Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
In addition to more cops being needed - how about actually taking these punks off to Shuman, or if they're stupid enough to do this after their 18th birthday then off to County, and teaching them there are actual consequences to acting like animals?
Not defending the behavior but when I was in high school, afterschool fighting was not unheard of. It just couldn't be on school grounds, which means not when waiting for the bus in the school parking lot. I wonder how much of this is escalated with Propel not having their own bus bay so this easily can go on at city bus stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Not defending the behavior but when I was in high school, afterschool fighting was not unheard of. It just couldn't be on school grounds, which means not when waiting for the bus in the school parking lot. I wonder how much of this is escalated with Propel not having their own bus bay so this easily can go on at city bus stops.
In my white suburb upbringing, I can count the fights in school throughout my entire school years on TWO hands. This crap is DAILY in city schools! Please stop pretending this is normal. IT ISN'T! Enough pretending!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:57 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
In my white suburb upbringing, I can count the fights in school throughout my entire school years on TWO hands. This crap is DAILY in city schools! Please stop pretending this is normal. IT ISN'T! Enough pretending!
I second that, it was my experience as well. There were a handful of fights inside the school, sure. But if it was a daily, or weekly, occurrence that kids were fighting in a very defined area in town - you can bet the police would have been there to keep things under control.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:53 AM

58 posts, read 55,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I wouldn't even call it an American phenomena - don't blame all of us! It's characteristic to an economic class and a sub-culture. I mean, the Jewish kids aren't brawling on Whitman Street after Temple services.
This is true.

Some didn't like my previous post, but I stand by it. I have lived in a European country for a few years and I didn't see or hear anything like this during that time aside from the most random of incidents.

This type of behavior is tolerated in the US...maybe it's seen as racist if we acknowledge the fact that one subset of people are most commonly the perpetrators here.

Anyone is free to mock me all they want. I do appreciate the critical thinking posters who stood behind my questions, I assume they have travelled and/or lived elsewhere and realize that weekly brawls at the bus stop is NOT normal behavior and it's pretty sad that some of us want to say "it's just kids being kids" or whatever. I guess when that guy got cold-cocked during the afternoon a few years ago that was just kids being kids too.

Fact is anyone who reads the world news or has experienced other places knows how much more civil other first-world societies are compared to ours. Of course these things happen, but the frequency here as well as the widespread knowledge that this has been a problem area for YEARS makes me realize how poorly we manage situations like this.

And it's not all the police's responsibility. Where are the parents and teachers and other role models who should be teaching these kids how to act in public?

Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjefferson View Post
This is true.

Some didn't like my previous post, but I stand by it. I have lived in a European country for a few years and I didn't see or hear anything like this during that time aside from the most random of incidents.

In all fairness, what country?

I mean, Poland, Russia, and others in the east in particular are sometimes nuts. We just don't hear about incidents. Russians hate Poles, and vice versa. They brawl in the street over soccer (sorry - futbol).

They all hate gays and will prove it with mace and fists in public, as is well documented online.

There is rampant organized crime in Romania (I believe). We've seen street/public space mayhem in Paris numerous times recently (I don't mean the politically or religiously motivated incidents).

Australia has more than it's share of the angry white element.

Granted, my opinions are based on what I see online - it's not like I correspond with journalists from those places, but it is not "uniquely American", as someone stated.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
This is true.

This type of behavior is tolerated in the US...maybe it's seen as racist if we acknowledge the fact that one subset of people are most commonly the perpetrators here.

Anyone is free to mock me all they want. I do appreciate the critical thinking posters who stood behind my questions, I assume they have travelled and/or lived elsewhere and realize that weekly brawls at the bus stop is NOT normal behavior and it's pretty sad that some of us want to say "it's just kids being kids" or whatever. I guess when that guy got cold-cocked during the afternoon a few years ago that was just kids being kids too.

Fact is anyone who reads the world news or has experienced other places knows how much more civil other first-world societies are compared to ours. Of course these things happen, but the frequency here as well as the widespread knowledge that this has been a problem area for YEARS makes me realize how poorly we manage situations like this.

And it's not all the police's responsibility. Where are the parents and teachers and other role models who should be teaching these kids how to act in public?
I don't believe you. I've seen far more casual violence in the anglophone European nations and Eastern Europe. If you are as well traveled as you claim,you'd know that poor people fight.

No one accused you of racism, and I wasn't going to, but now you've tipped your hand. You knew that your post and beliefs were racially tinged that's why you proactively defend yourself against claims of racism.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:58 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
This is true.

So anyone who refuses to react with pearl-clutching melodrama to two kids who get in a "fight", in which no one gets hurt, and coincidentally get blamed for an accident between a bus and a truck (even though there is no evidence they actually caused anything other than some torn hair extensions) is not a "critical thinking poster", and obviously not as well-traveled as you?

This incident has inspired you to wonder if such things happen in other developed nations, and you are now whining about being "mocked"? Yes... these are "1st world problems", Bob.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:59 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,277 times
The Nuns would know what to do! Where are they when we need them?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The Nuns would know what to do! Where are they when we need them?

wait....The Nuns? what???

Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't believe you. I've seen far more casual violence in the anglophone European nations and Eastern Europe. If you are as well traveled as you claim,you'd know that poor people fight.

No one accused you of racism, and I wasn't going to, but now you've tipped your hand. You knew that your post and beliefs were racially tinged that's why you proactively defend yourself against claims of racism.

Are you sure? You sound like the thought police on a witch hunt. If anything, what I took from it was possible Euro-snobbery, but that's a leap since I am not familiar w/ Bobjefferson's posting history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh