly compared to Southerners, Pittsburghers are confrontational and cold. Pittsburghers are always rushing all the time to get to nowhere and won't be bothered to exchanged pleasantries. When you are on the crowded T during rush hour you'll see people sit on the outside seat on purpose so that no one sits next to them. There are thousands of posts on this very forum with first hand accounts of how irrational they can act behind the wheel.

If you are expecting the same sort of warmth you've received in the South, it just isn't going to happen. That is the local identity and you'll have to get used to it (and yes, people will in fact tell you to go back where you came from).

But hey, they're way damn nicer than jags from the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 AM

20 posts, read 20,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I do not feel that at all. I feel that people in Pittsburgh are so friendly, mannerly and decent.I work with someone who lives in Cranberry and she is the most materialistic person I have ever come across in Pittsburgh.

That being said, it is very hard to make friends here. Many people have been here for generations and still have their extended families here. It is very like Ireland in that way. People ask where your family are from, and then they try to see if they know them. I noticed that in the dentist and doctors office lately.

I really do like the Pittsburgh people. They are helpful, friendly and hard working.
Pittsburgh is very insular and its really hard to break in. Around the universities its somewhat better, but not as open as other areas. Some people do, but many find the area not for them and move on. Hopefully if its not for you, you don't waste years here like people I know.

Cranberry is very artificial. If you want a cookie-cutter McMansion and chain restaurants and the like its ok. A great place to give up, raise a couple uninteresting kids and bottle it up until you drop dead. There are a few decent areas of the metro area, this is not one of them.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,038,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster85 View Post
Pittsburgh is very insular and its really hard to break in. Around the universities its somewhat better, but not as open as other areas. Some people do, but many find the area not for them and move on. Hopefully if its not for you, you don't waste years here like people I know.

Cranberry is very artificial. If you want a cookie-cutter McMansion and chain restaurants and the like its ok. A great place to give up, raise a couple uninteresting kids and bottle it up until you drop dead. There are a few decent areas of the metro area, this is not one of them.
Lol.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,944,023 times
As a native Texan transplanted here, I've had no trouble, but then again I don't go around expecting people to treat me special. I don't bug them, they don't bug me. Life is just peachy.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:27 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,038,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
As a native Texan transplanted here, I've had no trouble, but then again I don't go around expecting people to treat me special. I don't bug them, they don't bug me. Life is just peachy.
This.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,075,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane46 View Post
Perhaps. I was comparing this area to large cities in NC where I've lived (Charlotte and Raleigh, both of which have larger populations than Pittsburgh, according to Google.)
No, you have to go by metro population for it to mean anything. Charlotte is the same size as Pittsburgh but Raleigh is about half that size.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,459,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
There be dragons up there too I've heard tale of

and a killer rabbit with big gnarly teeth...run away, run away

Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,547,904 times
These threads are comic. Not that they don't have valuable conversation, but it all comes down to one's own perception. I have lived here my whole life...I don't really see Pittsburgh as the friendly utopia that some people try to paint it as, I never have. I agree that the south is a different world. Southern nice makes "Pittsburgh nice" seem awful and rude! ... However, I was always under the impression that Boston was supposed to be mean and insanely aggressive to drive in. When I finally visited Boston, I found that to be far from the truth. Yes, driving in Boston is one of the most confusing things you'll ever do in your life, but the route I used, I got the hang of pretty quick. As for the people - I didn't notice a difference. In fact, I was surprised when a handful of strangers throughout my trip spoke. HaHa - again, I didn't notice much of a difference from here at home.

I found the locals of upstate New York, specifically Buffalo to be friendly friendly on my numerous trips to that area. Also, Wisconsin -- yeah, very nice people as well, in my opinion, far nicer than here in the 'Burgh!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,779,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
These threads are comic. Not that they don't have valuable conversation, but it all comes down to one's own perception. I have lived here my whole life...I don't really see Pittsburgh as the friendly utopia that some people try to paint it as, I never have. I agree that the south is a different world. Southern nice makes "Pittsburgh nice" seem awful and rude! ... However, I was always under the impression that Boston was supposed to be mean and insanely aggressive to drive in. When I finally visited Boston, I found that to be far from the truth. Yes, driving in Boston is one of the most confusing things you'll ever do in your life, but the route I used, I got the hang of pretty quick. As for the people - I didn't notice a difference. In fact, I was surprised when a handful of strangers throughout my trip spoke. HaHa - again, I didn't notice much of a difference from here at home.

I found the locals of upstate New York, specifically Buffalo to be friendly friendly on my numerous trips to that area. Also, Wisconsin -- yeah, very nice people as well, in my opinion, far nicer than here in the 'Burgh!
Buffalo has some of the nicest people you ever want to meet. I've always been treated well there. Most of Ohio is friendly as well.
New York City is actually much more friendly than it's reputation, which tends to be based on Manhattan. New Yorkers are very friendly when on comfortable ground. Philly, on the other hand, is quite prickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh