Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times

Advertisements

Phiadelphia's duck tours have closed due to insurance problems. I rode the Just Ducky Tour in Pittsburgh. I liked it, though the tour craft is a bit uncomfortable.

Philly duck boats cease operation; Pittsburgh's still swimming | TribLIVE

It's pretty unique so I hope it remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I rode that tour in Philly this summer. For the water-born portion, they had a guy in a shelter on the shore watching the boat the whole time.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Several years ago I witnessed the duck boat almost run over a family of ducks on the North Shore riverwalk. I was up at the Fred Rogers (mud monster) statue, screaming my lungs out for the driver to stop. Luckily he heard me and stopped within a foot or so, I'm sure everyone around me thought I had lost it. I've had a negative opinion of the boats since as the driver clearly wasn't paying attention while driving on a pedestrian walkway. That easily could have been someone's kid.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Never understood the whole land and sea duck concept. It seems tacky. Pittsburgh should just do away with it and start doing more educational tours similar to what the Chicago Architecture Foundation does. Pittsburgh has no shortage of history, great architecture and people who are passionate about it to lead the tours. Boat tours could focus on the history of the rivers, bridges, inclines, and riverfront parts of the skyline. Bus tours could go into Oakland, other parts of downtown, etc. Walking tours could go inside historic buildings, walk historic neighborhoods, and explore urban parks. All this could be done with a docent/tour guide who discusses the architecture and history of the area in a more in depth fashion. Pittsburgh's amazing and unique setting among hills, rivers, and enclaves of neighborhoods deserve better than a duck.

https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/

I know these types of tours exist in Pittsburgh, but a larger and more prominent fleet that goes onto the river as well would boost the presence and popularity of these tours.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Pittsburgh has the Pittsburgh History and Landmark Foundation walking tours in Downtown Pittsburgh. The guided tour is free and goes on for most of the year. The Just Ducky tour is perfect for families with children. The tour also has a history and architecture component. Nothing wrong with Just Ducky Tours.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh has the Pittsburgh History and Landmark Foundation walking tours in Downtown Pittsburgh. The guided tour is free and goes on for most of the year. The Just Ducky tour is perfect for families with children. The tour also has a history and architecture component. Nothing wrong with Just Ducky Tours.
I'm aware of the PHLF tours. Those were the ones I was referring to that should expand to the river, bus, etc.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'm aware of the PHLF tours. Those were the ones I was referring to that should expand to the river, bus, etc.
One issue with this is that boats are expensive to run & maintain & Pittsburgh gets nowhere near the tourist turnover compared to Chicago so such an operation would likely not be economically viable.

There's already a double decker bus tour here.

Personally I found the chicago tour a bit boring but that's just me.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
One issue with this is that boats are expensive to run & maintain & Pittsburgh gets nowhere near the tourist turnover compared to Chicago so such an operation would likely not be economically viable.

There's already a double decker bus tour here.
Not sure if it would be economically viable or not on a daily basis...a weekly tour is another question as well. It is something to look into. I certainly don't think its something to shrug off because of an existing double decker bus and ducky tour. Pittsburgh has many positive assets and needs some strong PR and tourism OPTIONS if they actually want to boost tourism. You have to start somewhere. With the unique setting of Pittsburgh with the rivers, hills and inclines that is so often bragged about (rightfully so) by locals and proponents of the city, I just find it odd that a ducky and the Clipper count as "having it covered" when there are so many opportunities that exist that don't exist in many other cities. I can't even imagine a water based tour in Philly would be that exciting. Pittsburgh's setting is far and away more unique and interesting.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post

Personally I found the chicago tour a bit boring but that's just me.
It is one of the highest rated things to do in Chicago. If you love architecture, it is far, far from boring. There are several tour companies that operate tours as well. Not sure which you did. But if you do an architecture tour and aren't that into architecture...even if its in one of the most interesting cities in the US when it comes to built environment and architecture, yes you will be bored.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Illinois.html

Old 10-18-2016, 09:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
It is one of the highest rated things to do in Chicago. If you love architecture, it is far, far from boring.
To be fair I only did it once & being that all the tourguides are volunteers maybe I just got a dud, but for nearly $50 I wasn't overly impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh