Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:13 AM

34 posts, read 30,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Rumor is they are both Jewish, so they don't attack each other. There goal is to dominate the grocery market in their areas so they both control all the groceries and price things as they see fit. Sort of like what the banking industry is doing to our government with total domination of the people. Just look at student loan debt. Anyway, I don't think they planned on the popularity of Aldi and Trader Joe's. That is no doubt cutting into their business.
I'm not sure if I fully buy that - there are Wegmans locations in State College, Harrisburg, and a few across eastern Pennsylvania. Within a mile or two of both the State College and Harrisburg stores, there is at least one Giant and Weis store, and they've both been there for generations before Wegmans arrived on the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 11:22 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Exactly. There's also a Wegmans and GE in Erie.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Three Ohio franchises have entered the Pittsburgh market for those that are interested.

Graeter's Ice Cream (Cincinnati-based) is now open on Perry Highway in Wexford. Ice-Cream Alert: Graeter's Scoop Shop to Open in Wexford - The 412 - June 2016

Pulp Juice and Smoothie Bar (Kent-based) is now open on 19 in Cranberry. Very reasonably priced and quality Smoothies, Juices, and Wraps/Salads. Please go check them out if you live or work in the area. Pulp Juice And Smoothie Bar | Fruit Smoothies, Fresh, Made-to-Order Wraps And Salads

Piada Italian Street Food (Columbus-based) will be opening at Forbes/Meyran in Oakland. This is the Chipotle of Italian food. I thought they were supposed to open this summer, but it looks like November.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...o-oakland.html
Non of these sound that interesting to me to be honest. Here is the ingredients for Graeter's vanilla ice cream. Cream, milk, cane sugar, skim milk, eggs, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, carob bean gum, guar gum.

Not a fan of gummed up ice cream for the most part, but Trader Joe's vanilla is pretty good and has some gum in it. I don't like smoothies, but the Italian could be worth a try. Anyone have it?

Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 PM

697 posts, read 773,818 times
Quote:
Rumor is they are both Jewish, so they don't attack each other. There goal is to dominate the grocery market in their areas so they both control all the groceries and price things as they see fit. Sort of like what the banking industry is doing to our government with total domination of the people. Just look at student loan debt. Anyway, I don't think they planned on the popularity of Aldi and Trader Joe's. That is no doubt cutting into their business.
First you said it was a rumor, then defined their goals as aligned with domination like banking. Giant Eagle owner is Jewish; do you have valid info that founder of Wegmans is also Jewish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I believe they have a "gentleman's agreement" not to move into each other's territory.
I've heard that, and am familiar with another instance many years ago where Giant Eagle had a similar gentlemans (both men) arrangement with another company.

Quote:
Correct. There are always people that like to label things, so they get swept under the rug. I am very knowledgable in business in general and know who owns what and what is going on in many areas of business. It is the same thing as saying so and so has a business agreement with another bloke because they belong to the same church, but of course we are talking about Jewish people in this case so BOOM anti-semite!! Just stating factual information if you don't like a fact, then put me on ignore because I post a lot of facts that people don't like.

Anyway, Merge wiped out another thread. Go figure.
Merge? So now what you first reported as rumor and other inferences you made from that rumor are now fact?

The new Ohio businesses sound like great additions to the region.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
... do you have valid info that founder of Wegmans is also Jewish..
No the CEO is Catholic. Seems my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. I think I was thinking of a different grocery chain. In light of this, I have no idea why Wegman's wouldn't open a store here. Maybe they don't want to do battle with Giant Eagle.

Now back to the topic of the new places coming from Ohio.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No the CEO is Catholic. Seems my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. I think I was thinking of a different grocery chain. In light of this, I have no idea why Wegman's wouldn't open a store here. Maybe they don't want to do battle with Giant Eagle.

Now back to the topic of the new places coming from Ohio.
Business is business. If there's enough $$$ to be made they'll move in to make it...same as these Ohio companies coming in.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,857,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliuswonder View Post
I'm not sure if I fully buy that - there are Wegmans locations in State College, Harrisburg, and a few across eastern Pennsylvania. Within a mile or two of both the State College and Harrisburg stores, there is at least one Giant and Weis store, and they've both been there for generations before Wegmans arrived on the scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Exactly. There's also a Wegmans and GE in Erie.
I didn't hear that it was because they were Jewish, I heard it was because they didn't want a blood bath so they made a trade or deal. Does make you wonder why Wegman's is in Erie and out east but not in the entire SWPA region.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I didn't hear that it was because they were Jewish, I heard it was because they didn't want a blood bath so they made a trade or deal. Does make you wonder why Wegman's is in Erie and out east but not in the entire SWPA region.
Bloodbath? Not hardly. Those days are long gone.

Just an example, Aldi just went in next door to GE in Cranberry plaza, Walmart is one plaza over and Shop n Save is close to all of them.

If there's enough $$$ to be made they'll move in anywhere they want.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 AM

540 posts, read 864,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
No one is a fan of Handel's, in West Mifflin (and another location somewhere around here)???? Good, good stuff...
Handel's is great. They are also an Ohio company (Youngstown). The other Pittsburgh location is in McCandless.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,155,707 times
I shopped at the Waterworks yesterday, and there was a Graeter's truck giving away free samples and coupons. I tried mocha chip and thought it was pretty good.
Of course, everything tastes better when it's free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh