U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,574,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Some people give positive reps with nasty comments.
That's him, guylocke. He's done it to me, and others around the different forums. If anyone says anything bad about Pittsburgh, he gives them a nasty remark. Until recently, only members could give negative rep, so whenever he was banned, he would give a positive rep and make a nasty comment. Now, you can't give negative rep at all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM

7,611 posts, read 10,636,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
This venom has infiltrated the ENTIRE forum lately, not just Pittsburgh. I don't know if people are stir-crazy from being cooped up in their homes all winter or what, but the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum has developed just as much animosity as this one, as have many other forums I've been browsing as of late. I myself have been the main target in that sub-forum simply because someone initially took something I said out of context, I defended myself, others defended her, and VOILA---instant fight. Poor Yac is probably just shaking his head in disbelief at all that has been occurring, but what can he really do? He can't help that the lot of the PA forum has become irritated with one another. I tried staying off of here for a couple of days to see if that would calm things down, but then I noticed a few others who weren't involved in the initial fight arguing amongst one another, and I had to defend the NY/NJ transplants from the natives who were attacking them!

I truly don't know what the answer is. It seems like the answer is always "ban SWB for a week," but whether I'm here or not a lot of that controversy and bickering STILL would have occurred (one thread in particular on the NEPA sub-forum was destined for total disaster from the get-go as it called out the region's "miserable" people and demanded to know why they didn't move out).

If anyone has some solid suggestions on what should be done, I'm sure Yac, otr, etc. would welcome them. I know at least two loyal NEPA members have left for good now because of all of this hatred being spewed out, and God willing if I ever break my own Internet addiction I'll be gone too.
I think it's combination of cabin fever and just a general melt down with stress from the general economy. I know with what I do (janitorial), when the economy is bad, people get messier and ruder about it.

I do find it amazing though when long time posters seem to go over the edge and end up banned....

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 PM

2,902 posts, read 7,046,052 times
Quote:
I do find it amazing though when long time posters seem to go over the edge and end up banned....
Quote:
I was gone for a few days, and was really surprised to come back to see that several posters who seemed "normal" kind of went off the edge over the weekend.
I totally missed something. WHO are we referring to????? LOL.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I totally missed something. WHO are we referring to????? LOL.
Methinks she might be foreshadowing something that is on the verge of happening to you-know-who!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think it's combination of cabin fever and just a general melt down with stress from the general economy. I know with what I do (janitorial), when the economy is bad, people get messier and ruder about it.

People in general just have had shorter fuses since the dawn of 2008. I work in retail, and our customers have been much more impatient, belligerent, etc. over the past several weeks to the point where their sour attitudes make me and my fellow co-workers sour to the point where we make everyone else pessimistic as well. It's like the plague! I wish there was some way that City-Data's members could vent their frustrations about life in general without causing trouble (hint, hint---creation of Mental Wellness sub-forum to Health & Wellness forum!)

Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,840,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Methinks she might be foreshadowing something that is on the verge of happening to you-know-who!
I hope you're not referring to me. I'm hurt if you think I'm a troll.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

7,611 posts, read 10,636,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Well -- as I do believe that foreshadowing is your best entertainment value -- which is a quote from Bloom County -- in this case I don't have a particular person in mind.

It's not just City Data forums -- the About board I visit has gone through some wildness lately.

And honestly, there really is something in the air. I'm happiest right now when the geezers that bother me all day asking questions and then using the information against me (Yeah -- janitorial is just like an Elizabethan Court drama!) LEAVE ME ALONE. I just want to growl at people.

And heck -- I must be good at it -- when I do it at the kitties they run!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Not at all. I was referencing myself. I've created a TON of enemies in 2008 (some legitimately my own fault and some are just chronic annoyances), and I know I'm in the doghouse when it comes to the moderators for my outspoken behaviors. I think I'm at the point where one more slip-up will have me on the outside looking in. If only we could muzzle Ann Coulter or even Michael Moore this easily!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-25-2008 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I just want to growl at people.
And heck -- I must be good at it -- when I do it at the kitties they run!
Oh dear. I growl at my partner all the time, but he seems to enjoy it!
Perhaps it's a friendly growl? WOOF!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,574,028 times
I do not think anyone posting here right now is a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh