Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 01:31 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,656 times

Advertisements

Samreny's was one of my all time favorite restaurants and I still miss their food after all these years. My college roommate and I used to drive about 2 hours from school just to eat dinner there. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have since lived in many other places, but have never found any food that compares to theirs.

So anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any of their recipes and would be willing to share them with me. I especially loved their stuffed grape leaves and baba ganoush. Samreny's was the only place I ever knew that served hot grape leaves with a tomato based sauce - everywhere else seems to serve them cold and with lemon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Google got me these...
http://old.post-gazette.com/food/19990624mailbox.asp
Salad dressing request goes straight to the source | TribLIVE

You can probably find more with a little digging.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Google got me these...
Summer sizzles with shish kebab a la Samreny's
Salad dressing request goes straight to the source | TribLIVE

You can probably find more with a little digging.
Thanks so much. I had seen the salad dressing one, but not the other. I really appreciate your response. I've even considered looking up some of the Samreny family and calling them. They are such nice people. I knew the older brothers, who have since passed on, but I don't know the younger family members at all.

Thanks again for your kind response.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:47 PM

I originally started this thread a little over 2 years ago and since I'm still hoping to get these recipes, I thought I'd revive the thread in case there are any new members who might be able to help me.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,632,203 times
Amel's serves stuffed grape leaves warm. Can buy them at Pitaland in Brookline and heat as well. Awesome place. Now I'm starving! Thanks.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Amel's serves stuffed grape leaves warm. Can buy them at Pitaland in Brookline and heat as well. Awesome place. Now I'm starving! Thanks.
I don't live in Pgh. any longer, but I have relatives who do. I'll try to go there next time I visit them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
I remember going to Samreny's with my parents in the late 50s and early 60s when we lived in Pittsburgh. My dad would often take us there after Steelers and Pirates games. I especially remember the white rice with pine nuts, and perhaps, orzo pasta with butter and olive oil. Does anyone have this recipe. At this point, I can only guess at what the recipe was.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,632,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronthomson View Post
I remember going to Samreny's with my parents in the late 50s and early 60s when we lived in Pittsburgh. My dad would often take us there after Steelers and Pirates games. I especially remember the white rice with pine nuts, and perhaps, orzo pasta with butter and olive oil. Does anyone have this recipe. At this point, I can only guess at what the recipe was.
As far as the salad, try Amel's in Brookline on McNeilly. A wonderful old school place. One of the best in the South Hills. Their house salad is pretty similar to Samreny and amazing.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronthomson View Post
Yes, I loved their rice, too. I loved everything they had on their menu! I did write a note on Cecelia Samreny's facebook timeline, but never heard back from her. Oh, well. I'm disappointed, but I can't expect her to respond to me - a complete stranger. Also, it's possible that I wrote to the wrong person, but I don't think so.

This rice recipe looks and sounds exactly like the one you are talking about. Samreny's rice had vermicelli noodles in it - they were broken up into small pieces and they also included the toasted pine nuts.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...th-vermicelli/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: