Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 AM

994 posts, read 900,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I wanted to bump this to provide an update.
I walked to Market Square on my lunch break today, and there are now two signs prominently posted at opposite corners of the square (one by the Starbucks, and one by Nicholas Coffee) informing people of the rules of Market Square. Interestingly, the sign also noted that Market Square was a park, and I believe the very first rule enumerated was that it is a non-smoking area - including a reference to the relevant City ordinance number.
I looked but didn't see the signs. Where is the one by Starbucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
Back in the late 80's/ early 90's when I attended Pitt, the main excuse panhandlers always gave was they needed money to get something to eat. I usually just invited them to walk with me to McDonalds and offered to buy them a cheeseburger. Amazingly, I never actually bought any cheeseburgers for panhandlers during my four years there!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I looked but didn't see the signs. Where is the one by Starbucks?

I circled them in red

Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Where is the camp at?
Along the allegheny passage bike trail basically between 13th & 17th streets; also a big one above station square.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Now that is disturbing. I don't mind or pay attention to panhandlers. I just pretend that I do not hear the request. It is not as bad as it used to be though. In the 80s and 90s it was terrible and very annoying. Or maybe the panhandlers are intimidated by me. Im 6'3" and approximately 190lbs.
I don't mind the local regular panhandlers on Carson St, as they're actually very polite. The 'travelers' are a different story altogether. They mainly target women with their harassment.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:24 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,302 times
Quote:
I received responses.
In a nutshell, I pointed out how unsafe I feel on Liberty Ave due to the kids constantly acting the fool on that stretch. I also pointed out that it is like the Wild West (and included the observation, I believe made by ukyank, to rename the Wood Street T Station the OK Corral) as there is no pro-active law enforcement. I only see the Port Authority Police posted in front of the McDonald's on Wood St, and that they seem entirely reactive. I suggested the need for proactive foot patrols of the area, and pointed out this unpredictability of LEO presence will help dissuade crime (as it is now, if I as an average commuter, know where the cops are - then surely any half-way competent criminal knows where they are too) and will help with traffic, as the foot patrols can issue citations for the cars that are constantly illegally parked on Liberty and that create dangerous, and annoying, traffic problems.

I received very prompt, and positive, replies to my e-mail. The responses stated that there are plans to create police details for both Market Square and Liberty Avenue, and it does seem that these problems are being taken seriously.
Good to hear that the police were responsive to those concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh