U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,370 times

Advertisements

With all due respect Radomom, you're asking a really silly question. Virtually the entire city of Pittsburgh, and many of the towns in the suburban area, are what you would call Old Urbanism, the sort of places that Jane Jacobs wrote about. Granted, many of these old urban neighborhoods have seen better times, and no longer have the complete communities necessary to be a real urban neighborhood. Yet it is possible to revive those with some economic development. But the real answer to your question is that Pittsburgh (along with Philly, Boston, and a few other places) has little need for New Urbanism communities because Old Urbanism already exists in droves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 11:31 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,875,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rextrex View Post
With all due respect Radomom, you're asking a really silly question. Virtually the entire city of Pittsburgh, and many of the towns in the suburban area, are what you would call Old Urbanism, the sort of places that Jane Jacobs wrote about. Granted, many of these old urban neighborhoods have seen better times, and no longer have the complete communities necessary to be a real urban neighborhood. Yet it is possible to revive those with some economic development. But the real answer to your question is that Pittsburgh (along with Philly, Boston, and a few other places) has little need for New Urbanism communities because Old Urbanism already exists in droves.
I just want to note that while it is true many of Pittsburgh's traditional neighborhoods are already along the lines of the New Urbanism, I don't think it was a silly question for someone unfamiliar with Pittsburgh to ask. It just happens to be a question with a very broad answer.

Also, New Urbanism does contemplate "infill" as part of the movement, and I believe it would be correct to suggest that a variety of new development projects in the city (Summerset at Frick Park, South Side Works, Beechwood Commons, the plans for Bakery Square and the Don Allen properties, etc.) are consistent with New Urbanism.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,023 posts, read 60,574,028 times
I agree it was not a silly question. I can't imagine why anyone would say that. "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask." I don't know who said that, but it's true.

New Urbanism seems to have no standard definition. There are some "New Urban" communities in metro Denver that are simply housing developments with retail and office space, in reminiscence of the old Planned Unit Developments. The homes usually have smaller lots, and to compensate there is more open space and generally a neighborhood park. The development may have a recreation building, community pool, etc. Of course, most cities in Colorado require a certain amount of space to be dedicated to parks and open space, anyway, but it is often a selling point. The old Stapleton Airport is being redeveloped into a New Urbanist community. It is much larger than most other New Urban communities. The selling points are as above, and it has/is getting more retail and office space.

The South Side Works seems to me to be mostly retail, similar to some of the newer-style shopping areas in metro Denver such as Boulder's 29th St. Mall, which is a sort of "streetscape" mall. That I mention to give the OP some perspective.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,875,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The South Side Works seems to me to be mostly retail, similar to some of the newer-style shopping areas in metro Denver such as Boulder's 29th St. Mall, which is a sort of "streetscape" mall. That I mention to give the OP some perspective.
Just to explain why I mentioned it, there are actually something like 84 residential units in the South Side Works, I believe called "The Flats at South Side Work", and the new high rise project there is going to include condos.

But it is certainly true that as I understand the term, "new urbanism" can apply to a wide variety of different developments.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,668,839 times
Office is the largest component of SouthSide Works at 610,000 sq. ft. with several more office buildings in the pipeline.

There are several new condo buildings in the pipeline at SSW, including the 23 condos included in the 13-story mixed-use tower along the river.

There is 300,000 sq. ft. of retail with more coming by way of the aforementioned tower.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,392 times
Thank you all for your very helpful information...including Rextrex! (Although I would beg to differ that it's a silly question - It's a discussion for another time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh