Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,355 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a house somewhere in the city limits in Pittsburgh and are thinking about trying Garfield or the Schenley Heights\Upper Hill areas. Does anyone have experience living in either place? Are they safe neighborhoods to live in? We're a 30 something white couple currently living in Bloomfield\Friendship. I like to go for walks at night sometimes. Just looking for any helpful info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha412 View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a house somewhere in the city limits in Pittsburgh and are thinking about trying Garfield or the Schenley Heights\Upper Hill areas. Does anyone have experience living in either place? Are they safe neighborhoods to live in? We're a 30 something white couple currently living in Bloomfield\Friendship. I like to go for walks at night sometimes. Just looking for any helpful info. Thanks!
I don't think we have any posters who live in either neighborhood. I'm more familiar with Garfield, where as most people know it's generally more desirable the closer you are to Penn. I have known some people who live further up the hill, where it's not really horribly unsafe any longer, but the level of blight can affect your life in other ways. For example, the area is full of old tires and other containers full of water, so there's big mosquito issues in the summer time.

Schenley Heights is generally considered to only consist of Schenley Farms Terrace, Andover Terrace, and maybe Dakota Street. The rest is just the Upper Hill/Sugar Top. I don't think it's super unsafe either, but I also don't think that real estate values are appreciating much if it all in the Upper Hill yet, so buying there would be more speculative and could bite you in the butt if you have to move within a few years.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 PM

26 posts, read 26,900 times
I deliver in Garfield everyday ..

NO...you will not be doing any night walks.. Move on...

What about Stanton Heights, morningside or highland park?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmenpg View Post
I deliver in Garfield everyday ..

NO...you will not be doing any night walks.. Move on...

What about Stanton Heights, morningside or highland park?
There is some targeted crime higher up the hill, so you might not be doing any night walks this coming summer, but the summer after that I would imagine the remaining violence will have settled as the area is becoming more desirable.

Garfield is one big hill though, so I hope you like that sort of walking.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 PM

325 posts, read 322,877 times
Neither of these areas are safe yet... Unless u know how to handle yourself I would steer clear... The thing is with these neighborhoods is, everything could be fine and one day you have a problem with somebody in the neighborhood and they notice you.. Then your stuck with the house and have issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: