Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 03:59 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times

Advertisements

Man this segment seems like a "close but no cigar" scenario. It gets you a little closer to Downtown when on the MFE but not close enough. So morning inbound traffic on the Parkway East peaks with backups to the Penn Hills exit. This route would dump the MFE traffic just east of that exit and thus make traffic worse? I would assume residents of Jefferson Hills commuting to Downtown for work either take Route 51, 885, or take the Y1/Y46 bus (There is a giant Park and Ride about 500 feet from the MFE entrance in Jefferson that should be utilized better). Sure they would make it to Monroeville in ten minutes or so but then sit in the Parkway traffic for 40 minutes. Kennywood does stand to benefit from this leg as they would finally get a direct highway connection and interchange near the park. The old owners wanted to expand the park once this leg was built, but I doubt the current Spanish corporation owners would do that.

Overall completing this leg and the remaining ones near the airport would finally make a good and quick bypass to get out to the airport (I'd rather have light rail though). As it stands now, going laterally across Allegheny County is painful. It wouldn't be a total beltway that Columbus has (and works very well, IMO) but its something I guess, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:55 PM

27 posts, read 40,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Man this segment seems like a "close but no cigar" scenario. It gets you a little closer to Downtown when on the MFE but not close enough. So morning inbound traffic on the Parkway East peaks with backups to the Penn Hills exit. This route would dump the MFE traffic just east of that exit and thus make traffic worse? I would assume residents of Jefferson Hills commuting to Downtown for work either take Route 51, 885, or take the Y1/Y46 bus (There is a giant Park and Ride about 500 feet from the MFE entrance in Jefferson that should be utilized better). Sure they would make it to Monroeville in ten minutes or so but then sit in the Parkway traffic for 40 minutes. Kennywood does stand to benefit from this leg as they would finally get a direct highway connection and interchange near the park. The old owners wanted to expand the park once this leg was built, but I doubt the current Spanish corporation owners would do that.

Overall completing this leg and the remaining ones near the airport would finally make a good and quick bypass to get out to the airport (I'd rather have light rail though). As it stands now, going laterally across Allegheny County is painful. It wouldn't be a total beltway that Columbus has (and works very well, IMO) but its something I guess, right?
Actually, the existing proposal will bring the East Busway to a junction with the MFE in Turtle Creek and allow for, I'm sure, a large park-n-ride. With that addition to the MFE project, I believe there is actually potential to alleviate congestion at the tunnels. It wont be a silver bullet to the tunnel monster problem we have, but it could definitely be a major help!

Also, "painful" is the perfect word for travel within Allegheny County! The eastern suburbs, long the most populous in the region, are notoriously difficult to navigate, and are strangled by the lack of efficient connectivity to downtown, the airport, and points south and west. Trying to drive from Penn Hills or Monroeville to Mt. Lebanon or Bethel Park, is just absurd. One day it takes 40 minutes, the next day it will take 1 hour & 40 minutes. You could drive from Pittsburgh to the outer suburbs of Cleveland in that amount of time! I fully support construction of the MFE and busway extension!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM

96 posts, read 73,593 times
Looks like this next secrion will start to become a reality within a month or so.

Construction to begin in January on next phase of Southern Beltway | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 01-28-2019, 07:00 PM

19 posts, read 12,364 times
construction moving along on all sections of this project. From 22 to Quicksilver road it’s been going on for a few years now and should be nearing completion, bridges set crossing 980 south of McDonald; brush clearing and acid mine drainage treatment project just began on another segment linking the above two. Bridge piers built at crossing of route 50 east of Cecil. Brush cleared and earth being moved along Morganza road and 79 to prepare for construction of the interchange.

576 and 43 will probably be the last major roads built around here in our lifetimes, it’s important that they connect at their termini to other major roads, the 79 connection should provide instant relief to the 376 airport corridor by providing an alternate route around the daily gridlock on the parkway.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Just what we need, a beltway that encourages more greenfield suburban development while many inner urban neighborhoods continue to hollow out.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
I think the section from Monroeville to Southepointe is what is more pressing than what has been built so far. Seems like it would have been more useful to start east and build west, though I'm sure costs on the eastern sections will be far higher.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Just what we need, a beltway that encourages more greenfield suburban development while many inner urban neighborhoods continue to hollow out.

Seems to be what a lot of people want.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM

969 posts, read 772,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I think the section from Monroeville to Southepointe is what is more pressing than what has been built so far. Seems like it would have been more useful to start east and build west, though I'm sure costs on the eastern sections will be far higher.
It's all an extreme waste of money for a state that does not have the money. These areas are not booming by any means. No wonder PA has so much debt, we build billions of dollars of road for developers.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seems to be what a lot of people want.
A lot of people also want deep-fried triple bacon cheeseburgers dipped in ranch. That's not to say that the majority always knows what's best.

Sprawl in an area with a stagnant population = Bad.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A lot of people also want deep-fried triple bacon cheeseburgers dipped in ranch. That's not to say that the majority always knows what's best.

Sprawl in an area with a stagnant population = Bad.

I agree. I always thought that beltway was a bad idea from the start, that area is dead. I've driven on the part by the airport, rarely see another car. All transportation money should be focused on The Great White North.

deep-fried triple bacon cheeseburgers dipped in ranch.

I think that's on Primanti's menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh