Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
It seems that many left-leaning groups ignore individual bad behaviour which works aganist their creditability, concentrate on
too many abstract concepts like "the system" or "institutional racism" these exists but they need to be broken down and explained on a concrete level.

The unendtended result is the impression that black lives matter only when killed by police, and which further works against
their moral authority in that the individuals killed were less than stellar in their backgrounds in some cases...

There may be an evil system in place, but individuals within that system make their own choices. Liberals look at things in
groups, conservatives look at things on an individual level. The left concentrates too much on the big picture, change comes
on the ground on a more individual level..
We have an agency tasked with policing individual bad behavior, they're called the police. Is the people's responsibility to hold institutions accountable, that's were activism comes in. I don't know why that's so difficult for you to understand

Old 07-20-2016, 06:31 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I oppose extrajudicial killing by representatives of the state. Big difference.
So in a situation where the police use multiple non lethal means to subdue someone who is trying to do them bodily harm & said individual continues to try to inflict bodily harm, should they just stand there & take it like a man? (Or woman depending on the gender of the cop). I'm trying to understand what the police were supposed to do differently in this scenario you're traveling downtown to rally about.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We have an agency tasked with policing individual bad behavior, they're called the police. Is the people's responsibility to hold institutions accountable, that's were activism comes in. I don't know why that's so difficult for you to understand
Why assume I didn't understand that? This group of people call themselves Black Lives Matter they are
activists againist police abuse which is fine and where there is wrong doing or percieved wrong doing by
police, then those specifc police should be held accountable.

I think it is also the people's responsiblity to take control of their neighborhoods and cooperate with the
police when need be and not BLINDLY defend people with questionable backgrounds..I agree people with
bad backgrounds can be victims of excessive force and they shouldn't be. But individual resposibility seems
to be left out of the equation in some of these cases blaming abstract socialogical theories for bad behaviour.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Why assume I didn't understand that? This group of people call themselves Black Lives Matter they are
activists againist police abuse which is fine and where there is wrong doing or percieved wrong doing by
police, then those specifc police should be held accountable.

I think it is also the people's responsiblity to take control of their neighborhoods and cooperate with the
police when need be and not BLINDLY defend people with questionable backgrounds..I agree people with
bad backgrounds can be victims of excessive force and they shouldn't be. But individual resposibility seems
to be left out of the equation in some of these cases blaming abstract socialogical theories for bad behaviour.
Exactly.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:31 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
My basic point is this group is calling itself Black Lives Matter, they concentrate it seems on police abuse cases, which is fine
at least that is what the media presents. Now they may deal with "black-on-black crime" but that is not presented. So the
PERCEPTION is created they ignore black shootings which are reported WAY more often than police abuse cases. So rightly or
wrongly the PERCEPTION is created or inferred that "BLACK LIVES MATTER ONLY WHEN BLACKS ARE SHOT BY COPS"

Then on a local level, they demonstrate in defense of a hoodlum who was shot by cops. They would have more credibility if they ALSO protested against some of these young black guys shooting each other and little girls. They would have
better public relations and more credibilty if they demonstrated in defense of a INNOCENT person shot by police, and moral
authority if they demonstrated against people shooting little kids.

If they want to call themselves "Black Lives Matter", then be non-selective about who takes black lives when you protest, thats all.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:36 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
^^^^Exactly.

Everyone's lives matter. Not sure why they think they can pick and choose.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-20-2016 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 PM

697 posts, read 778,153 times
My sense is that many people attending this event are there to protest police brutality (by some police, not all) against black people. Not all are going specifically because of one local incident or because they are card carrying BLM members (if there is such a thing)

I don't think (us) white people should be arguing or questioning black people who say they are going to this event.

I don't think the guy in this video would have been shot if he was white. His hands were up, he was on the ground and trying to explain the details. Many of us just get to read about these incidents, not live in fear that they'll happen to us. Black man shot by police while lying on the ground with his hands up.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 AM

51 posts, read 74,183 times
If you want to protest about police then you protest at city hall or the police station. That would be the common sense thing to do..These ones blocking interstates are doing nothing but messing with other peoples lives .In the past disrupting college libraries ect ect ect And BLM is not winning over people for their cause by doing those types of activities.Just proving themselves a nuisance..

Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Everyone's lives matter. Not sure why they think they can pick and choose.
This line has been refuted so many times, and in so many forums, that I just have to chalk its continued use up to either deliberate ignorance or knowing provocation.

There you go: An explanation of the logical fallacy that "all lives matter" is somehow a coherent or meaningful response to "black lives matter," so clear that even many users of this site might understand it.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
This line has been refuted so many times, and in so many forums, that I just have to chalk its continued use up to either deliberate ignorance or knowing provocation.
There you go: An explanation of the logical fallacy that "all lives matter" is somehow a coherent or meaningful response to "black lives matter," so clear that even many users of this site might understand it.
Perhaps you should read the most recent academic study by Fryer finding no statistical difference in the chance of an African American being on the receiving end of a police shooting than any other person during police interactions. Continuing to disrupt people's lives over a false narrative is deliberate ignorance on the part of the organizers.

If the group would change their tactics & not have a race based focus as well as to stop blaming 100% of the shootings on the men in blue perhaps the group would garner some public support but as it stands most people rightfully view blm members in a negative light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh