Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
You've committed the crime of blasting something related to Pittsburgh, and must pay.
I said a few hail marys before I went to bed just to be safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Can you name a better authority?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
apparently any authority would be better than one that releases a list not only ranking Pittsburgh above all other cities for beer but praising micro-breweries in the south side that currently do not, and have never existed.
There you go.

Also, please explain to me how they use taxes on alcohol as a metric when, despite any taxes, I can buy craft beer cheaper here in Chicago (and probably other great beer cities) than I can in Pittsburgh. It is well known that alcohol is expensive when buying retail in Pennsylvania.

I know I know how dare I question an **~`~~``**Internet List** ' '~~'~** clickbait that boosts Pittsburgh

I guess Pittsburghers just choose to ignore the billion other "lists" that rank places like Portland as the best beer cities...if you are even remotely into craft beer, and even if you are the biggest diehard Pittsburgh booster, you will fully admit that there are better beer cities in the US.

What craft breweries in the Southside do you like?

Although I DESPISE lists of these sort, the Thrillist one regarding "best beer cities" was pretty accurate and most craft beer enthusiasts would likely agree with it in general terms (much unlike many other "lists" on the internet about 'most miserable cities', 'most livable cities', etc. especially when the same publication puts the same city on both lists)

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...ies-in-america

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 07-07-2016 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Group plans a big beer museum for Pittsburgh

If this ends up getting built, built well, and they put it in the right place it would be great for tourism.

Where might be the best location?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post

If this ends up getting built, built well, and they put it in the right place it would be great for tourism.

The former iron city site seems logical to me.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:38 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
The former iron city site seems logical to me.
Haven't they demolished most of the structures, save for the Liberty Ave facing building? That would be a good site to build on and retain some history and historical appearance. I like that idea but I wonder if they want to be clear that this is a non affiliated museum, something they note in the article.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Haven't they demolished most of the structures, save for the Liberty Ave facing building? That would be a good site to build on and retain some history and historical appearance. I like that idea but I wonder if they want to be clear that this is a non affiliated museum, something they note in the article.
I'd say since its no longer owned by the brewer that should suffice to distance itself maybe?. At least Pittsburgh brewing can be tied to some historical occurance (aluminun can pop top & twist off taps) for a museum being that the region as a whole doesn't really exude beer or brewing history of much note that I'm aware of anyways.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:15 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
I'd say since its no longer owned by the brewer that should suffice to distance itself maybe?. At least Pittsburgh brewing can be tied to some historical occurance (aluminun can pop top & twist off taps) for a museum being that the region as a whole doesn't really exude beer or brewing history of much note that I'm aware of anyways.
Well, Cleveland isn't really the heart of Rock 'n Roll but they have the Hall of Fame.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:04 AM

115 posts, read 99,905 times
For someone not from PGH, I could picture them considering Brew Gents, Voo Doo, and Rock Bottom all the sahsyhe
For someone not knowing beer, I could picture them considering Hofbrauhaus, and Fat Heads both breweries
Mix that with Spoonwood, Hitchhiker, and Insurrection...nthats a lot of breweries on the sahsyhe

Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother_rebus View Post
For someone not from PGH, I could picture them considering Brew Gents, Voo Doo, and Rock Bottom all the sahsyhe
For someone not knowing beer, I could picture them considering Hofbrauhaus, and Fat Heads both breweries
Mix that with Spoonwood, Hitchhiker, and Insurrection...nthats a lot of breweries on the sahsyhe
what?

I take it you are saying that the author mistakenly thought that Homestead and Braddock are the South Side? Firstly, they aren't. Secondly, Rock Bottom is a national chain, as is Hofbra. Fatheads is a Cleveland brewery with a Pittsburgh brewpub. Spoonwood isn't even close to the South Side. It just happens to be on the same general geographic side of the city. Same with Hitchhiker. Insurrection is even more remote. Pittsburgh has a fine beer scene for a city its size. No question about that. But I can't find any excuse to put it at the top. That is absolutely absurd.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 08-31-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:

No location set yet, but going forward.

Pittsburgh planners 'going big' with beer museum | TribLIVE

Maybe allow local brewers to offer their beer, maybe a theme park with a log flume into suds of beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh