Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times

Advertisements

Looks like the efforts of Riverlife are coming to fruition.

Riverlife ramping up green projects in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

It will take a few more years but hopefully there'll be a "green necklace" around da 'burgh. Shame that the South Side has those railroad tracks along the river. And all those parkways along the opposite shore block access to the Mon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,074 times
And the Army Corps of Engineers want to restore a stretch of the Ohio.

Corps of Engineers proposes restoring Ohio riverbanks | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Should make the ducks and geese happy.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 AM

58 posts, read 55,302 times
The Ãœber expansion plans also include riverfront improvement works. Slowly but surely that "Green Necklace" is taking shape.

Huge project up in Aspinwall/Sharpsburg area too.

Although every time a new project is announced, I can't help but wonder where is the love for the Ohio? The riverbank stabilization project is a start I suppose, although it does nothing to benefit the residents of McKees Rocks or West End Village or Coraopolis. Tons of work to be done on all three rivers still, but once in a while I would like to see something going on along the Ohio. The neville Is bike lanes will be nice but that's probably the safest most relaxed part of the whole journey anyways, with it's 25 mph streets, flat topography, and low traffic. There seems to be no impetus to throw a bone to any of the communities along the Ohio.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjefferson View Post
The Ãœber expansion plans also include riverfront improvement works. Slowly but surely that "Green Necklace" is taking shape.

Huge project up in Aspinwall/Sharpsburg area too.

Although every time a new project is announced, I can't help but wonder where is the love for the Ohio? The riverbank stabilization project is a start I suppose, although it does nothing to benefit the residents of McKees Rocks or West End Village or Coraopolis. Tons of work to be done on all three rivers still, but once in a while I would like to see something going on along the Ohio. The neville Is bike lanes will be nice but that's probably the safest most relaxed part of the whole journey anyways, with it's 25 mph streets, flat topography, and low traffic. There seems to be no impetus to throw a bone to any of the communities along the Ohio.
You mean to tell me that with the multiple years of delays and cost overruns of the West Carson Street project that there won't be ANY recreational riverfront improvements included? It's just taking them this long to stabilize and rehabilitate the road structure and surface?!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You mean to tell me that with the multiple years of delays and cost overruns of the West Carson Street project that there won't be ANY recreational riverfront improvements included? It's just taking them this long to stabilize and rehabilitate the road structure and surface?!
I remember reading originally that they considered incorporating biking infrastructure into that project but it was ultimately nixed.

The trail should at least extend to McKees Rocks, or at the very least we should be seeing some plans to make it happen in the future. With Alcosan in the way on the north shore, the only logical thing is to find a way to continue it on the south shore. I am not sure if the old railroad bridge over Carson will be maintained (maybe it's already gone) but that could and should have been used already to improve connections between the West End Bridge/Village and onto McKees Rocks.

I am thrilled to see these new projects announced but there is absolutely zero love from the city or Riverlife to suggest we will see the kind of improvements along the Ohio that we have seen along the Allegheny and Mon over the last decade or so.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
I remember reading originally that they considered incorporating biking infrastructure into that project but it was ultimately nixed.

The trail should at least extend to McKees Rocks, or at the very least we should be seeing some plans to make it happen in the future. With Alcosan in the way on the north shore, the only logical thing is to find a way to continue it on the south shore. I am not sure if the old railroad bridge over Carson will be maintained (maybe it's already gone) but that could and should have been used already to improve connections between the West End Bridge/Village and onto McKees Rocks.

I am thrilled to see these new projects announced but there is absolutely zero love from the city or Riverlife to suggest we will see the kind of improvements along the Ohio that we have seen along the Allegheny and Mon over the last decade or so.
I will say that Elliott is still on my short-list for my eventual first home purchase, and it would be even more enticing for me to live there if my partner and I could walk to work on the North Shore and Downtown, respectively, via utilizing a riverfront trail along the south bank of the Ohio vs. walking along West Carson Street. I'd actually prefer to live in the West End Village itself instead of Elliott, but for some reason there's very little residential infill going on there.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I will say that Elliott is still on my short-list for my eventual first home purchase, and it would be even more enticing for me to live there if my partner and I could walk to work on the North Shore and Downtown, respectively, via utilizing a riverfront trail along the south bank of the Ohio vs. walking along West Carson Street. I'd actually prefer to live in the West End Village itself instead of Elliott, but for some reason there's very little residential infill going on there.
I see West End Village as an excellent opportunity to get a cheap place if it goes on the market. With that location and the inevitable future trail links (including hopefully the West End Bridge crossing which has been in a conceptual phase for years now), it is simply too enticing to not consider. A $10,000 investment would almost certainly increase dramatically with proper renovations if you truly believe the core of the city is on an overall upswing.

One of the biggest downfalls IMO is that the area is gridlocked during the morning rush. Even with all that work done on the Circle it is still over-capacity, I wonder if a huge roundabout utilizing the RR underpasses somehow would have been a better option here rather than stacking up traffic through the neighborhood.

Still, so much potential. Elliott is boring and always will be boring. West End Village could take off with the right group of people and a few tweaks to the infrastructure on that end of the immediate downtown area.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:41 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
I see West End Village as an excellent opportunity to get a cheap place if it goes on the market. With that location and the inevitable future trail links (including hopefully the West End Bridge crossing which has been in a conceptual phase for years now), it is simply too enticing to not consider. A $10,000 investment would almost certainly increase dramatically with proper renovations if you truly believe the core of the city is on an overall upswing.

One of the biggest downfalls IMO is that the area is gridlocked during the morning rush. Even with all that work done on the Circle it is still over-capacity, I wonder if a huge roundabout utilizing the RR underpasses somehow would have been a better option here rather than stacking up traffic through the neighborhood.

Still, so much potential. Elliott is boring and always will be boring. West End Village could take off with the right group of people and a few tweaks to the infrastructure on that end of the immediate downtown area.
I worry about the West End Village and flooding. It's the same valley as 51 and I've heard that insuring is difficult because of previous flood issues. I'd take a hard look and research before buying anything there.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:04 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,049,620 times
I am looking to the west also - Windgap, Sheridan, Chartiers City - as long as bike options to Carson do not involve dangerous streets. So about Carson - does anyone know if the final product will include any wide sidewalks or even an adjacent bike path?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh