Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times

Advertisements

I am reminiscing on 1980's popular culture which, to me, was the golden age of quality, wholesome television sitcoms.

I know quite a few people strongly associate Full House with San Francisco as one example, as well as other non-sitcom shows with their host storyline city or state (i.e. LA Law, Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, and Beverly Hills 90210 obviously with LA, Northern Exposure with Alaska, etc., Seinfeld with NYC, Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry with North Carolina, etc.).

In my mind, Mr. Belvedere is one of those greatly popular 1980's entertainment relics that I automatically associate with Pittsburgh (although technically the family lived in suburban Beaver Falls). Do Pittsburgh locals think of or promote that same association, or is there any sort of museum or commemoration that acknowledges the show or its exposure of Pittsburgh?

I know Mr. Rogers has a statute in his honor (very well deserved) since he's from Pittsburgh, but I really haven't heard of any commemoration for Mr. Belvedere.

I'm just curious and responses are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 04:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,722 times
In the decades I've been living here, I have never once heard Mr. Belvedere mentioned. But my social circle could be radically different from yours. Are people in NC big fans of dapper English housekeepers, or is that mostly just SC?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:08 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,529 times
As with most shows 'set' somewhere in name only but filmed in California with nothing more then passing references to whatever city it's set in, local popularity isn't going to be any much more then whatever fame it has nationally.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Are people in NC big fans of dapper English housekeepers, or is that mostly just SC?
I haven't heard that about SC , and I don't know that most NC residents would be a big fan of dapper English housekeepers, but I for one love the Mr. Belvedere show and it just stands out in my mind as a "Pittsburgh" show (and had frequent Pittsburgh references written into it).

I can tell you that the Andy Griffith Show is based around the small town of Mt. Airy NC, and quite a bit of the economy in that town has been built around iconography and tourism focused on that single show. Of course, as a much, much smaller and less economically diverse place than Pittsburgh obviously, it's had to find its niche out of survival, so that may have something to do with why the association seems much stronger.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I haven't heard that about SC , and I don't know that most NC residents would be a big fan of dapper English housekeepers, but I for one love the Mr. Belvedere show and it just stands out in my mind as a "Pittsburgh" show (and had frequent Pittsburgh references written into it).

I can tell you that the Andy Griffith Show is based around the small town of Mt. Airy NC, and quite a bit of the economy in that town has been built around iconography and tourism focused on that single show. Of course, as a much, much smaller and less economically diverse place than Pittsburgh obviously, it's had to find its niche out of survival, so that may have something to do with why the association seems much stronger.
Pittsburgh is mentioned a lot in Cronenberg's Videodrome too... but people don't seem to associate themselves with that much either.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Pittsburgh is mentioned a lot in Cronenberg's Videodrome too... but people don't seem to associate themselves with that much either.
I must confess I'm not that familiar with this one, but I'll have to check it out.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
As with most shows 'set' somewhere in name only but filmed in California with nothing more then passing references to whatever city it's set in, local popularity isn't going to be any much more then whatever fame it has nationally.
Yeah, I think people identify more with pop culture that actually involves the city itself because it was filmed here. Mr. Belvedere being set in Pittsburgh is just a minor trivia blip. Haven't thought about that show in years.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,160 times
Full House the main character was on 'Wake up San Fransicso' or w/e it was called, and mentioned quite often in the series.

Its been a hella long time since i watched Mr Belvedere but i don't think he hosted a 'Buters of Pittsburgh' show that they mentioned dozens of times per season.

I didn't even remember the show was set around here, i did just see a 'Boy Meets World' rerun with my kids where Corey and Shawn went to Pittsburgh (showed the incline and all) to try to get Topengas parents back together. Couple bad 'steel' jokes thrown in but w/e. For the record, they failed, the parents did not get back together as of the last episode ending, no spoilers on the next ep. plz.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,390,448 times
Maybe instead of raising taxes Pittsburgh could sell Mr belvedere bobble heads at the airport and train station to tourists

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Never heard of Mr Belvedere.
Fred Rogers is from Latrobe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh