Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It was a rhetorical question.
So you don't really want to know. I haven't lived in the Pgh area for a long time, don't keep up with all that. I know there was often talk of the little borough where my family lived, Patterson Hts, merging with the larger township, Patterson Township. Never happened, both valued their independence too much. (Beaver County) I recall hearing of some mergers, can't recall the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So you don't really want to know. I haven't lived in the Pgh area for a long time, don't keep up with all that. I know there was often talk of the little borough where my family lived, Patterson Hts, merging with the larger township, Patterson Township. Never happened, both valued their independence too much. (Beaver County) I recall hearing of some mergers, can't recall the details.
I thought that "close to none" was both sufficiently accurate and known to everybody who posts here.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I thought that "close to none" was both sufficiently accurate and known to everybody who posts here.
See this article. Pa. communities often turn to merger or consolidation to ease financial strains | TribLIVE
The Fallston/Patterson Twp proposed merger was the one I was thinking of. Now if there is no interest, there will be no political will, so what exactly is the problem.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The Fallston/Patterson Twp proposed merger was the one I was thinking of. Now if there is no interest, there will be no political will, so what exactly is the problem.
Which is basically what 106 said.

Yes, there is technically an option for mergers, but not anything that could form a large city. Mergers are rare here and those that have happened lately are almost entirely very small places coming together, not a city growing by annexation like you see in the midwest.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times
Moby Hick - I dont know anything about you man, or if you even said it before, but you really should be looking at Urban Areas to compare populations. Pittsburgh's "true feel" population is really over 1.7 million, vs. the city limits which are ~300k.
PA is especially out of whack with super small city limits like Pgh, Hbg, Lancaster.
Btw, Pitt is a really cool city. It's hard to find another city that is exactly like it given its history, geography, and culture.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Moby Hick - I dont know anything about you man, or if you even said it before, but you really should be looking at Urban Areas to compare populations. Pittsburgh's "true feel" population is really over 1.7 million, vs. the city limits which are ~300k.
PA is especially out of whack with super small city limits like Pgh, Hbg, Lancaster.
Btw, Pitt is a really cool city. It's hard to find another city that is exactly like it given its history, geography, and culture.
I will google Pittsburgh's metro population so I know what it feels like to live here in case living here for a dozen years hasn't gotten through to me.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Which is basically what 106 said.

Yes, there is technically an option for mergers, but not anything that could form a large city. Mergers are rare here and those that have happened lately are almost entirely very small places coming together, not a city growing by annexation like you see in the midwest.
The only midwestern city I know of doing that is Omaha, and 1) they have not annexed anything since Elkhorn in 2005, and 2)they can't annex much more because they have already annexed most of Douglas County and as I understand it, can't annex outside the county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkhorn,_Omaha,_Nebraska

Surely you are aware that Pittsburgh did the same thing, annexing "Manchester" (north side), Birmingham (south side) and some other areas, just in a different era?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-24-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Surely you are aware that Pittsburgh did the same thing, annexing "Manchester" (north side), Birmingham (south side) and some other areas, just in a different era?
It was indeed a different era. For example, when Pittsburgh last annexed another city, the automobile was a novelty. That's why Omaha has a metro area where the about half of the people in the metro area live in the city and Pittsburgh is under 1/5th.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times
I would recommend using Urban Area (UA) rather than Metro Area. UA is a better representation because Metro areas (for all cities now) take an entire county even if just a tiny bit of the city area spills into it (so it can end up including far out rural areas). And of course county limits (just like city limits) can be seen as just arbitrary. Urban areas are also defined by the US Census Bureau, but instead follow connected, developed areas and generally represent one labor market.

If your interested type Wiki US Urban Areas - that's the list as of 2010. It has changed since then obviously. Also that list on Wiki includes Puerto Rico cities, which you have to remove. Using this list you can compare US cities with urban areas >50k.

Metro Areas and CSA's tend to go a bit too far. But you can use that too if you want.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It was indeed a different era. For example, when Pittsburgh last annexed another city, the automobile was a novelty. That's why Omaha has a metro area where the about half of the people in the metro area live in the city and Pittsburgh is under 1/5th.
That doesn't make sense to me. Omaha is newer, should have more people in the burbs. But it doesn't. Pittsburgh is at about 1/8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh