Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding that the $450 million that the state extorts from the PTC goes directly to transit, sadly not for maintenance or expansion, but to prop up PAT and SEPTA's underfunded pension systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
It is my understanding that the $450 million that the state extorts from the PTC goes directly to transit, sadly not for maintenance or expansion, but to prop up PAT and SEPTA's underfunded pension systems.
If that is accurate, they really have to start thinking of making PAT some kind of semi-private entity, if that is possible. Some states have relinquished operation and a large part of control to private companies - foreign ones at that.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
If that is accurate, they really have to start thinking of making PAT some kind of semi-private entity, if that is possible. Some states have relinquished operation and a large part of control to private companies - foreign ones at that.
How will that help fund the pension obligations? The issue, which plagues so many government entities, is that pension law allowed far more lax funding rules for public pension plans than private ones. The unfunded obligations are on the backs of today's taxpayer (or alternative funding source) instead of the taxpayers that were responsible for the cost at the time it was actually incurred. Privatizing roads and transit agencies is only furthering the pillaging of the current generation being born today.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
How will that help fund the pension obligations? The issue, which plagues so many government entities, is that pension law allowed far more lax funding rules for public pension plans than private ones. The unfunded obligations are on the backs of today's taxpayer (or alternative funding source) instead of the taxpayers that were responsible for the cost at the time it was actually incurred. Privatizing roads and transit agencies is only furthering the pillaging of the current generation being born today.

You are questioning the wisdom of privatization, but then state that the public pensions are problematic because of unsound funding sources. I don't quite understand your response.

What I was hinting at was the eventual phasing out of public pensions, by having all that managed privately. Chances are, privatization will mean NO pensions. I do not think that is a bad idea.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:55 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
School districts DO matter. Families want the best for their children. The homes in the best school districts aren't affordable to many.
Homes in the best school districts are certainly affordable to the average wage earner. The median household income in Pittsburgh is $50k. At $50K per year, the average family should be able to afford a home valued at $150K, roughly speaking, in at least some of the school districts people consider to be the best. If both parents are working full time and average at least $25K per year, this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. (Single parent households make this task more difficult, of course).

If a middle class household earns less than the median household income, they can still afford a home in an average school district.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Homes in the best school districts are certainly affordable to the average wage earner. The median household income in Pittsburgh is $50k. At $50K per year, the average family should be able to afford a home valued at $150K, roughly speaking, in at least some of the school districts people consider to be the best. If both parents are working full time and average at least $25K per year, this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. (Single parent households make this task more difficult, of course).

If a middle class household earns less than the median household income, they can still afford a home in an average school district.
your aren't finding a 150k house in hampton, na, mt lebo. more like 200k for a family home minimum. for fox chapel maybe in sburg i guess but that has some problems. Overall i agree though.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
your aren't finding a 150k house in hampton, na, mt lebo. more like 200k for a family home minimum. for fox chapel maybe in sburg i guess but that has some problems. Overall i agree though.
You can find a house for $150K in Hampton, NA, Mt, Lebo and Fox Chapel SDs. Some of these might be harder than others to find that house, but certainly in NA and FC it can be done.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:32 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
What I was hinting at was the eventual phasing out of public pensions, by having all that managed privately. Chances are, privatization will mean NO pensions. I do not think that is a bad idea.
Can the old people stay in your house?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Can the old people stay in your house?
No, but they could stay with family (not a big deal or rare in many societies, except for our very self-centric one where mom and dad are left to rot), or use the resources they should have had planned for the previous 50 years of their life.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
No, but they could stay with family (not a big deal or rare in many societies, except for our very self-centric one where mom and dad are left to rot), or use the resources they should have had planned for the previous 50 years of their life.
If you work your career expecting for somebody who says they are going to pay you a pension, you have planned. If you don't get it after you've worked a career expecting one, you've been cheated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh