Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 11:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is no such thing as "common sense "
And with that statement, you've just deemed yourself irrelevant in my book... LOL, have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
This is because Denver is not in a deep Culture War with itself. I keep saying this and people keep glossing over it.
Of for goodness sake, the only reason people gloss over it, is because it doesn't exist. Most of the old school Pittsburgh workers from the mill days are retired and if some remain, they disbursed all over the place because they were priced out of the city. Of course those old working folks don't complain about it, they just MOVE! They don't demand for subsidized housing because they would NEVER take a dime due to pride. Yep, that group you love to speak so poorly about are gone from the city for the most part. They have NO voice at all in Pittsburgh. They might have a voice in places like Sharpsburg and Etna since they can afford to live there, but forget places like Morningside and the like inside the city limits. This divide is in your mind, not in real life. The old tough working class folks that stood on their own two feet during amazingly hard times are gone. Their numbers are much too tiny to consider when voting on subjects in the city limits.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,859 times
Quote:
This is because Denver is not in a deep Culture War with itself. I keep saying this and people keep glossing over it. It permeates through out everything Pittsburgh right now, even this sub-forum. There's a "new" Pittsburgh culture which has mostly taken over the city, and county for that matter. As the City and County government are No Longer deep adversaries like in 90's, but now are in strong alliance with each other, thanks in part to having 2 progressive leaders in Peduto and Fitzgerald. I also commend both for being stead fast in their progessive goals of moving this region forward, regardless of the backlash that permeates from the Yinzers.

Yinzers, "Old Pittsburgh" is fighting to keep Pittsburgh the way the know it, stuck in the 80's and 90's life. Structural, social, and Technological changes goes against their every being. The Yinzer minds and their sympathizers on this board will vehemently deny it, because truth is hard pill to swallow, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Until the Culture war is won, by one mindset eradicating the other, this type of visceral opposition will continue to paralyze the population along deep "New" Pittsburgh vs. "Old" Pittsburgh lines.

What "New" Pittsburgh mindsets need to do, is not give into that Yinzer mindset. We need to keep marching forward, keep progressively changing the city for the better. There will always be noise makers, they can only be as loud as you let them. Change is very hard for a once very Entrenched, Insular, Isolated, Left Behind region, but they will once realize that will further be left behind if they continue deny the evolution of the region. Yinzer can try to escape the city and Allegheny county to one of further left behind collar counties, but that will only last for a matter of time, eventually Pittsburgh and Allegheny Counties progressiveness will start to infiltrate the collar counties. Then were do the Yinzers go, way up into the i-80 corridor?

The Culture War in this Region is real folks, take of the blinders for god-sakes.

I ignored you because its kind of plain common sense as to where they're coming from.

One of the biggest, if not THE biggest attributes of migration to Pittsburgh is its availability of Big-City amenities and the fact that its still Cheap. Relative word being "CHEAP" what is Pittsburgh cheap in comparison to?

again good ol'fashion common sense would say it not Cleveland, or Buffalo. It's the Eye-Gouging COL in the Coastal cities. People are not moving from Cleveland, Buffalo, or Kansas City to Pittsburgh because of the "Cheap" factor. They may move here for other reason, but COL isn't one of them.
I assure you that "old" and "new" Pittsburgh associate in harmony across many walks of life in the city. it is only super "progressives" like yourself that get on their high horse and not realize that lines are not drawn in stone in the city.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
And with that statement, you've just deemed yourself irrelevant in my book... LOL, have a nice day.
Other than here, are you doing anything or participating in any progressive programs or anything to change the "Yinzer" mindset you keep bringing up

Old 08-10-2016, 11:30 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
I assure you that "old" and "new" Pittsburgh associate in harmony across many walks of life in the city. it is only super "progressives" like yourself that get on their high horse and not realize that lines are not drawn in stone in the city.
Exactly...and if something or somewhere bothers you so much and feel things are so bad, one can always move to an area that's suits themselves better.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:34 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Stay encased in that echo chamber... I knew the minute I wrote that outline the typical resident Yinzers would be the first to respond. I have h_curtis "gg" and Erieguy on ignore, but I'm sure their rebuttals were inline with yours.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
A Pittsburgh suburb offers the best of both worlds. You can have a affordable house with a nice yard with deer on it, yet have a short drive to enjoy city amenities. Most other east coast cities can't compete with this. A lot of other cities do ultra-urban well and it is not something that makes the city unique and stand out. What really makes the area stand out is the affordable middle class suburbs with access to both urban and rural amenities.
Tastes differ. After two years living here in Morningside, I can safely say that even this neighborhood is too suburban for me. I can't wait until the kids are out of the house and we can downgrade to something with less outside space to maintain.

I have no doubt, however, that your tastes align more with the majority than mine do. That said, I also have no doubt that more people today have my tastes than was the case 20-30 years ago. Otherwise gentrification wouldn't have happened.

Last edited by eschaton; 08-10-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Tastes differ. After two years living here in Morningside, I can safely say that even this neighborhood is two suburban for me. I can't wait until the kids are out of the house and we can downgrade to something with less outside space to maintain.

I have no doubt, however, that your tastes align more with the majority than mine do. That said, I also have no doubt that more people today have my tastes than was the case 20-30 years ago. Otherwise gentrification wouldn't have happened.
it will interesting to see how everything plays out once self driving cars are the norm.

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You left out the stupid raccoon and possum. The deer aren't scattering my trash.
How could I forget them. Has anyone notice the spike in the rabbit population? They are everywhere. My older neighbor said this was due to the mild winter.

gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
I have "gg" and Erieguy on ignore, but I'm sure their rebuttals were inline with yours.
Too bad for you because you sure could use my educated opinion. Maybe someone will quote me, so you can be enlightened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh