Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I see this as good and bad. I see it as good because Pittsburgh does need more green space. I see it as bad because what happen if criminals who live in the Hill District decide to take a leisurely stroll down to the park to harass park users?
The Hill District isn't nearly as dangerous as it was even just a couple of years ago. Zone 2, which includes the Hill District, Downtown, Uptown, Strip District, Polish Hill, and Lawrenceville, is the only city police zone which has not had a homicide yet in 2016. I had to get drug-tested back in June for a new job, and I walked from my home on Brereton Street up Herron Avenue to Wylie Avenue and walked that through the heart of the Hill to UPMC Mercy. I survived. I exchanged pleasantries with people I passed on the sidewalk. Nobody gave me a second glance as a young lower-middle-class white guy.

Homewood, on the other hand, still gives me the creeps after dark as a delivery driver. During the day I don't hesitate to spend time in Homewood, though.

The VAST majority of violent crime in Pittsburgh is targeted. Also, for whatever reason roughly ~90% of those who commit homicides and roughly ~90% of homicide victims in the city each year are African-American males. With rare exceptions like the Wolfe sisters case you have absolutely nothing to fear as a law-abiding white person OR law-abiding black person anywhere in the city.

Property crime in this city is out-of-control right now, though, but having someone egg my front door or key my car door wouldn't make me want to clutch my pearls and flee to Wexford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Property crime in this city is out-of-control right now, though, but having someone egg my front door or key my car door wouldn't make me want to clutch my pearls and flee to Wexford.
Any more details you can provide? This isn't something I've seen reported in the news

Old 07-29-2016, 05:58 PM

697 posts, read 778,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post
I see this as good and bad. I see it as good because Pittsburgh does need more green space. I see it as bad because what happen if criminals who live in the Hill District decide to take a leisurely stroll down to the park to harass park users?
Given that the majority of the Hill residents are non-criminals, I think the benefit is worth the perceived cost of some criminals having a nice walk to "harass park users." Who knows, some criminals may drive or take the bus to do their crimes. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Middle Hill near library, YMCA and shopping center and haven't been harassed or crime victim.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 PM

697 posts, read 778,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Any more details you can provide? This isn't something I've seen reported in the news
You can follow Pgh bureau of police zones on Facebook. Zone 4 recently reported that there have been a lot of bike thefts in Sq Hil and Shadyside.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:28 PM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
I was really hoping they'd leave a giant parking lot so we can use this as an autocross course.

Sarcasm aside, that would be a pretty ridiculous autocross venue and we'd likely be able to score national events and decent press having downtown as a backdrop like that.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 AM

18 posts, read 13,690 times
Quote:
"It's a waste of my tax dollars..."

WAHHHH!!!
It looks like it's only going to be $390k of local dollars. The majority will come from a DOT Discretionary grant request and some state funding.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:27 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Several foundations will also be supporting this project.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 13,690 times
Quote:
The Hill District isn't nearly as dangerous as it was even just a couple of years ago. Zone 2, which includes the Hill District, Downtown, Uptown, Strip District, Polish Hill, and Lawrenceville, is the only city police zone which has not had a homicide yet in 2016.
Not saying it's dangerous, but homicide stats aren't the only barometer of safety. Assaults, rapes, muggings, etc. tell more of a story. (Again, not saying that it's high in those categories...I have no idea...just stating that it's not all about murder.)

Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,710 times
The section of the Hill District closest to the development area is stable. It consist of working and middle class home owners and renters. The area of the Hill between Dinwiddie an Crawford is not inhabited by rapist, muggers, and murderers. Drive through the area park and take a nice stroll. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh