Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM

395 posts, read 488,378 times

Advertisements

It has to be in a safe neighborhood, not a subburb, and it has to be in a school district with lower taxes. I thought of the 8th district but that's in the Taylor Alderdice school district and wouldn't Taylor Alderdice school taxes be pretty high? I see by looking on Google maps that there might be some houses tucked away in the 15210 area code. For instance, I found one on Parkwood ( don't ask me the exact address because I don't know. I'm not that tech savvy). It looks like it's been vacant for a while and there's brush that's grown around it and it looks like it needs work, but maybe there's other properties in better shape in that same general area? However, isn't that area pretty dangerous, besides St. Clair, or are there some safe parts? I never been to Banksville. Can you find houses tucked away by themselves there? What about Overbook, etch.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
City of Pittsburgh taxes are the same in all wards and school feeder zones.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 PM

How much are taxes on average? I'm talking all taxes combined total a year.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
How much are taxes on average? I'm talking all taxes combined total a year.
Property taxes within the city aren't too crazy unless your home is assessed very high. I don't know what the "average" would be since home values and assessments vary so much, but mine don't even crack $1,000 a year. The tax disadvantage to living in city limits is not property tax, it's that you pay 3% in income tax instead of the usual 1% in the suburbs.

Banksville isn't really that close to the waterfront. Am I correct in assuming that you will be working at the waterfront? How far are you willing to commute? Are you commuting by car? What's your budget? What other factors do you like in a neighborhood? What about the style/age of the house?

And by a "house by itself" do you mean just a free standing structure? Or a house where you won't feel like you have neighbors?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Greenfield - Traditional Blue Collar City Neighborhood, just west of the Waterfront.
Summerset - Newly created neighborhood closest City neighborhood to Waterfront, all new construction
Homestead - Not the city, but neighbors the Waterfront. Asian are starting to buy into Homestead, the neighborhood is in very early stages of Gentrification Very good deals in Homestead, just stay below 12th street at this point. 13 to 18 are still Sh*t.
Munhall - more like a residential neighborhood than suburb, very good buying opportunities here.. Stick to the Main Street corridor, West Street corridor has the decline affects from Homestead.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
It has to be in a safe neighborhood, not a subburb, and it has to be in a school district with lower taxes. I thought of the 8th district but that's in the Taylor Alderdice school district and wouldn't Taylor Alderdice school taxes be pretty high? I see by looking on Google maps that there might be some houses tucked away in the 15210 area code. For instance, I found one on Parkwood ( don't ask me the exact address because I don't know. I'm not that tech savvy). It looks like it's been vacant for a while and there's brush that's grown around it and it looks like it needs work, but maybe there's other properties in better shape in that same general area? However, isn't that area pretty dangerous, besides St. Clair, or are there some safe parts? I never been to Banksville. Can you find houses tucked away by themselves there? What about Overbook, etch.?
Tax bill per $100,000 of value in the city

City of Pittsburgh $806.00
School District of Pittsburgh $984.00
Allegheny County $473.00

$2,263 per $100,000

Suburbs would probably be more tax on the home and less on the income. Usually !% income tax in the burbs and around 3% for the city. Homeowners are paying around $2,500-$2,900 in the burbs per $100,000. These are just general numbers for comparison. Each borough in the burbs have their own rate, but Allegheny County is consistent.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 AM

140 posts, read 166,173 times
Regarding taxes, all "city of Pittsburgh" neighborhoods have the same tax burden:
22.63 mills property tax
3% wage tax
4% real estate transfer tax

The suburbs all vary (especially regarding property taxes), but below is an example:
White Oak tax burden:
25.54 mills property tax
1% wage tax
2% real estate transfer tax

Granted, white oak has a lower than average school tax burden (for the eastern suburbs at least), but it is super convienent to the waterfront (about 5 mins away) & is definitely a safe neighborhood..

Old 07-02-2016, 11:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Yeah, that transfer tax is pretty horrible, but is split by buyer and seller. Double of most suburbs. A $100,000 home gets hit with $1,000 in the burbs, but the city is $2,000 for a home buyer. That is crazy high, but we love our taxes!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Property taxes within the city aren't too crazy unless your home is assessed very high. I don't know what the "average" would be since home values and assessments vary so much, but mine don't even crack $1,000 a year. The tax disadvantage to living in city limits is not property tax, it's that you pay 3% in income tax instead of the usual 1% in the suburbs.

Banksville isn't really that close to the waterfront. Am I correct in assuming that you will be working at the waterfront? How far are you willing to commute? Are you commuting by car? What's your budget? What other factors do you like in a neighborhood? What about the style/age of the house?

And by a "house by itself" do you mean just a free standing structure? Or a house where you won't feel like you have neighbors?
Since the disadvantage of living in the city is income tax and not property tax than in that case I would be looking for a place in the suburbs. As far as commute time I would like to keep it under fifteen minutes. My budget would be $50,000 tops. If it needs work done to it than it can't be more than $50,000 to fix. I don't care about the style or age of the house. By a house by its self I mean a house on a private driveway or where my nearest neighbor would be quite a ways down the road.

Last edited by alastad; 07-02-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 PM

146 posts, read 297,020 times
You might want to add a zero if that's what you're aiming for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh