Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Brackenridge is a river borough up the Allegheny, more or less a "suburb" of Tarentum. This whole area of Allegheny County is in some ways the most isolated built up area in the county, actually to the north and east of New Kensington, well away from the Springdale/Cheswick area, which feels pretty isolated already. Brackenridge has the distinction of being a mill town where the mill (an Allegheny Ludlum facility) is actually still open, although the mill is technically just across the borough line in Harrison Township.

The borough is split into two portions by active fright tracks. The area between the tracks and the river is a bit more mixed use, while the larger area to the north is more strictly residential. Almost all of the housing is detached wood-frame single-family built between roughly 1900 and 1930, although there are a few blocks with newer suburban-style housing. There's not really a true business district, although there more storefronts on the end of Brackenridge Avenue close to the mill, a few of which are still occupied. On the whole, like much of the upper Allegheny Valley, it seems like an area in quiet decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
I really like the Brackenridge / Tarentum / Natrona area. My favorite part is the big riverfront park that spans part of Tarentum and Brackenridge. The houses are affordable, and some have beautiful river views. From what I can tell, the area is generally safe. It's also not a terrible commute down 28, is it? While the homes in Brackenridge are probably post 1890s, there are many pre-Civil War era homes in Natrona and Tarentum. It's a historic and very scenic area.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I really like the Brackenridge / Tarentum / Natrona area. My favorite part is the big riverfront park that spans part of Tarentum and Brackenridge. The houses are affordable, and some have beautiful river views. From what I can tell, the area is generally safe. It's also not a terrible commute down 28, is it? While the homes in Brackenridge are probably post 1890s, there are many pre-Civil War era homes in Natrona and Tarentum. It's a historic and very scenic area.
That area is not safe, I am warning everyone. One spring day seven years ago I was minding my own business digging deck posts. After digging the posts my Mo was to reach into the hole and use my hand to clean out the bottom so the inspectors tape measure would go all the way to the bottom. On this day my process had changed forever. I reached into the hole and I pulled out three hornets, they were the size of hummingbirds. I thought my guys were playing a joke on me placing toys in the hole, but they were alive. I have never found anything out about these creatures and I will never work comfortably in Breckenridge again.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times

http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/hornets-4...eadly-rampage/

Old 10-18-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
They were that size if not bigger but they were black and yellow

Old 10-20-2016, 03:00 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
If there are better chicken wings than those served up at Brackenridge`s Parkview Tavern, I`ve never had them.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They were that size if not bigger but they were black and yellow
The black and yellow version hovered over my head when I was 8 or 9 years old. I was living in Clairton PA (Go Bears!) at the time. It literally looked me in the eyes as if it was curious. I screamed and ran. Nobody believed me. I avoided that section of the back yard until we moved to the city. I am still traumatized and will never forget the loud buzzing sound.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 AM

When they flew away they made a very loud low pitched buzzing sound. I will never reach into the ground again.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Those hornets must be all over. We had a very very angry one beside our front porch steps many summers in a row and it would chase me up the street if I came down those steps - in Brighton Heights where I grew up. It was yellow and black.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
There is a species called the Asian Giant Hornet that fits the description, but they aren't in the US yet. You probably saw Carpenter Bees. They're big, slow and loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh