Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Do that many people (who have a choice) really walk to the grocery store? Just getting a gallon of milk makes me want to drive let alone all the other stuff i pick up.
Of course I don't really enjoy using my time shopping so only make a handful of trips a month (= lots of bags) even though it's really close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
To me taking a loaf of bread on a bus is easier than driving to a grocery store after work for said loaf of bread. Its a loaf of bread, not a bank safe.
I'd be worried about someone bumping into me and smushing the loaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Nobody wants to walk 2 miles round trip just to get groceries - nobody. And carry them on the return trip. in rain, wind, snow, heat, etc. I don't know what kind of alternate universe you exist in. the thing is many people living downtown don't have a car or want to be car-free. It is a very normal idea to have a grocery store in a dense walkable neighborhood. why is this so strange to you?
I suppose whats strange is the desire for every amenity to be available within 10 minutes walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But as grocery delivery services become more popular and widespread, that might be a moot point. If people can afford the high cost of living downtown, they might not blink an eye at spending more for that kind of convenience.
Good point

Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Do that many people (who have a choice) really walk to the grocery store? Just getting a gallon of milk makes me want to drive let alone all the other stuff i pick up.
Of course I don't really enjoy using my time shopping so only make a handful of trips a month (= lots of bags) even though it's really close.
People who choose to live downtown are less likely to own cars. That's part of the allure of downtown living.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I've never really walked to get groceries when I've lived in Pittsburgh. But I did in DC. I basically did a once-a-week trip to the store via the metro, coupled with a once-a-week trip on my bike to Eastern Market. I ate out a good deal, so that about cut it for my meals.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:40 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

I suppose whats strange is the desire for every amenity to be available within 10 minutes walk.

Good point

Why is that strange???

Besides that, somehow you turned food into "every amenity". you need food to live. its a necessity.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:48 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Living downtown isn't that expensive. In fact, in many cases, it's less expensive than living in the East End.

I completely disagree. I can't imagine taking a bus 30 minutes round-trip three times a week for groceries. That's exactly what you'd have to do if you're buying a backpack worth of food at a time. I go grocery shopping 3-4 times a week, myself, but it's a less than five-minute walk.
My wife and I grocery shop daily since having kids. When I was in my 20s I did not keep that much food in the house. I ate out and kept the basics at home.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But as grocery delivery services become more popular and widespread, that might be a moot point. If people can afford the high cost of living downtown, they might not blink an eye at spending more for that kind of convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Are they really growing much though? I sense it is still a niche market. I think even if people use these services sometimes, they still want to go to the actual store to browse sometimes, or they want things quickly and don't want to wait. Most people want options, and having the option of walking to a nearby store is very attractive, and would make downtown a more popular neighborhood.
ZingBasket offers free grocery delivery if your order is >$50, which is very easy to do if you're stocking up for the week, even as just one person. You'd just have to account for tipping your driver (or not tipping, as is the case with our new no-tipping UBER/Postmates entitled East End Millennial sort of culture, but I digress).

As far as "too far to walk" is concerned given how many morbidly obese chain-smokers I see Downtown daily on my walking commute home from my office I'd wager a bet to say if more people would walk places we'd have a healthier city in many ways. My walking commute each way is only 40-45 minutes, and it puts me in such a good mood when I arrive at the office for what is a very stressful job with lots of mandatory overtime.

I see no reason why someone living Downtown couldn't walk to the Allegheny East Giant Eagle, the Lower Hill Shop 'n Save, or the Strip for groceries.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:56 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
ZingBasket offers free grocery delivery if your order is >$50, which is very easy to do if you're stocking up for the week, even as just one person. You'd just have to account for tipping your driver (or not tipping, as is the case with our new no-tipping UBER/Postmates entitled East End Millennial sort of culture, but I digress).

As far as "too far to walk" is concerned given how many morbidly obese chain-smokers I see Downtown daily on my walking commute home from my office I'd wager a bet to say if more people would walk places we'd have a healthier city in many ways. My walking commute each way is only 40-45 minutes, and it puts me in such a good mood when I arrive at the office for what is a very stressful job with lots of mandatory overtime.

I see no reason why someone living Downtown couldn't walk to the Allegheny East Giant Eagle, the Lower Hill Shop 'n Save, or the Strip for groceries.
For most folks living downtown I would wager is isn't about the walking distance at all but about the time. Everyone I know that loves downtown is thin and fit and tends to walk or otherwise avoid driving when possible. The fact of the matter is that most people don't have 8 hour a day jobs. Heck, I work at home so I have zero commute and I don't have time to grocery shop. I've been looking for a delivery service in Lawrenceville. A newborn, two dogs, and 10-12 hour workdays don't really leave me wanting to amend my precious little free time grocery shopping. I'll have to check out ZingBasket.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
I ordered from China Palace in Shadyside on Thursday via GrubHub. I tipped 20% exactly. They let you write in tips online.

Quote:
Not everyone is as obsessive about walking as you are. I know you know this.

Quote:
You need to pick up an order of empathy -- not sympathy, just empathy -- on one of your many multi-mile recreational marches.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:26 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:

I have been living in Downtown for months now, and as I always did on the Hill, walked or bused it to groceries. It's doable, and inexpensive, with a benefit of getting in some exercise.
I am a vast minority, as most people (that I know of) in my building drive or get personal service - rides from a friend, or Access, or cabs/uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh