Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well said. I'm a white guy. I make deliveries often to residents of Homewood, Larimer, East Hills, and Lincoln-Lemington, and I've never felt uncomfortable. Most recipients seem happy that they are able to order delivery through our service when many other food delivery companies (looking at you, Wheel Deliver) won't deliver there because it's "too dangerous".
OK, but there is a difference between the day time and the evening climate, in any neighborhood.

I've delivered (a few years ago) to those neighborhoods, and hated 1/2 the people I delivered to because they had a stick up you know where. I think it is a learned thing, based on class and not necessarily race. I see the same correlations in whites of lower economic classes, or based on method of earning a living.

In Rankin, thought, I could never get the hell out of there fast enough, since I was using the stingy, employee-hating boss' vehicle and was always anxious it would not be there when I returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
So let me get this straight....$47.7M on 147 townhouses at an average cost of $324K per unit, and $1M on 20 rehabilitated houses at an average cost of $50K per house.

Why are we choosing new construction over renovation for low income housing?
This is a good question. I'm hoping somone "in the know" will take this query on.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:27 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
This is a good question. I'm hoping somone "in the know" will take this query on.
I'm not "in the know" but I seem to recall reading somewhere - Pittsburgh Courier, maybe, or Homewood Nation - that the plan was to improve a centrally located part of HW and then move outward, rather than randomly picking buildings. Along Hamilton near the library and music center I believe. If you do that you have to take the lots in whatever condition they're in, and some places are beyond rehab. Some because they got knocked over some years back, whatever alley that was, Uptown Kid would know, used to be called the Killing Fields, they knocked over the whole block.

So basically if you're trying to improve one block at a time, and some homes are rehabbable and some aren't, seems like you don't get to rehab some of them, you have to start over. Some elderly people probably need handicap facilities you can't retrofit for cheaply.

Wild guesses on my part. I don't know any more than anybody else.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:39 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I'm not "in the know" but I seem to recall reading somewhere - Pittsburgh Courier, maybe, or Homewood Nation - that the plan was to improve a centrally located part of HW and then move outward, rather than randomly picking buildings. Along Hamilton near the library and music center I believe. If you do that you have to take the lots in whatever condition they're in, and some places are beyond rehab. Some because they got knocked over some years back, whatever alley that was, Uptown Kid would know, used to be called the Killing Fields, they knocked over the whole block.

So basically if you're trying to improve one block at a time, and some homes are rehabbable and some aren't, seems like you don't get to rehab some of them, you have to start over. Some elderly people probably need handicap facilities you can't retrofit for cheaply.

Wild guesses on my part. I don't know any more than anybody else.
You are exactly right. The killing fields are located on Formosa Way and several other narrow alleys behind hamilton. That section of Homewood was dense at one time. The row house alleys stretched from Homewood Avenue to Oakwood. The rowhomes were basic workforce rows but still had alot of character. I miss the density but not the violence associated with it. I wish the Hamilton Ave rows can be included in the masterplan.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:30 AM

58 posts, read 55,316 times
Nice to see the areas closest to the busway/Point Breeze getting some investment lately. Back in the days of intelligent discussion, BrianTH used to argue that Wilkinsburg and Homewood stood to benefit greatly as prices rose in E Liberty and people began to look for the next town along the busway.

It will be a long time, if ever, before Homewood is the new hip haven. But it can succeed in other ways than the traditional gentrification. These projects can bring in senior citizens and responsible people who want to own a home but don't have the means to consider the types of neighborhoods regularly discussed on this forum.

This is a nice sum of money, clearly the developers believe there is a market there despite these locations not being as close to the busway stop as the previous round of construction mentioned upthread. I like the idea and the logic behind it, but if it were my $50 million I admit I would not be brave enough to invest in Homewood right now. Kudos to them.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
GG please tell me where all this racial tension exists? You make it seam like black people are sitting around a fire planning some type of revolt against white people. I'm not sure if you are a victim of paranoia or over hyped media. Attend a middle class black function. Jazz is the perfect atmosphere to calm your fears. You will notice that black people could care less about you or what you do. We are to busy living life to care about all this BS. There are white professionals and service workers that work in Homewood daily. The Y, Carnegie Museum, schools, CCAC to name a few. Homewood is a very safe neighborhood for white people.

Your irrational fear of black people is clouding your judgement. The fear that you are experiencing can become dangerous. There was a hip hop song by the Geto Boyz titled "My mind playing tricks on me" GG I think your mind is playing tricks on you.
For the most part, the bad folks in Homewood aren't sitting around plotting against white folks. It's more likely they're sitting around plotting against people who are virtually identical to themselves with regard to race, age, and economic and social status.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Why are we choosing new construction over renovation for low income housing?
Generally speaking, that's where the funding is.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Homewood North (which has been in the news recently with the charges made against the suspects of the Wilkinsburg backyard massacre) now has slightly more violence and is in a bit more dispair than Homewood South. For the longest it was slightly the other way around.

Fiance St, 500 North Homewood Ave & Nadir Way, 7500 Susquehanna Ave, Parkdale St, & Rosedale St have been redeveloped. The row houses on Cora St, Inglenook Pl, Bennett St, El Court, Felicia Way, Fleury Way, Panke Way, Hamilton Ave, Kelly St & 7600 Tioga still need a miracle. Yet the reinvestment groups, churches & redevelopment founded groups are really cleaning up the area on Felicia Way to Hamilton Ave from North Lang Ave to Sterrett St.

Now there are mainly 3 mini sections of Homewood South. (A) The area from Dallas Ave to North Lang Ave. (B) The area from North Homewood to Brushton Ave. (C) The area from Brushton to Oakwood St. The largest residential population decline is from North Homewood Ave to Brushton. Many rowhomes and old dilapidated buildings that were around in the 90's are gone. Hence many people from Formosa Way & area B moved throughout Bennett Street, area A, area C, and out of the neighborhood into parts of: (the non gang rival section) Lowermost Lincoln, part of East Hills (non Blood territory), 1000 Brushton Ave, East Pittsburgh, South Swissvale, various parts of Penn Hills, Turtle Creek, Wilmerding, North Versailles, Stowe Rocks & Carrick. Areas A & C, blocks of Kelly from Sterrett to Brushton and blocks of Hamilton Ave from Sterrett to North Braddock Ave are now the worst parts.

In terms of roughness it goes:
Homewood North
Wilkinsburg north of Penn Ave
Homewood South
Wilkinsburg south of Penn Ave
Dallas-Inwood Streets (Homewood West)
Lower Lincoln (inc. Tiden-Vann Street Homes)
Larimer
Upper Lincoln
East Hills - the toughest non-project streets [ie. Karl St, Seagirt St, Singer Pl, etc.]
Parkhill Drive (East Hills)
what's left of Garfield
East Liberty near Larimer Ave
---
lesser exent
Brushton-Hilltop (back streets east of Blackadore)
East Hills near Penn Hills
improving parts of Garfield
what's left of East Liberty
Hays/Black St "Eastfield"

Today the streets are not as bad as they once were, although youth violence is an uphill battle. As these places have gotten better Penn Hills & the Eastern Suburbs have gotten worse. The three Pennly Park Hi-rise Towers, Garfield Heights, Larimer-Aurburn Hi-rise Tower are gone & soon Penn Plaza, Hamilton-Larimer @ 6200 Auburn St & East Liberty Gardens will be redeveloped too. Homewood North off Brushton, Lemington Heights, Phase II East Hills/1800 Maple Ridge Apts & Wilkinsburg's Paul Courts/Princeton Park Apts are the only "projects" left...

Old 07-18-2016, 06:47 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Today the streets are not as bad as they once were..
Yep, it is just a matter of time before Homewood will really be doing pretty well. This is great news and with that grant, there is no stopping it. Go Homewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh