U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,633 times

Advertisements

My son and his girlfriend were about to lease an apartment only to find there were many problems thru out and has mold visible to be seen. They were also told the could move in on a sunday but there was no furnace for heat. A week wnt by and the kitchen ceiling was leaking , Pipes under the sink as well as other things but mainly the furnace was still not put in . My husband and I told them to get out of there because of these and the other problems. The landlady threatened them with lawyer and wanted them to pay her anyway. I'd like to know where she gets off when she was in breach and especially when theres no heat. Plus they had already switched oveer the heat and electric and the landlady was using it at their expense. What rights do these kids have ? Theres a one year old baby involved here as well. Can you help inform us on their leagal rights?

Thanks,

M.Susan Edmunds ( one of the Parents_)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,722,547 times
Well, we live in MI (soon to be Pitt. thats why I am here) and had a different problem but kind of the same capacity I guess...we requested that a problem be taken care of and they did not take care of it...our problem was a neighbor had a dog and it pooped all over our front/side yard. We lived in a townhome...It was such a mess you could not walk out there without getting it all over your shoes,,, I called and called and called to request it to be cleaned up...I have kids that like to play in the yard....and these were really nice townhomes...anyway it is the landlords responsibility to keep their rentals clean, sanitary and safe for living. If you don't think they are in compliance with that, you need to call the health dept. That is what I did...
They will come out and inspect...even if there is nothing *that* badly wrong with it...they will still talk to the landlady and tell her she needs to fix blah blah blah...

That is how it is here...I am sure it is similar...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,722,547 times
Definitly call the health dept. about the mold. That could be very dangerous to their health...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmunds View Post
I'd like to know where she gets off when she was in breach and especially when theres no heat. Plus they had already switched oveer the heat and electric and the landlady was using it at their expense. What rights do these kids have?
She gets off because she believes 98% of people are to stupid to question her....and she would be correct.

jebus christ...mold is a heath hazard...

document everything with video or photograph, take the utilities out of your name, move, and dare her to try to sue you....if she does then counter sue....what's the problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,494,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmunds View Post
My son and his girlfriend were about to lease an apartment only to find there were many problems thru out and has mold visible to be seen.
Well, good thing they found out before they moved in!

Since they were 'about to lease', there should not be a problem with a landlady.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh