Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:15 PM

395 posts, read 488,316 times

Advertisements

Forget settling it out of court. I want to see it be admitted that WTAE committed a wrongdoing. You have to be totally blind to not see that there's a double standard when it comes to race and it's about time that someone stood up and expose that double standard and I applaud Wendy Bell for doing just that.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
Forget settling it out of court. I want to see it be admitted that WTAE committed a wrongdoing. You have to be totally blind to not see that there's a double standard when it comes to race and it's about time that someone stood up and expose that double standard and I applaud Wendy Bell for doing just that.
Do you care to explain this racial double-standard and how it applies to Wendy Bell? While you're at it, tell me about WTAE's "wrongdoing".

Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
I'll be honest, I never liked her. If I was looking for local news and saw her on, I changed channels. She came across to me as being smug and superior, patronizing a lot of stories she read. The post on FB was more of the same IMO, except she somehow made it all about her. I was surprised that she got fired, but truly, I just didn't care.
Was there a non-compete clause involved here? Because you'd think, with all her Emmy's, she would've been snapped right up otherwise. Or, the other stations just didn't want to deal with her baggage, proving WTAE right in their decision.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliuswonder View Post
Wendy's argument essentially boils down to her saying that whenever a white person is fired for saying something racist, it is discrimination because a black person probably wouldn't be fired if they were to say the same racist statement.
This is not how civil rights suits work.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Pretty good chance she'll never work in TV anymore no matter what the outcome.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM

697 posts, read 778,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Pretty good chance she'll never work in TV anymore no matter what the outcome.
FOX news?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
She really can't go anywhere else in this or any other market till the noncompete is done in 2017. Unfortunately most tv and radio personalities that are well known have to sign them when accepting a job which protects the station from said personality jumping to the competition. Usually they are for 3 or more years, so she is lucky it is only for a year.

From Post Gazette, last paragraph:
In the meantime, Ms. Bell continues to look for a new job, Mr. Cordes said. However, he continued, that prospect is complicated because WTAE management told her that it would enforce a noncompete clause in her contract through March 30, 2017.

Fired WTAE anchor Bell files suit for reinstatement | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 06-21-2016, 09:22 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Reporters are not supposed to have an opinion.
I agree that reporters shouldn't have an opinion, but they certainly do in the USA and news channels are wildly out of control with how they report so-called news to promote fear, agendas and hype. That being said, Wendy is certainly no different than the news channels themselves. We don't have a no bias news source in the USA. NOT ONE! Therefore, I have to question this statement.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
She really can't go anywhere else in this or any other market till the noncompete is done in 2017. Unfortunately most tv and radio personalities that are well known have to sign them when accepting a job which protects the station from said personality jumping to the competition. Usually they are for 3 or more years, so she is lucky it is only for a year.

From Post Gazette, last paragraph:
In the meantime, Ms. Bell continues to look for a new job, Mr. Cordes said. However, he continued, that prospect is complicated because WTAE management told her that it would enforce a noncompete clause in her contract through March 30, 2017.

Fired WTAE anchor Bell files suit for reinstatement | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Non-compete agreements are notoriously difficult to enforce, especially in the case of involuntary termination. If she is attempting to get another job as a newscaster, the non-compete is not likely what is holding her back. She would probably be smarter to sue to have that revoked than she would to get her old job back.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Tony Norman's take on the situation:
Tony Norman: Perky Wendy Bell plays legal hardball | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
He doesn't think she should have been fired.
Finally an article that is spot on. It sure feels great to tell the truth now and again. Great post, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh