Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 36,908 times

Advertisements

What are thoughts on buying in this area?
Now that Shenango on Neville Island has been shut down and air quality isn't an issue, do you think it will be any more desireable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benicetome View Post
What are thoughts on buying in this area?
Now that Shenango on Neville Island has been shut down and air quality isn't an issue, do you think it will be any more desireable?
The school district is good and only getting better. The entire district is only about 1400 kids, so it doesn't take a lot to make major improvements. Someone who is very powerful in the world of education recently moved from the FCSD to the Avonworth district, and will be sending his kids there. Grant money has already started coming in.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
Its a lovely area. There are lots of historic homes ( some needing major updates though) and it has a very peaceful vibe. Its a super easy commute to both the north, west, downtown, and airport. The school district continues to grow and get better rankings.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The school district is good and only getting better. The entire district is only about 1400 kids, so it doesn't take a lot to make major improvements. Someone who is very powerful in the world of education recently moved from the FCSD to the Avonworth district, and will be sending his kids there. Grant money has already started coming in.
Oh come on. Who has the juice?

We have friends that live in Ben Avon and like it a lot. The bought there for two reasons: the small school district and the commute to town.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM

18 posts, read 36,908 times
Not sure if it's an issue but since Ben Avon shares a zipcode (15202) with Avalon/Bellevue of the Northgate school district, it seems to have a negative perception when searching for homes.
I'm choosing between Avonworth and Quaker Valley or Pine Richland and want a solid resale market (if such a thing exists).

Any local realtors have insight into how shutting the coke factory might improve local real estate or was that never really an issue?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,128,757 times
I responded to your pm, forgot as for air quality we have lived here for 9 years. Other than once or twice in that entire time we never had air quality issues and those few times it was just a off smell nothing bad. We looked at Avonworth and Pine, I liked pine more just for the yards and more rural setting but if you have to drive its much more of a hassle. We settled on Avonworth because pricing seemed you could get more for the $

Old 07-19-2016, 01:39 PM

130 posts, read 122,420 times
Air quality was never really an issue in Emsworth or Ben Avon. I lived in that area for 10 years and never heard anyone even discuss it. It was my understanding that Avalon and some edges of Bellevue were downwind from the plant and asthma rates were higher there. So, no, I don't think the plant shutting down will have much effect on the market there. Ben Avon is a lovely community, and the schools are small but solid.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM

697 posts, read 777,796 times
I have friends in Avonworth district and its growing. They really like it and expect that some of the smaller school issues like limited sports and special classes will diminish as the district grows. We drive through Ben Avon on occasion and I think it's a lovely area.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
The pollution problem was with the children, my step son came from that area, he had the worst breathing problems. He was in the emergency room constantly with asthma attacks that could not be controlled. Once I moved him to my house they were gone. I was told by his dr. That the asthma rate was extremely high in that area. I personally don't think it will effect the resale value, I don't think the coke works was a large deterrent for people wanting to live in that area.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
No issues with resale in the ben avon area. The market is pretty strong. I lived in the area for 15+ years growing up and never had an issue. My brother had asthma and it never changed from when we moved from Ross twp, to ben avon. I didnt know anybody that suffered from breathing issues growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh