U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:10 PM

5,895 posts, read 5,712,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwasnik1234 View Post
I've also been trying to research the tax situation. I find it interesting that when houses are listed for sale, like on realtor.com, this info isn't there on the details page on PA real estate. It is on almost all Ohio homes (haven't had to look anywhere else so I can't say about anywhere else). But in reading other comments, taxes seem much higher than we are used to.
For instance, we pay about $4k on our house that we paid $305K for..approx 3000 sq ft plus basement...I'm seeing 6-7 for about the same size home in PA areas...Now I know there are areas around us that the taxes are higher for sure but that's not the norm...
It's also a nasty trick that Allegheny County will reassess your home shortly after your purchase it to tax you at the new purchase price if it's more than its prior tax valuation; basically expect to pay taxes based on what you're paying for the home rather than what the current homeowners are paying in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,168,745 times
Quote:
Thank you...
This this the kind of comparison I was hoping for too. We are in Perry now, About 40 mins east of Cleveland. Pretty podunk but some developments and easy travel to Mentor, Madison or Chardon. We often trVel to Hudson or Medina for boutique shopping.

Where we were at by the Pine Richland schools felt a lot like Bath here in Ohio.

So I guess our search continues! But seems we are going in the right direction. Sounds like cranberry or Sewickley could work for us. We need to go visit the Sewickley area.
You should definitely be able to find boutique shops within 40 minutes of your new home in most Pittsburgh suburbs. I know you said North of Downtown, but if you like that small town feel, check into Mt. Lebanon in Pittsburgh's South Hills.

Also, in terms of property taxes, Allegheny County is more in line with Cuyahoga County, or Franklin County (Columbus). It may even be slightly higher than anything in Ohio, depending on the cost and size of the home you purchase and the school district that you purchase in.

If you use a website like Real Estate and Homes for Sale or www.pittsburghmoves.com , you will be able to see the particular taxes for the homes you're looking at and have a better idea of factoring that into your monthly payment.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 20,392,868 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments so far everyone I'm definitely going to look into the sailing at Lake Arthur more. We drove around the lake a bit and it seems good for someone her size. She's in smaller boats now anyway. Was just hoping there was more of a 'class/camp' offering like she has now. Who knows, maybe someone would do lessons. I saw a post somewhere of some students trying to start a club.
Oh..and sorry..but she's not very interested in rowing.
And Sewickley has been mentioned a few times so looking into that area now

Another question... Is there a Cranberry city and then Cranberry Township?? When we google mapped Cranberry from Lake Arthur when we were there, it gave directions about an hour away and a bit west but Cranberry twp was just a 20 min ride south....??
Cranberry is a town in Venango County. Cranberry Twp. is in Butler County. Almost always when people refer to Cranberry here, they mean Twp. in Butler Co.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Quote:
I've also been trying to research the tax situation. I find it interesting that when houses are listed for sale, like on realtor.com, this info isn't there on the details page on PA real estate. It is on almost all Ohio homes (haven't had to look anywhere else so I can't say about anywhere else). But in reading other comments, taxes seem much higher than we are used to.
For instance, we pay about $4k on our house that we paid $305K for..approx 3000 sq ft plus basement...I'm seeing 6-7 for about the same size home in PA areas...Now I know there are areas around us that the taxes are higher for sure but that's not the norm...
Pennsylvania is a much bluer state than Ohio. You will notice that the overall taxes are higher in PA. Be careful, some of the real estate tax info is misleading because we do not have a statewide assessment here. Each county is different. The best thing to do is find the millage rate for a property. That will give you the best estimate for when the house is sold or assessed.

We also do not get to vote on levies like Ohio. If school boards decide on an increase, then you are stuck with it.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 AM

75 posts, read 75,637 times
My rough comparisons (character/feel, not size or school district). This is how we thought of places during our relocation.

Sewickley ~= Hudson + Chagrin Falls

Wexford ~= Solon + Westlake

Cranberry ~= Solon + Strongsville

Mt. Lebanon ~= Rocky River

Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 AM

8 posts, read 4,277 times
Default Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggMaker View Post
My rough comparisons (character/feel, not size or school district). This is how we thought of places during our relocation.

Sewickley ~= Hudson + Chagrin Falls

Wexford ~= Solon + Westlake

Cranberry ~= Solon + Strongsville

Mt. Lebanon ~= Rocky River

Thank you for this...
And can you tell me what cities make up Cranberry Twp or is that a living area on its own? I am seeing houses I guess that say Cranberry Twp....

Everyone here has been so helpful!!!!

A few last questions about the schools...
Do any offer before/after programs? It seems they all have different start times and versions of middle/elementary.
Just wondering what working parents do.

Any fun summer camps for my daughters age?? (12)

Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Thank you for this...
And can you tell me what cities make up Cranberry Twp or is that a living area on its own? I am seeing houses I guess that say Cranberry Twp....
Local government works differently in Pennsylvania than Ohio. Townships are not like survey townships in Ohio - they are for all intents and purposes coequal with cities. Areas can be in a city, township, or borough, but never more than one at once.

However, one twist in PA is that for some odd reason, zip codes have names, which people often identify with for some reason unbeknownst to me. So for example, places like Wexford, Warrendale, and Glenshaw do not actually exist except as zip codes, and are split among several townships (and boroughs).

Old 08-15-2016, 07:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,168,745 times
Quote:
Thank you for this...
Cranberry Township (16066) is its own municipality in the Seneca Valley School District. There is also the bordering 16046 zip code of Mars, Seven Fields, and Adams Township in the Mars Area School District.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:57 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Cranberry Township (16066) is its own municipality in the Seneca Valley School District. There is also the bordering 16046 zip code of Mars, Seven Fields, and Adams Township in the Mars Area School District.
It should be noted that in Pennsylvania every city or borough must have a unique name, but townships in different counties can frequently have the same name (or share a name with a city or borough). For example, there are 22 Washington Townships in the state.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM

4,240 posts, read 6,033,261 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Sailing/Boating
We are contemplating a job offer that would require us to move from northeast, Ohio to the Pittsburgh area. I have been scouring the Internet, and this site, to research as much as possible before we make a decision. We have taken a couple trips out that way and will continue to do so to find the right area.

Currently, we are in a suburb of Cleveland which allows access to Lake Erie. My daughter, who is 11, is in a sailing program, which is very intense from 9 to 4 every day for 6 weeks over the summer. She loves it and would love to continue sailing. I have found her options to be limited in the Pittsburgh area, except for maybe a limited program on Lake Arthur?? Anywhere else I can look? Also, my husband has a boat so we are looking for a marina. We also heard Lake Arthur had a couple marina's but we must have missed them on our last trip down. We're not really the expensive yacht club type. Suggestions? Which are dumpy? Which are clean? Any have extra amenities like pools or playgrounds??

Home location-

We would both be working in the downtown area and would prefer to live north of Downtown. (It would be a little shorter commute back to our current area to see family.) We spent a little time touring around the Pine Richland school area and like it around there so far. It feels like what we are used to, just hillier and more expensive!
Are there any communities that have small 'downtown' strips or squares with small shops or restaurants? (If anyone is familiar with Northeast Ohio, think Hudson, Chagrin Falls, Medina Sq, or downtown Willoughby, or Burton square.)
We like living in a suburb area but prefer a quick trip into a small town rather than a shopping mecca all the time.
Bottom line, if anyone lives in or can recommend specific communities or subdivisions to search, I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard searching vast areas! We are looking for a neighborhood in the 'burbs, preferably with sidewalks and middle aged families with kids. Not really looking for the 'older' home feel. Probably newish in the 300-400k range. Not necessarily looking to live on top of our neighbors or on a cliff though! I would love to be on a tree lined street rather than a totally new, stripped neighborhood.
Oh, and are there any communities that overlook water? (We are water lovers! Husband is ex Navy and just loves seeing water)

Thank you for any input! I know I have a lot of questions here and am doing my best to research and take notes from old threads.
I think you have figured it out that Pittsburgh is more expensive. It is not as easy as you might think to buy a 3000 square foot house in one of the better school districts for under 400,000. My wife and I are sort of in the market for a house that size in the Fox Chapel Area School District. For starters, I think 3000 is a pretty big house in Pittsburgh. We have come to the realization that even if we spend 500,000 we probably won't like the home. Either bad location or bad home. And then you want "newish" and a larger lot.

Hampton, which is next to our district has some options. Here is one. Still probably, not what you want (it has an above ground pool).

4933 Summit Dr, Allison Park, PA 15101 | MLS #1234756 | Zillow

As far as camps, there are plenty of day camps around town. Most overnight camps are further away. You really have to travel an hour or two to get to one. Popular ones with our friends are religious based, Sheldon Calvery, Summers Best Two Weeks and Emma Kaufman. There is a Y camp up by Conneaut called Camp Kon-o-Kwee.

Since your child likes sailing, we have thought about sending our youngest here next summer.

Camp Sea Gull Camp Seafarer |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or