Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,942,390 times

Advertisements

Until very recently, Pittsburgh wasn't really doing much mixed office-retail development of the kind I think you are describing. That is changing with projects like SouthSide Works, Bakery Square, and the conversion of the Don Allen properties at various stages of development.

Personally, I would think you might want to look at Downtown and Oakland right now, even though those are not "new" areas, because that is where a lot of the professional employers in the city are still located. You would also have a lot of nice housing options, many with short commutes by public transit, if you work in either of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 AM

10 posts, read 35,484 times
Default columbus to pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Just live in Robinson and try to find work off of the Parkway or Downtown. It is fairly new and growing. I moved from Columbus to here too. my advice.....don't freakin do it.

Big Tuna,

What part of Columbus were you from? And can you elaborate on why u suggest not to make the move?

Cheers,
Rocc

Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Default a few years later

I moved to Pittsburgh in 2010, In looking back this is my opinion on the following

Locations of employment in the Computer Technicians
1 Easiest to get a job in a hurry, Warrendale/Cranberry/Moon
2 Monroeville, Coraopolis, Maybe South Hills
2 Downtown/North Shore/SouthSide and Oakland (Downtown has some big employers but I have yet to be lucky enough to get in. When I had a chance I would miss the opening because I had just started a project, get word to late or just never get a call back.

Since I've been in PGH and left Columbus it's been somewhat of a struggle but I have to say I love it here. If I was in the same situation and living in Ohio I would hate Columbus while of course appreciating my love ones.

The last go around I looked for a REAL job extremely hard for 5 months. That was painful.
I would say it takes about 3 to 18 months to find a job you like. You may hit gold your first time out or take a while. I thought I was moving a broad so that threw a monkey wrench in my plans when I didn't go. I am slowly getting back on track.

I have had 2 projects in the last 6 months.

You may have to take a help desk job or desk side role to get in the door with a company for other opportunities.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,903,116 times
ive found it hard to find an IT job in Pittsburgh. Mostly has to do what my focus is on, which to me, doesn't seem to be a big industry here compared to where im originally from. Im talking about network admin/security

id think if you are software developer or database then you'll find it a lot easier job out here.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,691,685 times
This is a weird request. There are firms all over the place. Wouldn't you start by chasing a particular job or company rather than which office park has a mall near it or looks newer?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,755,234 times
^ yes it would make sense for the OP to concentrate on finding the best job for their career, and not worry about exactly where it is in the metro area or how new the area is.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM

Let the people who need the information use it. There is no need to find fault on the availability of the information/opinion that was provided about locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh