Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:35 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think it actually might be 60% for the occupancy standard.

One of the past presidents, of a national hospitality/hotelier industry organization, informed me of 70% when I asked him last week-end, at a party.( He also was a former COO of a large hotel holding company).

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-06-2016 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
One of the past presidents, of a national hospitality/hotelier industry organization, informed me of 70% when I asked him last week-end, at a party.( He also was a former COO of a large hotel holding company).
This even further begs the question. If we were only at 62% occupancy, why did we increase supply by 13% in 2 years?

Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
This even further begs the question. If we were only at 62% occupancy, why did we increase supply by 13% in 2 years?

Isn't that what I just stated earlier in the thread?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-06-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 02:58 PM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Isn't that what I just asked you earlier in the thread?
I was echoing what you said after it was further established what standard occupancy rates were. I didn't realize you were asking me directly. I had no clue what standard occupancy rates are, I was only pulling data directly from the article itself. I only commented in the first place not as being some sort of hotel occupancy insider, but in response to people citing the article as their reasoning to flip their lid over the perceived doom and gloom of the Pittsburgh economy while the facts presented in the same article contradict that notion.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:38 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
This is a report released in May 2016, indicating that Pittsburgh area hotels doing well (I don't know how they defined their region vs. the Trib report, which likely covers a larger area).

From the report: "Pittsburgh hotels continue to perform at a high level. Smith Travel Research – the world's foremost source of hotel performance trends – reported that the percentage of available rooms in Allegheny County grew by 4.2 percent in 2015, while hotel occupancy remained even (67.3 percent) despite the increase in supply. "This really speaks to the vibrancy and attractiveness of Pittsburgh," said Davis.

RevPAR (hotel terminology for "revenue per available room") was up 3 percent in Allegheny County over 2014 and average daily rate (ADR) was up 3.4 percent. Among comparable cities such as Indianapolis, Charlotte, Milwaukee and eight other destinations, the Pittsburgh region overall ranked 2nd in both ADR and RevPAR."

Old 07-06-2016, 07:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
This is a report released in May 2016, indicating that Pittsburgh area hotels doing well (I don't know how they defined their region vs. the Trib report, which likely covers a larger area).

From the report: "Pittsburgh hotels continue to perform at a high level. Smith Travel Research – the world's foremost source of hotel performance trends – reported that the percentage of available rooms in Allegheny County grew by 4.2 percent in 2015, while hotel occupancy remained even (67.3 percent) despite the increase in supply. "This really speaks to the vibrancy and attractiveness of Pittsburgh," said Davis.

RevPAR (hotel terminology for "revenue per available room") was up 3 percent in Allegheny County over 2014 and average daily rate (ADR) was up 3.4 percent. Among comparable cities such as Indianapolis, Charlotte, Milwaukee and eight other destinations, the Pittsburgh region overall ranked 2nd in both ADR and RevPAR."
It appears then that the problem is the exurban hotel market collapsing.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Maybe this explains why on my last three visits, I got some very good rates at some very good hotels in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Just like the old saying goes, "If you build it, they will come!"

Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It appears then that the problem is the exurban hotel market collapsing.
Whether or not that is true, the article makes it sound like obtaining financing for any projects, whether in the urban core or suburbs, has become difficult.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 PM

115 posts, read 99,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The linked article really focuses on the problems Washington County hotels are having after the fracking boom died down. Maybe the Omni, Ace, etc. hotels are having issues, but it's hard to tell from either the article or the data.

Also hard to tll from prices.
Not sure, but perhaps if they dropped rates slightly, people would bmore inclined, vs. AirBnB or just going to a different city all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh