Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,568,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
I've known Wendy Bell and a number of WTAE personalities for close to ten years. From the time WTAE created their first Facebook page, she has taken the whole social media thing way too far. When the stations page was first created, she would often seek out and get in to verbal battles with viewers when they would make rude or disparaging comments. This behavior continued when she and many others were given their own Facebook page with their name and the company moniker and logo on it. If anyone should know the impact of social media, it should be her.
I might argue, then, if I were WB, that WTAE had given me constructive consent to voice/post my opinion on social media.

Quote:
[Some] say she did nothing wrong...........I work for a Fortune 50 company here in Pittsburgh. It's undeniably one of the most recognizable names in the United States. One of the first things you are told in training in a company of this magnitude is, you are always representing us.
Yeah, but... as per the above, WTAE apparently allowed WB to voice/post opinions on social media for over a decade. Seems like constructive consent to do so, if you ask me.

Moreover, what WB posted was in no way racist. Some people were/are offended by what she posted. But, people are offended by the darnedest things.

Quote:
I don't list my employers name in any of my social media profiles other than LinkedIn. I don't even engage in discussions with others on my company's Facebook page, although it is hard to resist. However, i GUARANTEE, GUARANTEE if I had my employers name on my Facebook profile and made the same comments in a mass public discussion, someone would notice who I work for and would find a way to contact my company and I'm sure the end result would be my firing. I'm certain of it.
Again, seems that WB's situation was a bit different, in an important way.

Quote:
One thing is for certain in this region, ... people in Western Pennsylvania have a poor understanding, or just plain ignore being smart about what you say in public. [Some] greatly mistake the difference between freedom of speech and abiding by employers rules, policies, and beliefs.
Have we seen WTAE's official rules, policies, and or beliefs? Are these rules, policies, and beliefs incorporated by reference into WB's employment contract (they usually are, but, you seem to have some inside info)? You posted above that WB had been posting her opinions for more than a decade. Again, I see constructive consent to her actions/posting.

I can only speak for myself, and I assure you that I am well aware of 1st Amendment rights and limitations. These do not apply to the WB case.

I think what people who support WB are saying, is that even if some were offended by what WB posted, her remarks were not in any way racist and as such she was fired only after some people made a stink about being offended, and some of us believe that mob rule is dangerous and not to be desired or something to be given in to.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Quote:
The Federation has stated numerous times they did not call for her to be fired, and has stated there were other ways to handle the situation.

Just to be clear, I'm white.

I've known Wendy Bell and a number of WTAE personalities for close to ten years. From the time WTAE created their first Facebook page, she has taken the whole social media thing way too far. When the stations page was first created, she would often seek out and get in to verbal battles with viewers when they would make rude or disparaging comments. This behavior continued when she and many others were given their own Facebook page with their name and the company moniker and logo on it. If anyone should know the impact of social media, it should be her.

You say she did nothing wrong...........I work for a Fortune 50 company here in Pittsburgh. It's undeniably one of the most recognizable names in the United States. One of the first things you are told in training in a company of this magnitude is, you are always representing us. I don't list my employers name in any of my social media profiles other than LinkedIn. I don't even engage in discussions with others on my company's Facebook page, although it is hard to resist. However, i GUARANTEE, GUARANTEE if I had my employers name on my Facebook profile and made the same comments in a mass public discussion, someone would notice who I work for and would find a way to contact my company and I'm sure the end result would be my firing. I'm certain of it.

One thing is for certain in this region, and I'll include Erie Guy, assuming he is from Erie.........people in Western Pennsylvania have a poor understanding, or just plain ignore being smart about what you say in public. You greatly mistake the difference between freedom of speech and abiding by employers rules, policies, and beliefs.
She was fired right after the meeting with the Black Media Federation. I think firing her was over the top. How about taking down the post, even know it was spot on and maybe even take away her Facebook privilege, but fire? Really? Everything is so over the top these days if you even come close to making a mistake and you are white. The eggshells successful white people have to walk on is pretty wild. Smart people know never to discuss race at all. I posted the CNN article showing two black people giving their opinion about Wendy Bell. They probably couldn't get a white person to do it, unless that white person wanted to lose their job fast. Wendy was correct in her rant and a lot of people of all races think the black on black crime issue should be addressed more, but lets just sweep it under the rug. It doesn't effect you and your fortune 50 company with your Mercedes living in an all white part of town. I can say all white with confidence, since even the city is not really diverse, it is segregated because birds of a feather flock together. That old saying from the 16th Century. Wendy had the courage to say something and she got canned for telling it like it is. She is a successful white person. The new enemy.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 AM

436 posts, read 339,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I might argue, then, if I were WB, that WTAE had given me constructive consent to voice/post my opinion on social media.

Yeah, but... as per the above, WTAE apparently allowed WB to voice/post opinions on social media for over a decade. Seems like constructive consent to do so, if you ask me.

Moreover, what WB posted was in no way racist. Some people were/are offended by what she posted. But, people are offended by the darnedest things.

Again, seems that WB's situation was a bit different, in an important way.

Have we seen WTAE's official rules, policies, and or beliefs? Are these rules, policies, and beliefs incorporated by reference into WB's employment contract (they usually are, but, you seem to have some inside info)? You posted above that WB had been posting her opinions for more than a decade. Again, I see constructive consent to her actions/posting.

I can only speak for myself, and I assure you that I am well aware of 1st Amendment rights and limitations. These do not apply to the WB case.

I think what people who support WB are saying, is that even if some were offended by what WB posted, her remarks were not in any way racist and as such she was fired only after some people made a stink about being offended, and some of us believe that mob rule is dangerous and not to be desired or something to be given in to.
I'm well aware this has nothing to do with the 1st amendment.

Encouraging Wendy Bell to be active in social media doesn't also mean "forget about being smart in what you say".

I don't believe what she said was racist in the least. Racist and racism are the two most improperly used words in our society. She was fired for making remarks that are better left for a criminal profiler or district attorney to make, not a journalist whose main goal is to be the patron saint of Pittsburgh. She doesn't belong in mainstream media. She's better off having her husband drive her around Point Breeze filming homeless people begging for money

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,896,709 times
She. Made. Up. Her. Own. Facts.

She didn't just tell us they the killers were black males, she gave in age range which turned out to be wrong, she told us where they grew up, that they had siblings by multiple fathers and gave a radius in which they were hiding out. That is completely unacceptable for anyone representing a news agency. I don't want to believe that all of her supporters are simpletons, racists or both, but I'm left with very little choice.

Last edited by gladhands; 06-28-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Smart people know never to discuss race at all.
Thats the end all statement right there. It sucks, I hate all of this political correctness in our society more than anyone, but you said it. This is what this is all about. She should have been that smart

Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
She. Made. Up. Her. Own. Facts.

She didn't just tell us they the killers were black males, she gave in age range which turned out to be wrong, she told us where they grew up, that they had siblings by multiple fathers and gave a radius in which they were hiding out. That is completely unacceptable for anyone representing a news agency. I don't want to believe that all of her supporters are simpletons, races or both, but I'm left with very little choice.
100 percent correct. The DA didn't even get that specific

Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,896,709 times
Quote:
Thats the end all statement right there. It sucks, I hate all of this political correctness in our society more than anyone, but you said it. This is what this is all about. She should have been that smart
Tell me about this political correctness. What does it entail, and why do you hate it?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,771,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Tell me about this political correctness. What does it entail, and why do you hate it?
As I already stated, CNN had two people giving their opinion on the Wendy Bell lawsuit. Both people where black. Blacks make up a small portion of the population in the US, but CNN knew better to have a white person give an opinion on this lawsuit. In other words it is politically correct to NOT discuss race if you are white. If you are a successful white person, you should never mention race or anything that has to do with race in any way. That is how far political correctness has gone if you are a white person. If you are a minority, you can speak however you place because these rules don't apply. I am just telling it like it really is. You don't want me to give examples do you? Jesse Williams at the BET Awards is pretty recent. Reverse his speech and make him white. His career would be over and he would be simply labeled as a KKK member. Not with Jesse though. He is being applauded by the audience AND many white people are applauding him as well. These days it is best for white people to be very silent. Sure you can talk to each other about it in a very private setting, but certainly not in public. That would be politically incorrect. Get it now?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,575,886 times
I'm kind of surprised people aren't a little more annoyed with her concocting of a dysfunctional homelife story for the waiter than they are. I found that less defensible than the bit on the Wburg shooters, personally.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,915,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I'm kind of surprised people aren't a little more annoyed with her concocting of a dysfunctional homelife story for the waiter than they are. I found that less defensible than the bit on the Wburg shooters, personally.
That was my only issue with her post. My son comes from a two parent middle class home. If he was working there she would have made the same assumption. I was highly offended and was shocked by her ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh